Thread: Stephen King's IT

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    Can you smell the circus, Georgie?
    It's just so great... That scene alone is better than anything in the 1990 version...

Some thoughts about the 4 minute clip, with spoiler tags for those who want to hold off until it is released,

Spoiler: Ok, it's brilliant. The final shot of Pennywise holding out the boat is absolutely beautiful. Also, the whole "Popcorn! Is that your favorite? It's mine too, because they pop! POP POP POP!!!!" bit is genius, and the slow dissolve into a menacing frown cutting off the laughter... just holy shit. All the details, his highlighted eyes, the drool when he says "can you smell the circus?!" The strange "thoughtful side glance" he makes during the "Pennywise, meet Georgie" bit... it's like he's a kid, remembering his manners. It's faultless. The sad, concerned, mocking look on his face when he says "Remember, Bill's gonna kill you" is insane...

My only "hmmmmph" moment was the sort of beast growl that accompanies the moment where Pennywise opens his eyes felt a little cheap and over-the-top... Then again, I watched it from a cell-phone taping, so maybe it has a better impact in person. Small quibble, I know, but that sort of stuff sticks out at me. I really do wish I had a better audio recording, because it sounds like there's some voice murmuring something in the drain water...

Also, I'm just assuming this isn't just a truncated scene from the movie... There's an important line of dialogue between Pennywise and Georgie that's missing... the line about stuff floating? Given how they've hammered that home as the tagline to the project, it's gotta be in there. Maybe that part of the exchange happens in the segment that's missing at the end of the clip?

Whatever, we've only seen the opening now, and already that's some iconic stuff in there. That's the "hail Satan!" moment from Rosemary's Baby. That's the blood pouring out of the elevator in The Shining. That's the Halloween theme song. I've watched it maybe twenty times now, and it's obvious that the people putting this together are as obsessed with the source material as I am, and they're not just treating this like a horror-season blockbuster home run.

They're trying to make something classic, and if the rest of the movie is half as good as those four minutes, it's gonna be classic.

Must control the hype...

Last edited by Jinsai; 08-14-2017 at 12:44 AM.