Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Black Mass

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Black Mass

No thread? This movie looks incredible.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I'm stoked to see Depp in this, maybe this will be for him what i had hoped Transcendence would be.

I definitely love when he does films like this, i loved Donnie Brasco and even though most people hated it i really enjoyed Public Enemies.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    I'm stoked to see Depp in this, maybe this will be for him what i had hoped Transcendence would be.

I definitely love when he does films like this, i loved Donnie Brasco and even though most people hated it i really enjoyed Public Enemies.
    I also loved Donnie Brasco. Public Enemies is a favorite film of mine that stars him. I also liked Blow. I think he does extremely well with period acting (Ed Wood, Public Enemies, etc.) and is good at a wide variety of characters. I usually get shit on and made fun of, but Depp is probably my favorite movie actor. I have a decent sized video library of his works too.

Anyways, I can't wait to see this. Might see it in theaters too! I haven't seen a movie in cinema since Hangover Part III. Been awhile haha.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I really liked this director's last movie (Out of the Furnace), and Depp looks to be in rare, great form. Pretty incredible trailer to boot. How could I not be in for this? And it's nice to see a fellow Public Enemies fan! That seems to be an oddly polarizing film. There's some stealthily melancholy storytelling going on in that flick, and Mann's action/directing chops are as good as they ever were.

But yeah, Black Mass. Psyched. The cast seals the deal for me: Edgerton, Bacon, Stoll, etc. So down.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm not crazy about the title, sounds like a video game.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I'm not crazy about the title, sounds like a video game.
    You said the same thing about Fight Club

and Miss Congeniality.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I hope they use the Danzig song of the same name in the film.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I hope they use the Danzig song of the same name in the film.
    That'd be cool haha.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Just watched the trailer then. Is there anything Depp can't do?! Jesus.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I keep reading this thread title as "Black Mesa" and the I get sad that it isn't a Half Life movie...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Saw this yesterday. Depp is appropriately menacing, but the performance isn't limited to just that. People complain about the glut of Boston crime movies, but they've all been good for me. And this is no exception.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    One of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Great, great film. Hoping Depp wins either an Oscar or Golden Globe for his performance.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I made the mistake of watching the documentary about him on Netflix before seeing the movie. I think that greaty wore down my enjoyment of the film. The true story was so much more interesting that what was shown in Black Mass.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I watched the documentary and a lot of stuff on 60 Minutes about him too. It didn't affect my own enjoyment too much, but I think a film about him hiding out would have been much more interesting. Ed Harris as Charlie Gasko would be almost better I think.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I watched the documentary and a lot of stuff on 60 Minutes about him too. It didn't affect my own enjoyment too much, but I think a film about him hiding out would have been much more interesting. Ed Harris as Charlie Gasko would be almost better I think.
    The hiding out and how the FBI eventually found him would have been interesting. But in his criminal life there were lots of twists and turns that could have been done better than Black Mass IMO.