Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: U2

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Anyone else listen to the U Talking U2 To Me podcast? I just recently discovered this thing and have been REALLY enjoying it. Its so goddamn absurd. I love it.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Did Bono play guitar at all during the last tour? I seemed to remember hearing that his injury from a few years ago put a stop to that, but also read in another interview that he thought it'd be healed up in a year or so.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Did Bono play guitar at all during the last tour? I seemed to remember hearing that his injury from a few years ago put a stop to that, but also read in another interview that he thought it'd be healed up in a year or so.
    I don't remember him playing no, but then again it's a rare sight and i don't think he plays on any of the songs they played on that tour.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Nope. The surgery on his arm left him without the ability to ever play again. Pretty sure Dallas is playing Bono's parts under the stage these days.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Opening night setlist, and HOLY. SHIT.

I'm going to the St Louis show on friday and could not be more fucking excited after seeing this setlist. At 27 songs, is this technically the longest setlist in their career??

Setlist spoilers:

Spoiler: Love Is All We Have Left
    The Blackout
    Lights of Home
    Beautiful Day
    All Because of You
    I Will Follow
    The Ocean
    Iris
    Cedarwood Road
    Song For Someone
    Sunday Bloody Sunday
    Raised By Wolves
    Until The End of The World
    -----------
    Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me (Intermission PA track, like Fly and Wanderer from 2015)
    Elevation
    Vertigo
    Desire
    Acrobat (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    You're The Best Thing About Me (Acoustic)
    Staring At The Sun (Acoustic)
    Pride (In The Name of Love)
    Get Out Of Your Own Way
    American Soul/XXX
    City of Blinding Lights
    ----------------
    Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
    One
    Love is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way
    13 (There Is A Light)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Holy shit Spoiler: Acrobat, which is my favorite U2 song besides Some Sort of Homecoming

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Regarding 'the spoiler alert song' everyone is talking here, better late than never but it's about 25 years too late. I've seen the youtube videos and it was very disappointing. Sorry, I'll stick to the studio version.
    The band (especially The Edge) was on fire but Bono.. the "devil" production, the speech, the vocals, I'll just stop there.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Drove from KC to St Louis yesterday for the show, and boy was it worth it. It was super cool seeing all the updated aspects to the stage show, such as the new improved Barricage that now splits in half. Great setlist, great sound, only complaint about the actual performance was that nearly every song from the new album was played slightly slower than the album versions. But it could be intentional as the show does now have a very subdued start to it. Very cool to see Macphisto return, although everyone around me in my section seemed super confused as to what was happening. Also, no one seemed to give a shit about them performing Acrobat. It sounded wonderful though!

Having seen the iNNOCENCE tour twice and now seeing this one, it was really great seeing the show come full circle. Highly reccomend catching this tour! Although I will say, it was a little bit of a burn that the band canceled the St Louis show on last years Joshua Tree tour, and then didnt play one single song off of it tonight. A lot of people seemed pretty ticked off about that, but whatever.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    U2 were playing 45 minutes away, in San Jose, earlier this week. I managed to be spontaneous, buy floor tickets from a third party site the day of the show for $80, met some new folks at the show and had a blast. One of the best shows I've ever attended! Here are a couple of photos my new friend, Holly, took from where we were standing. It was unreal:
    https://imgur.com/a/iTIqNOt

https://imgur.com/a/szbFERL
    Last edited by Ruined; 05-10-2018 at 09:15 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    From AtU2:

What in the world is going on at the start of the show during the latest U2 tour? The intro song is I Break Horses' "Winter Beats," and then the song fades. Soon, we hear a female voice giving instructions to someone and sounds of what appears to be an MRI machine.
    “Breathe in
    Breathe in please
    Breathe in
    Breathe in
    Exhale
    Thank you”
    Dissonant tone

“Exhale
    Thank you”
    3 dissonant tones

I remember hearing voices and the sounds of a bunch of birds before LIAWHL started but I couldn't make out what they were saying, so this is actually really cool. Supposedly the black and blue screens that trigger the AR experience at the show are cropped and zoomed sections of an MRI scan. Seems like maybe that near death experience Bono had in 2016 could have been a heart attack or something, and the start of the show is a representation of that or something.

Just thought that was super interesting.
    Last edited by richardp; 05-10-2018 at 10:58 PM.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    I am so mad at myself for missing the LA dates. I seriously hope they do a 2nd US leg so I don't miss this tour! (its the first tour I've missed in almost 20 years)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    What would you consider to be the last good or great U2 album?

For me:

Great: Zooropa
    Good: All That You Can't Leave Behind

Everything after that....blah. I enjoyed most of their albums, but never go back to them.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 11-03-2018 at 08:27 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Good: pop.

After that hat they got lazy and stopped trying new things.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post

That works for me too, tho I have a sweet spot for no line as well, to me U2 + eno is always great.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    That works for me too, tho I have a sweet spot for no line as well, to me U2 + eno is always great.
    Might be a divisive vote here, but..

Great: ATYCLB
    Good: Songs of Experience

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    i feel like they need Brian eno back, he seamed to mesh with them very well he always seams to get the best out of a band as a group. and adds enough experimental edge to keep bands relevant and fresh.
    -louie

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I just ordered the Passengers Original Soundtracks 1 album. It's been out for 23 years and I just heard of it today.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    was listening to a sort of homecoming still good. special meaning as i had see them two years earlier open for the Steve miller band, and they where horrible. i don't thing any of them knew how to really play their instruments.someone had bought tickets for meas a joke at the time they where labeled as a semi christian band. went to see them anyways. probably of of the best shows I've ever seen. then the Joshua tree came out. proof that playing a lot of live shows can make you really good. the next time I was even afford or get tickets was zoo tour.
    -louie

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I just ordered the Passengers Original Soundtracks 1 album. It's been out for 23 years and I just heard of it today.
    Wait did this finally get a repress? I fucking love the Passengers album.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Wait did this finally get a repress? I fucking love the Passengers album.
    Amazon has it listed as being released on 11/7/95. I assume I ordered the original pressing.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quick question, does anyone have a decent HQ rip of the Linear version of Winter they could PM me?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

This is from about a year ago. They aren't a band I've ever really wanted to see live, but I'd absolutely get in line if they toured with an orchestra.

The Classic Albums episode on Joshua Tree is on Prime Video. I'm never not amused seeing Bono shut up and let someone else talk when he's being interviewed alongside Daniel Lanois.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Quick question, does anyone have a decent HQ rip of the Linear version of Winter they could PM me?
    i did rip my dvd and have a flac of it somewhere, I can send it over to whoever wants it. It's quite a good song too, it surely could have replaced stand up comedy on the final track listing.
    Would anyone happen to have a lossless copy of the soundtrack version of winter? now that's one i can't find...

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    i did rip my dvd and have a flac of it somewhere, I can send it over to whoever wants it. It's quite a good song too, it surely could have replaced stand up comedy on the final track listing.
    Would anyone happen to have a lossless copy of the soundtrack version of winter? now that's one i can't find...
    Man that would be fantastic!

I don't have lossless, but I have 320kbps of the soundtrack version

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post

100% in on this. i enjoy most of pop​, and the band doesn't exist on record since, imo.

edit: wait, fuck. 'electrical storm' and 'ground beneath her feet' are amazing.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    i'm a sucker for no line, i think it's still got some great stuff. and it has Brian Eno.

I will have to disagree that they got lazy, they certainly tried new ideas but they mostly failed due to their grandiose objectives and this need they have to please everybody. As a result some of the choices they made have turned good ideas into average songs. I just wish they would try to keep things simple, it may work better.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    No Line On The Horizon 2019 repress pre-orders are live! Go go go!!!

https://www.u2.com/news/title/the-fu...ds-a-big-kiss-

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    It doesn't appear like NIN will tour in 2019, so I feel safe scheduling a couple of U2 shows in Tokyo since I haven't seen them play overseas (and I <3 Japan).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    It doesn't appear like NIN will tour in 2019, so I feel safe scheduling a couple of U2 shows in Tokyo since I haven't seen them play overseas (and I <3 Japan).
    I may do seoul

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Been on a bit of a U2 kick--Achtung Baby and Zooropa, so fucking good. U2 in the early 90's was the band at their peak. I think that "One" is one of the greatest songs ever.