Thread: The Childfree and/or Unmarried Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    That is the other thing. My wife and I agreed (prompted by my insistence) that she keep her name. She has worked too hard to make a name for herself, and it is foolish for her to change it now. Thing is my family, and her grandparents, refuse to accept it. They send letters, and emails, and what not addressed to her with my last name. Also my "friends" and co-workers say that she kept her name because "I have no balls". . .

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Your friends and co-workers are sexist. So is your family. They're also being incredibly rude by not respecting you and your wife's wishes. You're doing the right thing, so screw what they think.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nin64 View Post
    That is the other thing. My wife and I agreed (prompted by my insistence) that she keep her name. She has worked too hard to make a name for herself, and it is foolish for her to change it now. Thing is my family, and her grandparents, refuse to accept it. They send letters, and emails, and what not addressed to her with my last name. Also my "friends" and co-workers say that she kept her name because "I have no balls". . .
    Have you asked them why they think it's fair to force that upon someone? The reasoning I heard was "What if you have kids one day- they won't feel like you're a real family." If it takes marriage and the same last name to feel like you're in a real family, then you don't understand family. And if it's that important, why aren't you bugging the man as well- he is welcome to take my name!

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    What the fuck? Seriously? That's actually an issue? That shouldn't even be their damn business. I'm just far more appalled that they're being so petty about something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Have you asked them why they think it's fair to force that upon someone? The reasoning I heard was "What if you have kids one day- they won't feel like you're a real family." If it takes marriage and the same last name to feel like you're in a real family, then you don't understand family. And if it's that important, why aren't you bugging the man as well- he is welcome to take my name!
    Oh yes, that's certainly one of the most condescending and presumptuous critiques married couples give to unmarried couples. If there's love, a positive rapport, and a secure foundation, that's all the truly matters.

Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    Your friends and co-workers are sexist. So is your family. They're also being incredibly rude by not respecting you and your wife's wishes. You're doing the right thing, so screw what they think.
    This. +1. Precisely. Their thoughts on that matter don't mean shit, nor should they. It's just so, damn, such people actually make a fuss over those things? And I thought I bitched a lot.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-07-2011 at 10:06 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Meh, that same shit happened to me, ignore it. People can use whatever the fuck name they choose. It's nobody else's business. Ultimately, it's not important. It's just a name. No more.

If you really want to fuck with them, both of you change your surname to "EatMe."

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    People can use whatever the fuck name they choose. It's nobody else's business. Ultimately, it's not important. It's just a name. No more.
    in the end that is more or less how we feel.