Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Emanuel AME Church Attack

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Linked ^^ 2 posts up ^^^
    Last edited by allegro; 06-20-2015 at 03:59 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    maybe another problem worth addressing is that young people are apparently unbelievably fucking stupid

There's two kids here... both of them friends (or at least acquaintances) of Dylann Roof... and they both admit that Dylann flat out told them he was planning on shooting a bunch of people... that he said things like "these people have seven days to live."

And their excuse for not notifying the authorities? "How many people do you know who have actually gone out and killed a bunch of people? It's hard to take seriously."

FUCK YOU. Send these fucking morons to jail too.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    maybe another problem worth addressing is that young people are apparently unbelievably fucking stupid

There's two kids here... both of them friends (or at least acquaintances) of Dylann Roof... and they both admit that Dylann flat out told them he was planning on shooting a bunch of people... that he said things like "these people have seven days to live."

And their excuse for not notifying the authorities? "How many people do you know who have actually gone out and killed a bunch of people? It's hard to take seriously."

FUCK YOU. Send these fucking morons to jail too.
    Yes, they should have gone to the police. I'm not a lawyer, but I'm not sure if they technically broke the law by not doing so, especially if they thought he was just posturing and wasn't actually going to hurt anyone.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I'm sure there's no legal grounds to actually try them as accessories, I'm just stunned. I do not understand how multiple people can be this stupid. This is why I could never be a journalist. I would not have been able to restrain myself from slapping the living shit out of both of them.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'm sure there's no legal grounds to actually try them as accessories, I'm just stunned. I do not understand how multiple people can be this stupid. This is why I could never be a journalist. I would not have been able to restrain myself from slapping the living shit out of both of them.
    Kind of reminds me of the Columbine shooters. How could their parents let them build up a collection of so many guns and not notice or care?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    SC Supreme Court orders new judge in case.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/cha...r-case-n379066

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Some good articles from today's NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/20/op...ston.html?_r=0
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/19/op...r-slavery.html

You can sign a card of condolence, to be sent to the victim's families, here:
    https://act.everytown.org/act/Charle...campaign=share
    Last edited by GulDukat; 06-20-2015 at 06:19 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telee.kom View Post
    But you said it yourself earlier that comparing nations based on terrorist attacks/killing sprees is basically useless because of how sparse they are.
    Then stop using that angle :P
    And if you look closely at the nature of these attacks there is one big difference. Take Breivik in Norway for example, he planed this massacre for years, he amassed immense amount of guns and ammunition on black market and even in different countries, it was calculated mass murder that took a lot of effort from his part. Now if you compare it to killing sprees in America, this is almost exclusively not the case. People who got on a killing spree in USA usually just take what they have laying around at home, kid who wants to go about shoot up his school saves the trouble of buying a gun from black market, he can legally buy it without any trouble or use whatever gun his parents have at home.
    ummm
    I really don't think that's the case but would have to verify. This church attack was clearly planned for a while. The UCSB shooter had to actually **make** his guns. I mean, even the Boston Bombers spent a shitload of time planning and their resources were incredibly easy to come by.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Here's the problem... someone out there took this picture... and never thought that maybe something really sucked about this person. Maybe share this picture with the authorities, and tell them that he's a fucking lunatic?

cause it looks like a fucking parody picture. this kid is a clown along the lines of: (edit: not kid, but fuck does that ridiculous haircut make him look like a child)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Some good articles from today's NYT:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/19/op...r-slavery.html
    He's totally right, here.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    I always look forward to Killer Mike's commentary on race related topics.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...ng-gun-control

What happened in Charleston is an act of terror committed by a terrorist. Simple & plain. I wish those folks in that church had been armed
    -- Killer Mike (@KillerMikeGTO) June 18, 2015

@tranqy yet it Wud have lessened that body count. For that reason I strongly disagree with you.

@tranqy I know no one attacks NRA meetings. Wonder why?

@voiceofrazin not Now. We too far into the race now

@liam96murphy I will NEVER be pro gun control. long as blacks can be killed by the state and terrorist. Nah umma be pro save yo own life

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    NRA pundits have been saying that people in that church should have been armed. How fucking unsafe is your country when the solution you're advocating is that every citizen should be armed... just in case.

Is this Iraq or the United States of America?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    NRA pundits have been saying that people in that church should have been armed. How fucking unsafe is your country when the solution you're advocating is that every citizen should be armed... just in case.

Is this Iraq or the United States of America?
    I agree, that's just stupid. They were in a prayer meeting in CHURCH, that's no place for that behavior. Their religious beliefs probably wouldn't allow it, anyway.

Here is a NY Times photo essay about attacks on African American churches

List of burned African American churches in 1996, alone
    Last edited by allegro; 06-21-2015 at 01:52 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/south-ca...o-remove-flag/

Hmm this is very interesting to me and I would almost say groundbreaking, since so many Americans I talked to take freedom of speech as this absolute concept gliding above everything and take it almost personally, when I say that I'm okay with my country having a ban on Nazi symbolism. I doubt this bill will pass though. Still interesting that something like this is even being discussed in USA.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/south-ca...o-remove-flag/

Hmm this is very interesting to me and I would almost say groundbreaking, since so many Americans I talked to take freedom of speech as this absolute concept gliding above everything and take it almost personally, when I say that I'm okay with my country having a ban on Nazi symbolism. I doubt this bill will pass though. Still interesting that something like this is even being discussed in USA.
    I'm pretty sure that is that only state that still flies the Confederate flag, which many Americans consider treason since that was a symbol of secession of the South during the Civil War. It's not considered free speech, it's considered inflammatory. We do have limits on free speech.

See this.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-22-2015 at 02:25 PM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Random General Headlines

^^^^ it all depends on where in the US you are from, how you view the confederate flag. My BF has been in Texas so long, he doesn't have an opinion on that flag, but he doesn't think it represents racism. I hate arguing with him about it.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/...federate-flag/

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I'm pretty sure that is that only state that still flies the Confederate flag, which many Americans consider treason since that was a symbol of secession of the South during the Civil War. It's not considered free speech, it's considered inflammatory. We do have limits on free speech.

See this.

Further... This is for taking it down from a public resource. Nobody is saying that people are unable to display this flag on their own property. They just don't want it to be state operated.

We have seen similar things like this pertaining to displays of religious views within govt property too.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    ^^^^ it all depends on where in the US you are from, how you view the confederate flag. My BF has been in Texas so long, he doesn't have an opinion on that flag, but he doesn't think it represents racism.
    Yeah, that's the excuse all white Southerners who want to brush it all under the rug give. Like "that Nazi flag was just a symbol of Germany." Tell the nearest black dude that the Confederate flag is just a "symbol of freedom." Uh-huh. I'm sure they love that as much as hearing a bunch of white dudes yell "YEEEEEEE-HAWWWWWWWWWWWW."

Meanwhile, all of my relatives came here from somewhere else well after slavery was abolished so I got nothing except ... that's a stupid flag. And I don't GET this "north vs. south" CRAP 200+ years later, from either side. Move on.

Hey, speaking of Nazis ... last night, I was watching a whole bunch of Nazi stuff on the NatGeo channel, including a thing about Anne Frank and how she and her sister, Margot, were transferred from Auschwitz to Bergen-Belsen which, unfortunately, was bad for them because it led to their demise and they may have survived Auschwitz; anyway, once Bergen-Belsen was finally liberated by the British, a British photojournalist -- George Rodger -- documented it all in graphic photographs that exposed the horrors to the world.

The show indicated that George's GRANDSON was that weirdo guy who killed all those people at Isla Vista CA in 2014 because chicks wouldn't date him.

Wtf.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-22-2015 at 06:22 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    the "Southern Avenger" defended the shit out of that flag, but read what he has to say now: http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...rate-flag.html

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    the "Southern Avenger" defended the shit out of that flag, but read what he has to say now: http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...rate-flag.html
    Wow, that is a GREAT essay.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Wow, that is a GREAT essay.
    It's the best I've seen, even if you factor out his history. His history adds a pretty heavy impact though. It will certainly make many of the confederate flag fans much more likely to hear the message.

I actually feel bad for the guy getting kicked out of the Paul campaign a while back. I really thought he deserved it. But now I'm seeing that he was basically blocked from committing his efforts into the very movement that changed his line of thinking here. Yet... maybe it was being kicked out that further lead him to being so public about his new views?

I don't care what your politics are or what causes you to think this way, but it would be incredible if the country had a "mass enlightenment" that caused everyone to shift how they see others in a similar way as this:

"My attraction to libertarianism a number of years ago began a journey of rejecting groupthink and placing primacy on the individual. Once you start down the path of putting individual human beings above whatever group they belong to, it puts politics—and everything else—in a new light."

"Ideologues ridicule and dehumanize people at the expense of their personhood. ... It’s crude collectivist thinking. It’s an intentional lack of sympathy. It’s dehumanization. It’s at the heart of everything that’s wrong with our politics and culture."

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    In short video form for sharing with your less literate friends and family:

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    It's the best I've seen, even if you factor out his history.
    You went off on too much of a libertarian crap deep end for me, wherein HE didn't.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-23-2015 at 07:33 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Paul Thurmond calls for Confederate flag to come down:
    http://www.postandcourier.com/articl...g-to-come-down

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    You went off on too much of a libertarian crap deep end for me, wherein HE didn't.
    It's what I'm good for!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Paul Thurmond calls for Confederate flag to come down:
    http://www.postandcourier.com/articl...g-to-come-down
    “For the life of me, I will never understand how anyone could fight a civil war based in part on the desire to continue the practice of slavery,” Thurmond said.

Amen to that.

Signed,
    a Dutch-American girl.

The thing that I don't get is that it's Federally illegal for any flag to fly higher than the American flag in this country, so when the American flag was at half-mast in South Carolina but the Confederate flag was permanently at full mast, that seems to be against Federal law.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-23-2015 at 10:49 PM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Fucking hell.