Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Next Alien movie to no longer be directed by Neill Blomkamp

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    The scene itself is great, its positioning not so much. It was originally supposed to fit right after Ripley finds Parker and Lambert, but the DC puts it during Ripley's race for the Narcissus after rigging the Nostromo to self-destruct. It's a slow, unhurried scene which wasn't intended to go there, and damages the pacing.
    More importantly though, the DC cuts some good footage ("What are my chances?" among others) and inexplicably redubs the extraterrestrial signal broadcast as electronic interference (when the actors' dialogue shows them hearing a voice). The added footage of the alien hanging on the ceiling before Brett's attack also spoils the scene, in my opinion.

There's still a lot of great stuff still on the cutting room floor for Alien - Brett's originally filmed death scene was very different to Parker's (head crushed between the alien's hands, a bit like in Blade Runner), and Parker is filmed struggling with the alien, which is how he inexplicably gets so bloodied in the final cut. There's also footage of the alien approaching Lambert, most of which is clear man-in-suit, but a couple of the shots are fantastic, and could work well with judicious cutting. And finally, they missed a trick by not correcting the most glaring fault in the editing, the transition between Ash's model head and Ian Holm poking through the table. All that's needed is a few seconds' cut to another angle to separate the effects.

The DC overall feels like a missed opportunity. The scenes that were added were done wrongly (or unnecessarily), the footage that was cut (which is actually more than was added, although most are snipped tracking shots) was in some cases important for atmosphere generation, things that really needed doing weren't done, and some of the more interesting cuts (though admittedly the cocoon scene was the best) remain unused.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    First look at Katherine Waterston in ‘Alien: Covenant’

http://www.thehollywoodnews.com/2016...lien-covenant/

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Any chance we can get the title of this thread changed?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    I love the first Alien movie, in fact it is one of my favorite movies of all time. Other than Prometheus all other sequels I had a problem with even Aliens however I could tolerate Aliens more than any of the others.
    The first Alien was dark and gothic especially if you see a cleaned up version like the directors cut Blu ray where you can see the Giger set designs of the abandoned craft that they inspect. I would hope that they would take the franchise down an even darker path. The money required to do one of these movies means shareholders and board members will want something palatable for the general movie going public, for as much money that the movie could generate in the opening weekend box office.
    I would prefer a script where the entire cast dies, the hero or heroine dies and all hope is lost and the movie ends on a very dark and depressing note. I'm so tired of films like this being forced to have endings that somewhat end on a high note where the human or the only human left defeats the alien.
    They have spent so much time and effort explaining the aliens as these killing machines, and somehow the human gets lucky it's bullshit, kill the fucking cast!!!!!
    Another thing I would like to see, is the next set of cast members investigate the planet in which the aliens are indigenous, can you imagine what that planet would be like. If the alien has acid for blood can you imagine what the atmosphere of the planet would be like? it would be a suicide mission if a flight crew of humans landed on the planet that the aliens are from. I guess Prometheus touched on this but again were they from that planet?
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 05-27-2016 at 09:46 PM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Any chance we can get the title of this thread changed?
    The thread starter can do it; in this case, @Deepvoid .

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm actually not sure it works that way here.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    To be fair, the thread title's still accurate for the next two movies.

And I'm not really a gamer at all but after hearing Sigourney talk about "Alien: Isolation" at the Q&A I filmed I made a point of tracking down and watching the "cinematic" edits of the gameplay and cutscenes on YT, so I'd just like to reiterate that it's pretty fucking great and genuinely scary. TOTALLY worth watching! If I ever get back into video games it's automatically at the top of my To-Do list.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Yeah I can only edit the original message not title but it looks like it has been changed.

Could also rename it Alien: Covenant
    Last edited by Deepvoid; 05-29-2016 at 11:31 AM.