Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Dark Places

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)

Dark Places

After reading Gone Girl and realizing that an old girlfriend had given me Sharp Objects to read when it came out, i realized that i REALLY liked Gillian Flynn, so i read Dark Places.

I remember thinking that it was the best of the three, and would have made a better movie plot than Gone Girl.

Well, the movie is happening. I guess it's already come out in france, and will premiere in the US on august 7.

Unfortunately, the trailer looks kinda underwhelming to me.

I don't know why David Fincher and Trenticus didn't work on this, and i don't know why Flynn didn't act as the screenwriter. It seems like they had a pretty damn good team/formula with gone girl.
    But as a huge fan of her writing, i am at least hoping it will be good.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I actually saw this movie already, a few weeks ago. I turned on my directv to search for a movie to watch one evening, and it was right there, available to rent for a two days, for like $13. A good friend and I have both read all of Flynn's books and agreed this one was the best of the three, so we were both anticipating this movie pretty highly. I guess that speaks to how well it was made, though, that it was already getting a sort of limited straight-to-rent release more than a month before it's theatrical release here in the US.

It was... okay. Which is a shame, really, because I agree that I think it has the best plot of any of her three books, and I think it should have gotten a more high budget Hollywood treatment à la Gone Girl. I'll be curious to know what you think of it after you see it, @elevenism .

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    my friend Randall wrote it up for CoS and gave it a pretty fair review here

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @natalielair , i agree that it's the best of the 3 books.

i really wish that fincher and trent would have got on top of it and that flynn would have written the screenplay.

i will let you know what i think as soon as i see it.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Watched it today.
    It was ok. Definitely not in the same league as Gone Girl though.
    Not as thrilling or suspenseful. Didn't have the score to lift the whole thing up.
    I liked Theron's performance. My score: 6/10
    Last edited by Deepvoid; 08-17-2015 at 10:09 PM.