Thread: U2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    As i said in the "Shitty music" thread: I don't hate them and i do believe they have lots of quality tracks, this song for example is one of my favorites:

sadly they are not the shadow of what they used to be...

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    sadly they are not the shadow of what they used to be...
    very few bands who have been around as long as they have are... it's always been a mystery to me why u2 are especially reviled for this, though it's probably bono coming off as especially obnoxious to most people. he walks a fine line between being a great humanitarian and a total twat, but hey...i seldom if ever judge a band's merit by their latter day musical sins or offstage persona (unless we're talking really questionable violent/hateful behavior, but i'm getting off topic here).

sure, i really dislike their new material and persona as much as anyone (strongly dislike all three of their recent albums- both too safe and trying to hard in my book), but the same could be (and has been) said about the rolling stones, smashing pumpkins, the cure, and for me, depeche mode as far as current output is concerned... the fall from grace is always the hardest with bands of this stature.
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 09-10-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    very few bands who have been around as long as they have are... it's always been a mystery to me why u2 are especially reviled for this, though it's probably bono coming off as especially obnoxious to most people. he walks a fine line between being a great humanitarian and a total twat, but hey...i seldom if ever judge a band's merit by their latter day musical sins or offstage persona (unless we're talking really questionable violent/hateful behavior, but i'm getting off topic here).

sure, i really dislike their new material and persona as much as anyone (strongly dislike all three of their recent albums- both too safe and trying to hard in my book), but the same could be (and has been) said about the rolling stones, smashing pumpkins, the cure, and for me, depeche mode as far as current output is concerned... the fall from grace is always the hardest with bands of this stature.
    To be honest... and I am not sticking up for Bono here - he's a penis, but it is funny how absolutely everyone comes down on Bono like a ton of bricks for being a pompous high horsing bore, and yet you can beat your wife, stab your guitarist, kill razzle from hanoi rocks, fuck underage girls etc and you don't really become an infamous twat in quite the same way