Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: The Martian

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

The Martian

Last edited by onthewall2983; 09-03-2016 at 09:45 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Love Ridley Scott. I like Matt Damon. Can't wait for this.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    So, the best :-) reviewer here gave The Martian score 90%, ticket bought!

google translate

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Looks great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    saw the movie tonight, and wasn't impressed. it's "gravity 2.0"

not going to launch into spoilers here, but the pacing of the movie just seemed totally off, some minor events get plenty of explanation while seemingly bigger events just get rushed through & brushed off.

it is a great looking film, and while damon & cast were good, the movie never seemed to connect on any emotional level.

the film didn't really bring anything new to the table. it's a collection of parts that have all been done better in other "lost in space" type movies.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I agree. It was alright.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    This actually exceeded my expectations. I found it very entertaining and well-shot (well it's Scott, so of course). I do agree on pacing issues and the latter 30-40 minutes seemed like a pile on of action insertion. But I wouldn't quite say Gravity 2.0, it was definitely, for me, a huge improvement over Gravity with a greater depth of story and ideas.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    I can definitely see the Gravity 2.0 comparison, but I actually mean that as a compliment.

Great movies by great filmmakers and outstanding casts...what's not to like? Sure, the plots are fairly similar, but then the general thrust of MOST space voyages is "get up there, do stuff, survive somehow, then come home," so it doesn't really seem too fair to criticize it for being exactly what it is. If Gravity came out after this we'd be calling it The Martian 2.0 instead, and I'd still like each just as much anyway, so it's whatever.

Anyway, I finally saw this tonight and thought it was great. Really glad to hear that it did so much business, too! Hell, it's actually Ridley Scott's top-grossing film in the U.S., which I hadn't expected to learn.

Speaking of which, I'm glad I could talk the folks into ponying-up for a $5 PPV movie to help it along a little further. Every little bit counts! Wish like HELL I could have seen it in 3D/IMAX, though. I definitely recognized the landscape shots of "Mars" from Lawrence of Arabia, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, and of course Ridley's own Prometheus. Man, those sweeping shots rolling through the mountainscapes must've been to DIE for in theaters.

Oh, and ALSO speaking of which, I absolutely LOVED hearing the entirety of Bowie's "Starman" used so effectively, too (not to mention all those disco classics, lol). It was an awesome little montage-sequence anyway, but seeing the film so soon after Bowie's death really gave the scene an extra kick. As sad as his passing obviously was, I just couldn't could help but think of the celebratory triumph of Blackstar and the impromptu crowd gathered in Brixton to pay tribute to the man during that part of the movie.

I guess I just can't hear "Starman" anymore without thinking of that video of the crowd singing it together that night. As depressing as it might seem to think of all that in the middle of such an uplifting scene, being specifically reminded of THAT video and just how awesome Bowie was in general was really heartwarming and hit JUST the right notes of sentiment and accomplishment the scene was going for anyway.

https://www.facebook.com/coslive/vid...3736709056648/

Anyone else?

Really looking forward to watching it again. Highly recommended.