Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Primus & Les Claypool

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I love skerik! But fortunately for you, that was actually the "frog brigade ensemble" on nye, skerik isn't a part of this new "fungi ensemble"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thank the gods! I should clarify and mention that I'm a big fan of Les' side projects as well. To me, a lot of what makes Primus special is that it's made up of just three guys doing their thing. It just seems like this is a mash-up of his solo work and Primus.

I'll still give the new album a listen, of course.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Wow. As if I wasn't already excited enough to see Primus at Riot Fest Denver...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Oh wow, that's insanity! You lucky bastards!!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Well, I'll probably go to Chicago now.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    After party show for Riot Fest Chicago just went on sale. Sat, Sept 13 in Chicago.
    http://riotfest.org/chicago-official-shows/

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Had no idea they were doing an entire album devoted to the music from Willy Wonka. And that they're going to doing a two-set tour that's half Wonka, half hits.

And that one of the dates actually lines up with where I'll be on tour.

So many things to be happy about now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I never realized Coattails Of A Dead man was about Cobain...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_k_f View Post
    I never realized Coattails Of A Dead man was about Cobain...
    There's no confirmation of that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    There's no confirmation of that.
    lol, do we need it?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

CIRCUS SIDE SHOW OF FREAKS has a different ring with primus playing it

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    and the obligatory drum solo

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Awesome, I can see my head in a couple of those shots. Had rail, pretty much right in front of Les for this. Pretty awesome show. Was anyone else there?

The funny thing is that I had a really bad stomach-ache/nausea for the first 5-6 songs, and it was bad enough where I thought I might have to leave my spot and/or the show altogether. As soon as the first Aenima notes were played, I instantly felt better; and it lasted that way for the rest of the set. It was quite bizarre. I came to the conclusion that Tool can cure sickness.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I was at Riot Fest but not the after show. They sounded great, was mainly waiting on Weezer.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I was at the solo show Saturday. It was great to see Primus again after so many years. It was also great to see Danny out of his element and that he's human after all.
    First the good

Decent setlist with a decent mix of songs, it was a little heavy on seas of cheese, but I was ok with that. They also played for about an hour and a half. The jams weren't too long either which was nice. Danny played the songs pretty much verbatim with a little touch of his own style. Danny made a few mistakes here and there but I chalk that up to nerves as it was his first show.

The Bad.
    The opening band, whatever their forgettable name was, was just AWFUL. a 3 piece trip hop band was not the way to warm that crowd up. The other shitty part was the opening band didn't even start until 11:10pm. this was hands down the latest show I've ever been too. it didn't get wrapped up until 2:10am
    Now Danny's playing was pretty spot on minus forgetting how to end a few songs, but the way his drums were mixed was not flattering. either his toms weren't mic'd, or he was using the overhead mic technique unsuccessfully. Because you couldn't hear a lot of his fills, now they did correct this somewhat after the first few songs, but it still wasn't quite right.

Overall good show, 7/10 for sure.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadbent View Post
    The opening band, whatever their forgettable name was, was just AWFUL. a 3 piece trip hop band was not the way to warm that crowd up. The other shitty part was the opening band didn't even start until 11:10pm. this was hands down the latest show I've ever been too. it didn't get wrapped up until 2:10am
    Literal LOL when I read that, because yes. I'm usually very very nice to openers, but uggh. Not sure where you were in the crowd, but I've never seen/heard so much hate for an opener. It was advertised as "A Night with Primus" (was even on the posters), which I kinda just thought meant it'd be only them for a 90-120 min set.

The show was good. 7 out of 10 is about right, but I'd personally go to 8, just because it was a special night w/ Danny.

Not travelling specifically for Primus, but I'll be seeing them again with Carey in Denver. Anyone else gonna be at Riot Fest there?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Primus & Les Claypool

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Broadbent, I noticed that with Danny's drums too at Riot Fest. Everything sounded muffled for him...not sure why. I guess they didn't configure the mics right for his drum set I suppose.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I finally downloaded They Can't All Be Zingers yesterday. I didn't want to, but I could never find the actual CD anywhere to buy, and I didn't have enough money to download all their actual albums, so I had to go with the greatest hits.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    NYC people... If you were unable to get a Halloween night ticket, they are playing a (cheap)show the day before. The only downside is that it is in the afternoon.

http://www.thegreenespace.org/events...ernoon-primus/

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    NYC people... If you were unable to get a Halloween night ticket, they are playing a (cheap)show the day before. The only downside is that it is in the afternoon.

Yes! Buddy of mine told me about this yesterday and I got a ticket immediately. I had no idea. I was so upset I couldn't go to the Halloween show but this might be even better. Gonna be real small and intimate.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I was able to get a ticket, too! I'm bummed about Halloween. I'm hoping to score something on craigslist that day that someone just wants to get rid of. But even if I'm not able to get into that show, this should still be rad!

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)

Here is the show from today.

That place was SO SMALL. Maybe like 200 people were there. That was pretty crazy.

Really fun. It was mad short, though. But eh... worth $25. I might still try to swing tomorrow somehow.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post

Here is the show from today.

That place was SO SMALL. Maybe like 200 people were there. That was pretty crazy.

Really fun. It was mad short, though. But eh... worth $25. I might still try to swing tomorrow somehow.
    It was cool being 5 feet away from the band. Was Ler intentionally dressed up as Jay Lane?

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Haha. I think so. I kept staring at him because he looked so different and young for some reason. It was really weird.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    halloween show was amazing. pork soda bars are delicious and the zoltron poster was easily the best so far. great night

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I've been huge on Primus for a good few years now, and to be honest after the excitement that hit me when Herb came back, the whole Wonka thing was a bit meh - too much like solo Les as quoted from earlier in the thread, I couldn't agree more about the extra members. As well done as it all is, I just want to see the three of them KILLING IT. I'm praying that the next step they take is to record an album that is the spiritual successor to Animals Should Not Try To Act Like People.

That said, I've had my eye on the tour for a while now and they are passing by my way in Manchester again. I saw them last time and had a blast, but seeing the London setlist the next night left me sour - it was nearly twice as long and with more new stuff in - Still can't complain! I had tickets to all the Royal Albert Hall nights last time they were around and sadly couldn't make it so I've been kicking myself ever since. I was on the fence about going to see them this time around for some reason, but knowing it's the three of them together again especially with Herb, I just snapped some tickets up now. I'm absolutely psyched and prepping myself now with some classic Tour de Fromage.

Pissed about the Bullboard going down - Prawn Song just removed it one day and left it at that. Sucks!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jord View Post
    Pissed about the Bullboard going down - Prawn Song just removed it one day and left it at that. Sucks!
    http://bullboard.freeforums.net/