Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: U2

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

I thought this was funny, but I also thought this was too

"We'll put 'em with the other two and get ten another albums out of them".
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 09-11-2013 at 01:44 AM.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    It was upsetting when I heard they were working with Will.I.Am as he didn't really contribute much at all but now DeadMau5? What's next, a duet with Taylor Swift?
    They've been working with Danger Mouse, not Deadmau5.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    They've been working with Danger Mouse, not Deadmau5.
    Is there a difference???

:P

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    OK, Danger Mouse is pretty good actually although I don't think it will help them. Plus, does anyone think the band needs Steve Lillywhite back in the fold for the production?

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Maybe, but Steve Lillywhite has been involved on some level with all albums except TUF, R&H, Zooropa and Pop. Personally, I wish they'd use Flood as the main producer again, like they did for Pop. The only time in recent years that they've used him was a little bit on HTDAAB.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    You know what's a fucking good song? Rejoice. Seriously, I could play that on a loop for days. Wish their new shit had energy like that.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    to the powers that be that merged these threads --- thanks! sorry, i must have missed the original one...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Im not sure if this is as funny in english as it is in spanish, but i'll give it a shot:

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Is there a difference???

:P
    Quite a lot actually. One sounds absolutely nothing like the other. I'm actually intrigued by a U2 album produced by Danger Mouse.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Quite a lot actually. One sounds absolutely nothing like the other. I'm actually intrigued by a U2 album produced by Danger Mouse.
    Agreed, though frankly id be pretty curious about a deadmau5 U2 production as well.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    Agreed, though frankly id be pretty curious about a deadmau5 U2 production as well.
    That has potential to go either way. Just truly fucking terribly awful, or would actually reinvigorate the band into not writing every song like it's going to be a top 40 hit and get back in that Zooropa/Pop mentality.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    This new song is pissing me off. I know I've heard Edge play that chorus riff in a song before but I can't think of what it is. Or maybe they've out U2'd themselves. I do know that the guitar part in the second verse sound just like the the ZooTV version of Running To Stand Still.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I haven't heard the song but i read very bad reviews, i even read one comment that said that the new album should be called "How to reassemble an atomic bomb" (so u2 can finally die...)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Song's junk. I think they need to hype down how pretentious they are, its really starting to show in the quality of their music.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I guess I'll be the lone guy that really enjoys the song. It reminds me of the ATYCLB era stuff. But keep in mind, this is a remix made for the Red campaign. It's not the final version, AND it's not even going to be on the new album.

And you know, it's funny, people will spend all day bashing U2's music but then I guarantee when they come back around on tour, every single night will sell out.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    And you know, it's funny, people will spend all day bashing U2's music but then I guarantee when they come back around on tour, every single night will sell out.
    Of course they will, U2 is no longer a band. They are a corporation. They made a collective one billion dollars on their last tour alone. Fuck these songs for Africa, send that money to Africa. The older I get the more distain I have for them. It doesn't help that the last time they took a great musical risk was almost two decades ago.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iran_Ed View Post
    They made a collective one billion dollars on their last tour alone. Fuck these songs for Africa, send that money to Africa.
    u2 didn't make a billion dollars. the tour had several hundred million in revenue, but there was very little profit because a) the tour cost so much to do and b) they donate a lot of profits from the tour to various charities. they were employing a ton of people to do cool things irrespective of the music, and brought a lot of joy to people. you can hate u2's music, think they're pretentious dicks (they seem like that), whatever, but the idea that they could have given that money to africa is objectively stupid. I guess nobody working on the tour should get paid? Do 100% of your paychecks go to charity?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    I see where @Iran_Ed 's coming from: the song for the Red campaign that was free on iTunes for a day? Like most corporations that promote to ad-match dollars, Bank of America is only matching up to $2 million, which, unfortunately, is nothing. You would be better off contributing directly to an AIDS-related organization.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    I see where @Iran_Ed's coming from: the song for the Red campaign that was free on iTunes for a day? Like most corporations that promote to ad-match dollars, Bank of America is only matching up to $2 million, which, unfortunately, is nothing. You would be better off contributing directly to an AIDS-related organization.
    … then contribute? I don't understand griping at someone for donating $2 million which would otherwise be lining some dude's bonus. It's never enough and never will be, but is something better than nothing? Or does the cynical perspective that useful idiots are being duped into supporting BoA and U2 because of their lip-service towards charity (of which I don't actually see any harm, but okay) justify itself?

EDIT: let me clarify that I absolutely see where your and Iran_Ed's cynicism comes from. I just don't see where it goes.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    It's not cynicism to question how and where the money is being used.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    It's not cynicism to question how and where the money is being used.
    I don't see what that has to do with my initial response to his post. moreover, where is he doing that?
    Last edited by screwdriver; 02-05-2014 at 07:02 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    u2 didn't make a billion dollars. the tour had several hundred million in revenue, but there was very little profit because a) the tour cost so much to do and b) they donate a lot of profits from the tour to various charities. they were employing a ton of people to do cool things irrespective of the music, and brought a lot of joy to people. you can hate u2's music, think they're pretentious dicks (they seem like that), whatever, but the idea that they could have given that money to africa is objectively stupid. I guess nobody working on the tour should get paid? Do 100% of your paychecks go to charity?
    The Vertigo tour made between four to five hundred million dollars. In Between that tour and the 360 tour they signed a twelve year contract with Live Nation in 2008 that can pay them close to one billion dollars. I think every major tour they've done except the Pop Mart tour was financially successful. That plus making some of the all time highest selling albums means they aren't hurting for money. The last time I heard, Edge had a house in Ireland, the south of France and LA. I'm just tired of hearing rich people beg for money so that they can gift wrap it for some cause. Of course I realize the money that goes in to a tour. There's a thread on here where we as fans aired our concerns that Tension would bankrupt Trent. Last time U2 toured the US they were selling out stadiums and had Muse opening for them.

As for the music side I have no hate for U2 1980-1997 and certain songs that come after that period. Bono's quotes these days sound exactly like what he is. A middle aged guy who is trying desperately to appeal to a younger generation. I can't get over the fact that he wanted Lady Gaga's producer to help them do a dance album. Sometimes I outgrow bands, sometimes they outgrow me. U2 is a band that I haven't outgrown, they are still quite important to me. My anger comes from the fact that they seem to embarrass themselves or at least Bono does with every step of the way.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    I don't see what that has to do with my initial response to his post. moreover, where is he doing that?
    I'm talking about Bank of America's involvement but then again, banks aren't known for transparency. We'll see how much actually goes towards The Global Fund.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    It pisses me off at what U2 has become. I loved pretty much the music they did from Boy to All That You Can Leave Behind. After that, they've changed into this corporate band that wants to not just state how important they are but the idea that they're the only rock band that matters. The truth is that they've become the band that they were supposed to rally against in the beginning. The fact that they're trying to reach producers who are hot right now just shows that they're becoming the dinosaurs they rebelled against as it makes the more and more irrelevant to the eyes and ears of real music fans.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    I guess I'll be the lone guy that really enjoys the song. It reminds me of the ATYCLB era stuff. But keep in mind, this is a remix made for the Red campaign. It's not the final version, AND it's not even going to be on the new album.

You and I are in the minority I guess I too enjoyed the song and look forward to a new album by the end of the year

And with all of this talk about them becoming a corporate rock band, are you guys being serious or just joking? What's wrong with them hooking up with current producers to help change their sound once again? Are you telling everyone that you would rather have them dish out TJT pt.2 (which I'm sure the same people would bitch about how they managed to release a rehash of a previous album) instead of branching out and looking to add a new sound to their catalog? I remember when everyone bashed them for POP and now that its been 17 years since its release, its managed to become a great U2 album in the eyes of the so-called "fans."
    Last edited by NotoriousTIMP; 02-05-2014 at 09:41 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    You and I are in the minority I guess I too enjoyed the song and look forward to a new album by the end of the year

And with all of this talk about them becoming a corporate rock band, are you guys being serious or just joking? What's wrong with them hooking up with current producers to help change their sound once again? Are you telling everyone that you would rather have them dish out TJT pt.2 (which I'm sure the same people would bitch about how they managed to release a rehash of a previous album) instead of branching out and looking to add a new sound to their catalog? I remember when everyone bashed them for POP and now that its been 17 years since its release, its managed to become a great U2 album in the eyes of the so-called "fans."
    Yeah I really don't see why it's a big deal that U2 have reached out to modern producers. Their last album they went back to Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois and no one gave a shit. So I'm sure they figured "well fuck it, let's make an album for NOW" and they're absolutely entitled to. Just because they're older dudes now doesn't mean that they have to be shoehorned in with all these other "classic" bands who just keep churning out the same tired "we're appealing to our older audience" albums. I mean shit, they even tried to do the cliche "Rick Rubin produced our new album" move and threw out all but one of those songs because they thought the tracks were boring and non-special. You guys should really look at recent U2 shows. Over half the crowd are people in their 20s. U2's main fan base these days seems to draw heavily from the college based crowds.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    But keep in mind, this is a remix made for the Red campaign. It's not the final version, AND it's not even going to be on the new album.
    Everything I've read says that it will be on the album, but that it's not the official first single.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I like U2 a lot but think that they're overrated. The way some people rave about this band, you'd think that they are fulfilling some Bill and Ted-like prophecy where everyone will unite and an age of global world-peace will be ushered in. Still, I'll buy their new album.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    I love this band because their music is solid and they're one hell of a live act.