Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: X-Men: Apocalypse (try not to act like twats)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Another random thing I noticed & forgot to post before: someone on the set design team is a deathcore/Eddie Hermida fan. When they're in the black kids room on the farm, there are posters up for All Shall Perish, Suicide Silence & Dr. Acula. Those bands suck other than ASP, but still funny to see.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I have never been that interested in the X-Men franchise but I am EXTREMELY interested in seeing Logan. I said what the fuck and bought a 2 pack blu-ray that has X-Men Origins: Wolverine and The Wolverine to gear up.
    The Wolverine is pretty good, re-watched it Sunday night after seeing Logan. Origins is complete trash.
    Last edited by kdrcraig; 03-07-2017 at 07:59 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    The fact that Logan had actual consequences separated it from so many other superhero movies.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    So I'm realizing I haven't seen The Wolverine, X-Men: DOFP ooor Apocalypse. Will I be okay seeing Logan just outright or are those part of the required reading for Logan?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    So I'm realizing I haven't seen The Wolverine, X-Men: DOFP ooor Apocalypse. Will I be okay seeing Logan just outright or are those part of the required reading for Logan?
    I think Logan can, and is somewhat meant to, stand on its own pretty well. You should definitely at least watch DOFP though because it is excellent.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Shouldn't have wasted your $. They're both complete garbage movies & nothing that occurs in them is needed to understand Logan. Nothing. If anything, watch the X-Men movies, not the Wolverine ones.

But def. see Logan anyway.
    i agree with you on Origins but The Wolverine is GREAT. good story, good character development, lots of fun, and more than one interesting villain.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Shouldn't have wasted your $. They're both complete garbage movies & nothing that occurs in them is needed to understand Logan. Nothing. If anything, watch the X-Men movies, not the Wolverine ones.

Blu-rays has 7.50 off Logan voucher so whatever.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Yea, The Wolverine was great aside from the silly ending.

Logan was simply fantastic. The direction, and especially the acting was so on point, it made me forget I was watching a superhero movie (Even though I would argue it is much more than that) with the way they humanized these characters we have been connected to for all these years. I was a bit confused at first with the scene in the farm house with Xavier and X-24; I was convinced it was a dream sequence until I realized it was in real time. The first and second half of the film seem like completely different movies at some points, but I think that gives a movie a bit more affection. Even though the timeline is like cerebral spaghetti, it was still really cool to hear the tie ins that Xavier threw out there like how Wolverine was a cage fighter, the set up Xavier had where he was being held having the ceiling around him depict cerebro, the fight at the statue of liberty, the sword from The Wolverine, the dog tags from Origins... it was all done so well with attention to detail the movie possessed. X-23 was a pleasant surprise the entire time and was a redeeming factor for all the drama and seriousness that came with this film. Caliban... feel for ya brotha. I was really hoping that Sinister was going to pop up somewhere here, or even an old X-men character in the end. All in all, it was nice to see Logan actually and genuinely happy; ironically, it was during his last moments.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)

Oh yeah, those movies are utter trash. I didn't even watch the second one, but after watching the first one and the trailer for the second I already knew I was going to have no interest in the second one. Funny thing is, I went into Logan saying "If this sucks I am never seeing another comic book move in my life", luckily it didn't suck... I guess that's lucky... just means I have to go spend more money on these films still lol.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I'm 45 years old, so, I grew up on the Uncanny X-Men of the 70s, Wolverine's first limited series (on which The Wolverine was loosely based) of the 80s, and continued collecting through the 90s. This is the first movie that got Wolverine 100% right: He has always been the most violent character in Marvel's history. I still remember the way he shredded an army of guards of the Hellfire Club in the original Dark Phoenix story arc (Those few who survived were later seen with bionic limbs that Wolverine had sliced off, in The New Mutants). Really glad that they went with the hard R-rating as this is what he was. As for some who think they did not get the essence of Wolverine right, well, I disagree: They DID get him right IMO. There have been many iterations, timelines, etc., in the comics, so, any gripes about the rebooted timelines? That happened in the comic books too. At his core, I liked Wolverine because he was this loner who really did yearn for a family, which he found with the X-Men. He was not selfish; no, he had a heroic part of him that was often at odds with his primal side. That conflict is what made him interesting and sympathetic to me. So, we see that in Logan: He wants to be left alone, in anonymity, yet, cares for Professor X in his debilitated state. He also is slow to warm to Laura. For example, I like how he pulled away from her as she attempted to hold his hand in a key emotional moment. He let it linger for a moment before that damaged side caused him to pull away from any intimacy she offered. I liked that it wasn't cheesy and, again, true to his conflicted character. As for the family scene that many question? I think, again, that there was a "selfish" side for Logan/Laura/Professor X that wanted to feel a sense of "normalcy" where they could experience a piece of humanity in the midst of all that despair, isolation and violence. The moment they share at the dinner table is so damn poignant: Sure they knew deep down that this was something they could never...well, you know the rest. But, for a moment, they let themselves forget about it in an (ironically) human moment. But of course, it couldn't last and led to the climactic ending. Finally, to me, the true villain of this film was not some big bad (I'm glad that they did not add Sabre Tooth, Sinister or anyone else as it would have just seemed forced and pandering); the true villain was regret and mortality. From Professor X's "incident" to Logan's countless kills (justified or not), they were literally and figuratively scarred by the wars they had experienced. It was heart-breaking seeing Professor X's gifted mind turn against him, just as Logan's body was slowly killing him. Even as they faced this, their greatest enemy, they fought to save the future represented by Laura and her young colleagues. So, I commend all those involved for making a movie about facing one's mortality, regret and, in the end, some form of hope in the unwritten future.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    So obviously they needed the R rating to finally show how violent of a character Wolverine was in the comics, but was there ever that much cursing in an X-Men/Wolverine comic?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i agree with you on Origins but The Wolverine is GREAT. good story, good character development, lots of fun, and more than one interesting villain.
    The complete shit editing in that movie is responsible for why I can't stand it.

[QUOTE][When Viper is walking into Shingen's office she is taking off her glove as she is entering, camera pans to Shingen, then back to her and she is taking off her glove again./QUOTE]
    During dinner, Mariko removes upright chopsticks from Logan's bowl and places them on the table while explaining it is considered bad luck in Japanese culture. Their conversation continues for a few minutes. Near the end of the scene, the chopsticks are again standing upright again in the bowl and she once more removes them and places on the table.
    This one continues:
    [QUOTE][This is not a goof but it's intended to remark that Logan doesn't take seriously Japanese customs for he repeats the inconvenience some minutes later. During the conversation you can see Logan making some movements in his plate, and he is unseen much of the time, so it's possible that he puts his chopsticks upright again./QUOTE]
    That's a huge fucking stretch.

At any rate, those are the two that stand out the most every time I think about that movie. It was supposed to be R-rated and Darren Aronofsky was supposed to direct. Oh well, at least Logan is good.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Saw Logan last night. Goddamn what a wonderful film. It had everything. Well done all around.

Spoiler: The moment Laura calls Logan "Daddy" while he was dying just absolutely broke my heart.

Just thinking about the end again has me like:

Last edited by Bachy; 03-10-2017 at 02:43 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    i really liked the turning of the cross into an X

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Watched it last night, it's the best comic book film I've seen for yonks! I love how it didn't rely too much on overblown CGI spectacles, and the interactions between Laura, Logan and Charles is so well-written and cool. I was surprised with how heavy, violent and emotionally hard-hitting it all was, especially the fight at that family's barn, Charles' seizure at the hotel and the last few moments. So damn intense! Also, I feel like the violence and overall grittiness is totally justified, it's fucking Wolverine! Some scenes where the pace slowed down a bit reminded me of The Last of Us. I wonder if James Mangold and the other writers were inspired by it? It's such a brilliant and engrossing film that somewhat breaks away from the standard superhero movie conventions in a great way. It felt like you went on a major emotional rollercoaster as the end credits rolled.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    - Gabriella's video editing skills were ON POINT for a nurse.
    I LOL'd at that, too. Then again, it's 2029, so video editing may have become easier? I've seen kids chopping shit like pros with their motherfucking Vine apps.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    If anyone is planning on pirating this, make sure you don't watch the copy with Asian (Chinese?) subtitles. I saw this in the theater and loved it, wanted to watch it again last night and realized A LOT was cut in the version I watched.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Logan and Legion sitting on a tree, F-U-C-K-I-N-G my brains up. Holy shit. Superhero entertainment has come a long way, baby.