Page 57 of 215 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 59 67 107 157 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,710 of 6440

Thread: 2016 Presidential Election

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    FAAAAAAACK.... I can't stand it anymore!!!! Please, I need to stop seeing Ted Cruz's fucking face! PLEASE! Everywhere I look it's that fucking horrible face! My sanity will absolutely shatter if this keeps up.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    look into his eyes jinsai

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Not con man. Narcissist. My mother is a narcissist. So is my father. I think so many of us were raised by narcissists and are surrounded by narcissists and have been so abused by narcissists we have come to accept this shit as totally normal. I don't know that Trump is this level of narcissist, but he's playing the system using the same techniques. And we have come to accept that all politicians are liars, and narcissists, so it doesn't really matter. Joe the Machinist just wants his job back. He doesn't care that Trump is a dick or a narcissist. He just cares that Trump promises to bring his job back from China, reinforce Social Security, tax Wall Street, and make deals with the Dems to "get things done."

Some of the media is particularly brutal to Trump because Trump knows how the "media" works and how it's controlled by a few big corporations and he's not granting some press passes (read: money, hits, ads) and they're pissed; no Presidential nominee has played the media like this, before. And it's hilarious to watch, frankly.

I am typing this on tiny phone sorry for any typos.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-17-2016 at 11:07 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    My mother is a narcissist. So is my father. I think so many of us were raised by narcissists and are surrounded by narcissists and have been so abused by narcissists we have come to accept this shit as totally normal. I don't know that Trump is this level of narcissist, but he's playing the system using the same techniques. And we have come to accept that all politicians are liars, and narcissists, so it doesn't really matter.
    god damn it. i want to unread this. this shit is NOT helping my views of the vast majority of voters viewing government as a paternal figure and that people are in a perpetual state of never growing up and cannot be self sufficient adults.

edit: oh look
    "The whole intention of gaslighting is to decrease someone’s self-esteem and self-confidence so they are unable to function in an independent manner. The person being gaslighted will eventually become so insecure that they will fail to trust their own judgment, their intuition and find themselves unable to make decisions.

Eventually the victim will become so unsure of what reality looks like that they become completely dependent on their abuser. The abuser will appear to the victim to be the only one to have a clear grip of their mind and also of what is going on around them.
    They may also remove things from certain places and then deny doing so to destabilize and confuse the other person."

Gaslighter = govt officials
    victim = citizens
    removing/controlling things = govt provided services, economic stability, inflation, etc.

i know thats not exactly what you were saying... but fuck
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 03-17-2016 at 11:44 PM.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    FAAAAAAACK.... I can't stand it anymore!!!! Please, I need to stop seeing Ted Cruz's fucking face! PLEASE! Everywhere I look it's that fucking horrible face! My sanity will absolutely shatter if this keeps up.
    Cruz in person is almost physically repellent. Psychology Today even ran an article by a neurology professor named Dr. Richard Cytowic about the peculiarly off-putting qualities of Cruz's face.
    He used a German term, backpfeifengesicht, literally "a face in need of a good punch," to describe Cruz. This may be overstating things a little. Cruz certainly has an odd face – it looks like someone sewed pieces of a waterlogged Reagan mask together at gunpoint – but it's his tone more than anything that gets you. He speaks slowly and loudly and in the most histrionic language possible, as if he's certain you're too stupid to grasp that he is for freedom.

that line about the Reagan mask is one of the funniest things I've read by Taibbi; (the piece as a whole is meh)

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...160224?page=10

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    god damn it. i want to unread this. this shit is NOT helping my views of the vast majority of voters viewing government as a paternal figure
    Most see the President as a paternal figure, absolutely. I don't know that this means that voters haven't "grown up," but voters (perhaps subconsciously) expect the President to perform as a paternal figure. But in this modern day and age, most are willing to forgive many faults, just as they forgive their own father's many (often abusive or narcissistic) faults, so long as he gives us what we want and protects us. We aren't as moral as we used to be. And facing a possible female as President, we expect a maternal figure and we are (perhaps subconsciously) willing to accept her maternal faults, although not nearly as much as Dad's; not yet, anyway. We don't care if Dad is fucking his secretary so long as he gives us what we want and protects us.

More interesting, this dude is on MSNBC right now saying that Reagan won with 56% of the white vote in 1980, then Romney won with 59% of the white vote but lost in 24 states in 2012, and that the GOP will need over 65% of the white vote in 2016 to win, but really it needs a far more diverse vote to win, which it doesn't care about at all, because it sticks to this basic Reagan tax cut ideology which doesn't appeal to white people anymore*, let alone minorities, so the GOP will not have a chance of winning the Presidency.

In 1980, Ronald Reagan won 56 percent of white voters and won a landslide victory of 44 states. In 2012, Mitt Romney won 59 percent of whites and lost with 24 states. But it’s a frequent talking point that white voter enthusiasm was higher for Reagan and turnout down for Romney. Not so. In 1980, 59 percent of whites voted and in 2012, 64 percent of whites voted.

But still the myth survives that there are these masses of untapped white voters just waiting for the right candidate. Call it the Lost Tribes of the Amazon theory: If only you paddle far enough up the river and bang the drum loud enough, these previously hidden voters will gather to the river’s edge. The simple truth is that there simply aren’t enough white voters in the America of 2016 to win a national election without also getting a substantial share of the non-white vote. Romney won 17 percent of the non-white vote. Depending on white voter turnout, a Republican needs between 25 percent and 35 percent of the non-white vote to win. RealClearPolitics has a handy tool so you can play with the percentages.
    *caveat that Trump isn't sticking to the GOP party platform of Reagan tax ideology which is partly why he's appealing to so many Republican voters but not enough to get 65% of white eligible voters to the polls.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-18-2016 at 12:45 AM.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    @allegro curious about your views on what will happen with the SCOTUS: can the Repubs really stonewall Obama's nominations until the election? I hear plenty of people, including Warren, arguing that it's unconstitutional...

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

http://www.stereogum.com/1866192/str...ted-cruz/news/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Of all the weird Ted Cruz meme's/internet stuff going around this is my favorite so far.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    @allegro curious about your views on what will happen with the SCOTUS: can the Repubs really stonewall Obama's nominations until the election? I hear plenty of people, including Warren, arguing that it's unconstitutional...
    replying before allegro so that she can correct me (cause i love when that happens)

It's totally Constitutional. Senate has to confirm any SCOTUS appointment. There has been a dozen times where one has been denied. And this is just the very beginning. If there comes a point where there is a majority vote, there can be a filibuster to force a super majority.

One thing that nobody has talked about but I am curious about: Congress actually controls the size of SCOTUS. What's stopping them from shrinking it by 1 head until Obama is out of office? edit: apparently this is exactly what happened to Andrew Johnson in the very link i posted. derp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appoin..._United_States

IMO, this seems like a good design. It allows for various "overrides" should central power start to get used in ways the people dislike. I am frequently impressed with how well thought out a lot of the Constitution is.
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 03-18-2016 at 11:52 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    replying before allegro so that she can correct me (cause i love when that happens)

It's totally Constitutional. Senate has to confirm any SCOTUS appointment. There has been a dozen times where one has been denied. And this is just the very beginning. If there comes a point where there is a majority vote, there can be a filibuster to force a super majority.

One thing that nobody has talked about but I am curious about: Congress actually controls the size of SCOTUS. What's stopping them from shrinking it by 1 head until Obama is out of office? edit: apparently this is exactly what happened to Andrew Johnson in the very link i posted. derp
    SCOTUS needs at least a quorum of 6 to decide a case. SCOTUS often only sits with 8 Justices (or less) due to illnesses or recusals. The Republican arm of the Senate Judicial Committee refusing to at least consider the nominated justice is unprecedented and probably unconstitutional. See this government report, pp 15 - 26.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-18-2016 at 12:19 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    I still dont understand why they are refusing to consider when they have plenty of other known legal options. Maybe it's a delay tactic? Wait until they get in trouble there and then switch to the numerous legal options sitting in their back pocket?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    This is kind of a random comment, but I just had a thought that the amount of "Make America Great Again" hats that will plague Thrift Shops and Flea Markets after this is all over is gonna be fucking ridiculous. It will rival St. Anger cds.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    nah man, those will be historical relics, like first editions of Mein Kampf

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    http://recode.net/2016/03/18/anonymo...personal-info/
    I'm sorry, but while I don't like Donald Trump, this is fucking disgusting. Posting things like his personal address, cell phone and even his SSN? Are you kidding me? With the amount of threats of assassination, it's like they're basically encouraging people to do it by releasing this info. Donald Trump will destroy himself. He doesn't need help.

edit: and yeah, Trump may have given out Lindsey Graham's cellphone before, but that does NOT excuse this shit. You should want to be above that person, not stooping to their level.
    Last edited by Frozen Beach; 03-18-2016 at 05:02 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    http://recode.net/2016/03/18/anonymo...personal-info/
    I'm sorry, but while I don't like Donald Trump, this is fucking disgusting. Posting things like his personal address, cell phone and even his SSN? Are you kidding me? With the amount of threats of assassination, it's like they're basically encouraging people to do it by releasing this info. Donald Trump will destroy himself. He doesn't need help.
    They also sent a letter to Eric Trump, threatening to hurt Eric's wife and the other Trump kids unless Donald Trump pulls out of the race

Lindsey Graham can change his cell number in 2 minutes. Trump can't change his Soc. Somebody having access to all that info can lead to hacking all of his accounts. That is stooping quite a bit "lower" on the Federal felony scale.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-18-2016 at 06:31 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    it's also typical anonymous bullshit

Anonymous Takes Credit for Releasing Donald Trump’s Personal Information That's Been Online for Months

Using that info to fuck with people and threaten their safety is lame as fuck though... but they also have Secret Service protection for a reason. However, Trump gave out Lindsay Graham's phone number last year to fuck with him, so he kinda deserves it. The one person behind this "anonymous war against Trump" is dumb as fuck though. Using terminology from Mr Robot... lol 2edgy4me. that person has to be around 12 or 13.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Giving out a cell number is not a felony, it's a mere inconvenience. Courtney Love gave out (DJ) Kennedy's personal cell number to thousands of people on stage; revenge should not equal identity theft and threatening family members and sending anthrax-like substances in envelopes.

p.s. Lindsey Graham deserved the inconvenience because Lindsey Graham is a psycho asshole who, after saying shit about Ted Cruz for years, and comparing choosing between Trump and Cruz with getting shot or getting poisoned, just endorsed Ted Cruz.

Graham once said, "If you killed Ted Cruz on the floor of the Senate, and the trial was in the Senate, nobody would convict you."
    Last edited by allegro; 03-18-2016 at 06:59 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I still dont understand why they are refusing to consider when they have plenty of other known legal options. Maybe it's a delay tactic? Wait until they get in trouble there and then switch to the numerous legal options sitting in their back pocket?
    More obstructionism. And if we elect either of these two Democratic Presidential candidates and if we continue with a majority Republican Congress, we can expect four more years of obstructionism.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    More obstructionism. And if we elect either of these two Democratic Presidential candidates and if we continue with a majority Republican Congress, we can expect four more years of obstructionism.
    I know that people mock this sort of distress... but I really can't deal. For the first time in my life, I'm finding myself having to "count to ten" and calm the fuck down when I'm hearing people talk about politics. I feel like I'm sitting around watching the country slowly put a gun in its mouth.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I know that people mock this sort of distress... but I really can't deal. For the first time in my life, I'm finding myself having to "count to ten" and calm the fuck down when I'm hearing people talk about politics. I feel like I'm sitting around watching the country slowly put a gun in its mouth.
    Most of the country agrees with you.

That frustration with obstructionism is what spawned Trump and his success on the Republican side. Remember, his closing lines at nearly all of the debates was "these politicians don't get anything done; I'm a businessman, I make deals, I'll get things done." Cruz says that's like the words of a traitor. Your own chickens done come home to roost, Ted. After shutting down the Government where Veterans and the fucking MILITARY didn't get paid because of your Middle Earth stupid obstructionism trying to overturn Obamacare, Ted, America has pretty much tired of your Tea Party shit and is now shoving Trump up your Texas ass. Yeehaw.

People are so fucking hyperfocused on the Presidential race, most don't even know who their Senators are so Dems can at least take back the Senate.

In Illinois, Democrat Tammy Duckworth is running to unseat Republican Senator Mark Kirk (he said single guy Lindsey Graham is a "Bro with No Ho" and when smacked for it he said, "that's how we say it on the South Side" even though it's doubtful the Highland Park native has actually been to the South Side of Chicago, lol).

Then, the National Republican Senatorial Committee (NRSC) Tweeted that Duckworth "doesn't stand up for Vets", except Duckworth lost her legs in Iraq WTF.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-19-2016 at 08:26 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Prediction markets give Dems a 72% chance of keeping the White House.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...tion=politics&

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Prediction markets give Dems a 72% chance of keeping the White House.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...tion=politics&
    From the Huffington Post? Shocking!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Apparently two protestors showed up to the AZ Trump rally, one in a KKK hood doing a nazi salute and the other in an American flag shirt holding a picture of Trump with a confederate flag superimposed over his face. The guy holding the picture was assaulted... by a black Trump supporter. You can't make this stuff up.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hyprpwr View Post
    From the Huffington Post? Shocking!
    What's a bit odd is that this is a report coming from someone within the Rothschild family? They notoriously built their empire on vying for financial gains by funding both sides in wars, before deciding which side to pull the plug on (when it became apparent which victory would yield the most lucrative results)... most notably and famously with Napoleon.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Well, if Drumpf thinks he can build a wall between U.S. and Mexico. Well, that ain't gonna happen cabron.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    let's build a wall around Trump and make Sanders pay for it

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    One person thinks the race is over:
    http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...#ixzz43eFxLtgo

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    That description in the title makes it sound unfairly awesome, actually