Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Top Five Movies of 2016 (thus far)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Top Five Movies of 2016 (thus far)

As November rapidly approaches, we are getting into peak award season. Studios are slowly trodding out more of their movies they think can win an Oscar, Golden Globe, etc. So not everything great is out yet (Moonlight, for example, is just now starting in limited release), but here are my favorite five movies of the year, with a few more mentions too.

This might not be the best movie of the year from a traditional critical standpoint, but it's my favorite by far. Most unique and original horror movie I have seen in many years. It strives to be as authentic to the Puritan 1600's colonial America as it can be, right down to the olde English being spoken. It's so authentic that you really, really should see it with subtitles. The sense of dread is in this movie is off the charts, as you just know things are not going to go well for this family. The end is as intense, cool, subversive, unnerving and different as I've ever seen. Anya Taylor-Joy is a revelation in it, and Ralph Ineson is great as the dad who has the weight of the world on his shoulders bc of what he's done to his family. Highly recommended, part. right now as Halloween approaches. Perfect movie for the season.

The studio that put this out is A24. These people have had an amazing track record since starting in 2013: Spring Breakers, Spectacular Now, Under The Skin, Locke, Obvious Child, A Most Violent Year, While We're Young, Ex Machina, Slow West, The End of the Tour, Room, Mojave, Krisha, Green Room, The Lobster, De Palma, Swiss Army Man & Moonlight just to name a bunch. It's to the point where you can almost certainly trust anything they put out.

Otherwise known as Avengers 2.5. A very worthy follow-up to the fantastic Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Way better Avengers movie than Age of Ultron was. This does everything that the DC movies haven't been able to thus far. The Russo brothers juggle all the characters perfectly, with everyone getting just the right amount of screen time. The movie overall is just SO MUCH FUN. Especially the airport scene, which is arguably the best superhero action scene we've seen. Just pure fanboy overload, with a great balance of drama, high stakes, comedy & development for Rogers & Stark.

This caught me off-guard. I heard it was good of course, but wow...so powerful and not what I expected. This covers the return of a long lost family member on Thanksgiving. Wikipedia says "Krisha returns for Thanksgiving dinner after ten years away from her family, but past demons threaten to ruin the festivities." It gets VERY dark. Directorial debut for Trey Edward Shults, and it's a semi-biographical story, dealing with the demons in his own family history. Very impressive for a first movie. Krisha Fairchild stars as the family member returning, and is the director's actual aunt and one of the few trained actors to start in it. She is fascinating in the role.

Took a nice long lunch at work a few weeks ago and walked over to the Sunshine on Houston Street and watched this. Deals with a highly educated & well rounded dad (and a bit of an anarchist) who has raised his 6 kids in the woods completely away from society, teaching them himself. An event forces him to bring his kids back around the rest of the family back in the real world. You'll laugh & you'll cry equally. The characterization is top notch, and you will absolutely care deeply about all of the children. It's shot beautifully as well, with beautiful cinematography in the woods of Oregon I believe. Just a really beautiful, heartwarming (not cheesy though at all) movie that makes you think about yourself and how you relate to modern society.

This might be the best "child comes back from big city to hometown to deal with his family's shit" movie you'll ever see. It's a semi-biographical comedy/drama written & directed by Chris Kelly, one of the main writers on SNL. Hopefully this is the role that catapults Jesse Plemons into bigger things. I've never seen Molly Shanno in anything serious, and she is amazing too (could see a Supporting Actress nomination for her role as the mother dying of cancer). If you've had cancer in your family like I have, you'll be cryin' hard most likely.

Other Notables:

Green Room- (this was in my top five until I watch Other People)....intense, dark thriller about a punk band who gets booked onto a show at the last minute, and it turns out to be a skinhead show. Things go downhill fast for them. Patrick Stewart goes against type as the skinhead leader.

Weiner- this documentary about Anthony Weiner's 2013 mayoral run had a level of inside access to a campaign that is never really seen. And then when things start crashing down around everyone bc of yet another dick pic scandal, we see what really happens to a candidate and those around him. It's even more relevant now after his latest scandal and his now ex-wife's continued relevance in Hillary's campaign.

Moonlight- didn't see yet but this is shaping up to be a big nominee come award season. Deals with a gay black man at 3 different points in his life.

Little Miss Stevens
    Little Prince
    Swiss Army Man
    Blue Jay
    The Shallows (Blake Lively can act yo)
    De Palma
    Popstar
    The Lobster
    13th

Post yours!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Oh man, that reminds me that I have to watch more movies. I'm right now in the middle of pre-production for my next short film, so since I'm working on being a director I should definitely ramp up my consumption. Where's the goddamn time?

Thanks for your list, I haven't seen a single one of those films but I will try to work through it!

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    01 Green Room
    02 Civil War
    03 Hell Or High Water
    04 The Nice Guys
    05 Don't Breathe/Deadpool

Still need to see: Swiss Army Man, Snowden, The Accountant

Agreed that Popstar was great.
    Last edited by Swykk; 10-27-2016 at 09:24 AM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Here's my current list right now: http://letterboxd.com/thevoid99/list/the-best-of-2016/

I haven't seen a lot of new films this year as I've been going through a drought as of late as I haven't been to the movie theaters since June. Too many good movies didn't play at my local multiplex and they would be gone the next week in favor of bullshit.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    From what I've seen...

Captain America: Civil War
    Deadpool
    Zootopia
    10 Cloverfield Lane
    Star Trek Beyond

I've only seen about 11 movies out of the year so far.
    http://www.flickchart.com/Charts.asp...helastdisciple

The Witch prob would be on this list but it's technically from 2015.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Mad Max
    Sicario

nothing else matters

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Both of those are from last year.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    Both of those are from last year.

Whooooooops!

Suicide Squad and Zoolander 2 then

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Biggest surprise for me was....Dr Strange..wonderful fantasy movie ....Tilda Swinton, Benedict Cumberbatch, Rachel McAdams, the best visual effects i have ever seen, loved it, just really engaging, fun, I hate the Marvel and DC adaptions and all the tired Superman Vs Batman superhero bullshit. Its all been so sub par.
    This was on a totally different level...totally agree with the critics who love it.

Was expecting it to suck ...but its brilliant.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    10 Cloverfield Lane
    X-Men: Apocalypse
    (This was the best superhero movie of the year. I wonder if I'm alone in feeling this way.)
    The Dark Horse
    The Witch
    Creep
    Last edited by cashpiles (closed); 10-27-2016 at 11:29 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    @Exocet, how much does Dr. Strange interact with current Marvel lore?
    @cashpiles, I didnt get the hate for X-Men either. I enjoyed it greatly for what it was. I guess bc it came out so close to Civil War and that one is obviously so much better, people couldnt help but to shit it on it more as a result. Most people really hated the depiction of Apocalypse himself.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    @bobbie solo , I actually thought X-Men: Apocalypse was better than Civil War (in my opinion Winter Soldier was much better than Civil War).

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    5. 10 Cloverfield Lane - Nice suspense thriller from beginning to end - John Goodman does a perfect job of switching between likeable and menacing.

4. Deadpool - In an age of serious superhero movies with dark color pallets and gritty overtones, it's good to see a film that doesn't take itself too seriously or pander to a mainstream audience. Reynolds takes a good script and makes it great, with stylish directing throughout.

3. Captain America: Civl War - The film has an intriguing story, but you can just as easily turn off your brain and enjoy the killer action scenes. It's a victory lap for the MCU that doesn't rest on any laurels.

2. Kizumonogatari Part I - I've been anticipating this film for five years and it's everything I expected it to be, and then some - the blend of hand-drawn characters mixed with CGI backgrounds shouldn't work, but they did a phenomenal job with the art direction. And this is only part one of three!

1. The Nice Guys - Gosling and Crowe are pure magic in this film - fluid, fun story with excellent pace, great direction that never feels too invasive, and a very likeable cast. The best part might have been the jokes, which rely heavily on callbacks to earlier scenes; this makes for constantly rewarding payoffs that beg for multiple viewings.
    Last edited by Presideo; 10-29-2016 at 07:43 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Thrilled to see Hell or High Water gets a few GG noms. Just saw it last week and it deserves them, but didn't think it would get them. Moonlight also did better than I thought it would.

Musicals are the fucking worst, and considering the subject matter & people involved, I will assume La La Land is gonna run away with the awards, as Hollywood loooooves to jerk itself off. And that movie is just big ol' Hollywood/LA wankfest similar to that B&W silent film nonsense from a few years ago. Ugh.

Gotta see Elle. Supposedly she is in the lead for best actress. Would love to see Amy Adams get it though as she completely carries Arrival acting-wise.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Thrilled to see Hell or High Water gets a few GG noms. Just saw it last week and it deserves them, but didn't think it would get them. Moonlight also did better than I thought it would.

Musicals are the fucking worst, and considering the subject matter & people involved, I will assume La La Land is gonna run away with the awards, as Hollywood loooooves to jerk itself off. And that movie is just big ol' Hollywood/LA wankfest similar to that B&W silent film nonsense from a few years ago. Ugh.

Gotta see Elle. Supposedly she is in the lead for best actress. Would love to see Amy Adams get it though as she completely carries Arrival acting-wise.
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who cannot stand musicals.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who cannot stand musicals.
    That makes us three.

On topic - I liked The Invitation a lot, Green room was great and Arrival totally surprised me in a good way.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I don't particularly like musicals but Damien Chazelle is awesome and everything I've seen from La La Land so far looks great.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    1. The Revenant
    2. Deadpool
    3. The Invitation
    4. The Neon Demon
    5. The VVitch

Kind of cheating a bit since The Revenant, The Invitation, and The VVitch all premiered last year, but they didn't see wide release until this year.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    1. Kubo and the Two Strings
    2. Hunt for the Wilderpeople
    3. Arrival
    4. The Jungle Book
    5. The VVitch

Rogue One will likely bump The VVitch off this list, then move most or all others down a spot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Bound to edit this list as I recall more movies seen this past year...

So far:

1. The Witch
    2. Arrival
    3. Moonlight
    4. Jackie
    5. Kubo and the Two Strings

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Yeah Arrival & Moonlight snuck up on me after my initial post. Tough to decide. Kubo had probably the best animation yet from that studio.

The Handmaiden blew my mind. Saw the other night. Writer/Director of Old Boy.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Train to Busan
    Arrival
    Sing Street
    Green Room
    Barbershop: The Next Cut

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    The Handmaiden blew my mind. Saw the other night. Writer/Director of Old Boy.
    Agreed 100% - there wasn't a single dull moment in this film; wonderful script, perfect acting, and set designs to die for!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    1 - The Lobster
    2 - Gary Numan's Android in LA LA Land
    3 - Suburra
    4 - Deadpool
    5 - Love and Mercy

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I haven't seen that many movies, so for me it is only a Top Three, consisting of:

- The Handmaiden
    - Paterson
    - Deadpool

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The Invitation
    Nocturnal Animals
    The Nice Guys

I have lost count how many times I've watched The Invitation. I think it's a masterpiece and I show it to everyone (it's still on Netflix by the way).

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Presideo View Post
    Agreed 100% - there wasn't a single dull moment in this film; wonderful script, perfect acting, and set designs to die for!
    and on a more base level, super hot asian scissoring!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    La La Land and Blue Jay are the top for me at the moment, need to catch a few more to fill out the other spots.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Didn't see many good movies this year. I know there were some great indie gems, but I was so busy that I even missed the chance to watch Star Trek Beyond and Star Wars: Rogue One in theaters. Of those I did see, I loved:
    La La Land
    Captain America: Civil War
    Deadpool
    Doctor Strange
    The Accountant

Honorable mentions: X-Men: Apocalypse, Central Intelligence, The Shallows and War Dogs.

I liked The Lobster, but I wasn't a huge fan of it. Still, good to see more Greek directors getting to work with A-List Hollywood actors. Colin Farrell's line about considering going on vacation to a Greek island fucking cracked me up. We Greeks never shut up about how great our islands are for summer vacation, so Lanthimos had to throw that in, naturally.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    1. The Witch
    2. Arrival
    3. The Conjuring 2
    4. The Lobster
    5. Deepwater Horizon

I think we can count The Witch as 2016, those of us who didn't make it to sundance or whatever
    The Lobster's first 45 min or so were INCREDIBLE, but then kind of fell apart for me as i think the director sort of ran out of things to say.

I didn't see SHIT from 2016.
    I have a feeling this list will change as i see more movies.