Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: U2

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    The truth is that they've become the band that they were supposed to rally against in the beginning.
    There's a quote from Bono from the early days where he was asked about the beginnings of the band. I'm paraphrasing, but he talks about how they started as a punk band, but soon saw how punk music said it welcomed everybody, but had all of these rules and regulations that defined it. Bono got death threats for saying fuck the revolution in Rattle and Hum. Bono let Salman Rushdie stay at his house when the Fatwa was placed on him. (It's still in place)

That's pretty punk to me. What happened to that guy?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    He discovered money and egotism along the way. I think U2 wanted to be the Clash but never had any of their integrity. Even as Joe Strummer had some humility and humor that made him very accessible and was never about living in a mansion or owning a hotel that he often goes to. Joe just kept things simple and didn't mind being called a hippie.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    So some friends of mine made the trek out to Joshua Tree and managed to find THE Joshua Tree spot. Here are some photos from their journey:

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    New, free album on iTunes.

I hope this means the return of the U talking U2 to Me? podcast.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    This album is fucking fantastic. From the ultra simplistic artwork to the band seemingly throwing away any preconceptions about what they SHOULD sound like and saying fuck it. While not all techno and trip-hoppy, this album's sound reminds me of what the band was doing in the 90s. It's them doing something super fresh and relevant and not trying to be a greatest hits band anymore. These songs sound very modern.

Granted this is all on first listen, and the initial excitement is getting the best of me at the moment, but this album is sounding REALLY great. I can't wait to see the inevitable tour announcements soon. Fully planning on traveling around for this one.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Got this from itunes, sounds great from the previews, U2 were pretty much my favourite band circa the Joshua Tree

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    So is this the Danger Mouse album or no?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    yes, its danger mouse mainly, a couple other names too which may be famous in certain circles.

And Bono just confirmed part 2 is coming, songs of experience, double U2 album, yeah!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I was a fan of U2 as a kid, and then I became an adult and all of those sexless, sanitary artists lost their appeal. I imagine this is most haters' problem with U2.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    This album is fucking fantastic. From the ultra simplistic artwork to the band seemingly throwing away any preconceptions about what they SHOULD sound like and saying fuck it. While not all techno and trip-hoppy, this album's sound reminds me of what the band was doing in the 90s. It's them doing something super fresh and relevant and not trying to be a greatest hits band anymore. These songs sound very modern.

Granted this is all on first listen, and the initial excitement is getting the best of me at the moment, but this album is sounding REALLY great. I can't wait to see the inevitable tour announcements soon. Fully planning on traveling around for this one.
    Fresh is actually a great word to describe this disc. Every Breaking Wave struck me as a Killers-ish track at first until you realize who really "copied" who. But this is a great disc that just came out of nowhere. 8/10 easily.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Having such trouble downloading this new album. Because I can get it through iTunes, I don't feel like pirating it. Maybe tomorrow it'll be working.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I was flummoxed until it was pointed out that the album may show up under "various artists" in your iTunes purchases in the cloud rather than "U2" for some strange reason.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    And Bono just confirmed part 2 is coming, songs of experience, double U2 album, yeah!
    Remember when he said that about No Line On The Horizon, though? I'll believe it when I actually see it.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    hey, this is pretty good

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The new album is fantastic. It has remnants of early U2 without obviously trying to sound like the old U2. They've completely redeemed themselves for the last two albums.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    The more I listen to this album the more I'm hearing all of the subtle hints of older U2. Biggest and best example in my eyes being Sleep Like A Baby Tonight which is on some straight Zooropa level shit for me. The return of that 90s era Bono falsetto? Fuck yes.

And the best part is that all of the throwbacks feel so fluid and genuine and not forced like they have been on the last two albums. This album is so far revealing itself to be among U2s best works.

And just imagine how much of a banger Cedarwood Road is going to be live. That riff is going to bring the house down, no doubt.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    I'm not feeling it. Seems like they're trying to go back to their original sounds...but it just sounds like they're copying their old songs and tricks. Yes there are some nice melodies and sounds...but it's just all very generic and just a bit too sweet. U2 are taking no chances with this one. Bono even tries to sound younger, youngerizing his singing voice. Here's a band all out of ideas. Time to hang up the guns fellas. You lost your way around 2000. There are pieces of these songs that are great... just doesn't seem daring or to be one of their stronger albums.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I finally heard it. It is a definite improvement over the last 2 albums although it does have a sound that is in tune with the modern times as I'm a bit put-off by it. Yet, there are some songs that I do enjoy like "Cedarwood Road", "Sleep Like a Baby Tonight", and "The Troubles".

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Evolution of music sales:

1. Pay a lot
    2. Pay a little
    3. Pay anything
    4. OK fine, just pay once a month
    5. Fuck you, now you own a U2 album

Can't claim this was mine but someone on another site found this on Twitter and thought it too funny not to share.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Everyone who's flipping shit about Apple putting the album on their iTunes is spending way too much time screaming "unwanted invasion of consent" instead of realizing that if they don't want it, it takes all of 2 seconds to delete the album.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    The new album is too U2-ey to me. That's a weird thing to say, considering I really like the band. But the past two albums have just felt bland. Like cashpiles said, it doesn't feel like they are taking any chances. A few reviews are comparing it to Pop, but Pop was a different direction for the band. This one feels like like U2 took a few influences from Indie music and incorporated it into their sound. To me, that Indie sound is played out.

Also the release with Apple is too corporate for me. It doesn't bother me when a commercial uses a song from a band. It's the artist's music, they can do what ever they want from it. It feels like they were using the Apple release thing to gain publicity for their product while Apple used the new album as a way to advertise their product. It just seems wrong coming from that band. U2 has always been a band that, I feel, had integrity. But around the How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb they have really been kinda loosing it in my opinion. HDAB was a strong album imo but looking back, they should have broken up around there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The Troubles.. I like it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    I'm not feeling it. Seems like they're trying to go back to their original sounds...but it just sounds like they're copying their old songs and tricks. Yes there are some nice melodies and sounds...but it's just all very generic and just a bit too sweet. U2 are taking no chances with this one. Bono even tries to sound younger, youngerizing his singing voice. Here's a band all out of ideas. Time to hang up the guns fellas. You lost your way around 2000. There are pieces of these songs that are great... just doesn't seem daring or to be one of their stronger albums.
    I don't think he's trying to sound younger. He quit smoking, so that probably has a lot to do with why he's hitting those notes like he did in the 80s.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Meh... I still can't listen to any album post Zooropa all the way thru.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_k_f View Post
    Meh... I still can't listen to any album post Zooropa all the way thru.
    You can listen to Zooropa all the way through? I feel like if they made that album an EP as originally planned it would have been much better for everyone.

There are some real jams on Pop.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Pop is an underrated album, it was the last album by U2 i liked...

This new album... well, i guess it's "pretty" but that's it... Not great, not terrible but very average; if you listen to it, it's Ok... yet if you don't you aren't missing anything...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Pop is an underrated album, it was the last album by U2 i liked...

This new album... well, i guess it's "pretty" but that's it... Not great, not terrible but very average; if you listen to it, it's Ok... yet if you don't you aren't missing anything...
    The new album is very underwhelming. Nothing stands out about it. I kinda like Raised by Wolves.

In regards to POP being underrated, I agree. There is a lot of experimentation and I feel Bono really tried to go to new places with his vocals. I always felt that Miami (minus the lyrics) sounded like it could have been a NIN song if Trent made a follow up to TFS around 96-97.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Zooropa and Pop are both equally as great in my eyes. When I saw U2 in 2011 and they played multiple tracks from that specific era of the band, I lost my goddamn mind. It was amazing. And honestly, I feel like I listen to 90s era U2 far more than I listen to 80s era U2.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    In regards to POP being underrated, I agree. There is a lot of experimentation and I feel Bono really tried to go to new places with his vocals. I always felt that Miami (minus the lyrics) sounded like it could have been a NIN song if Trent made a follow up to TFS around 96-97.
    "Miami", "Gone" and "Mofo" are tracks that have a heavy NIN influence in my opinion (mostly musically), let's not forget that Flood was involved in the record, he helped to expand U2's sound in the good way...