Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Avengers: Age of Ultron

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    It also features a strange moment in which it conpares infirtile women to horrible monsters:
    "I was sterilized as a teenager, Im a monster just like you"
    Black Widow, to the Incredible Hulk.
    Spoiler: I interpreted that bit of dialogue as "they took away my means of having a child so that I wouldn't focus on it, thus giving me more mental space to focus on being an assassin." So she was referring to herself being a monster because she's a murder machine, not because she's infertile.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostaustin View Post
    Spoiler: I interpreted that bit of dialogue as "they took away my means of having a child so that I wouldn't focus on it, thus giving me more mental space to focus on being an assassin." So she was referring to herself being a monster because she's a murder machine, not because she's infertile.
    I agree that was the intention of the line but I thought it read hilariously bad when I saw the film. I would have def asked him to rewrite that line if I was his editor lmao. It's the kind of line you have to be daft to think wouldn't distract.

I forgot to come on here and say my thoughts on the film.
    I really liked it! Executed way less expertly than the first film and the pace/ plotting could use some work compared to the first Avengers but I thought it was also vastly more interesting.

Ultron is my new favorite character in the MCU. I loved the way his most interesting aspects were just left to settle via implication of his lines or action as opposed to other characters flat out saying his personality traits. I just love that the dude is made up of a ton of different contradictions. My baby.

Loved the twins (and the twincest teasing), Whedon knows my sick heart.
    Love the set up of the new team. Bring it on.

Loved Vision. Loved the character dynamics. My favorite scene was def the one with Ultron and Vision at the end.

What I didn't like:

I'm def in the camp that thinks Black Window's character took a huge step backward, but I'm not too worried about it because the Russo's are taking over and their rendition of her is the best so far. I'm not a huge fan of the Bruce/Natasha pairing to begin with and this was just complete overload in terms of focus. I enjoyed her and Cap's unexplored but implied sexual tension way more.

I thought the movie could use way less action. Didn't have much breathing room but over all I'm seriously impressed it made so much sense.

Side note: PEGGY CARTER RENEWED FOR SEASON 2 YAY
    Last edited by littlemonkey613; 05-08-2015 at 10:56 PM.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    While I'm kind of on a forced sabbatical from working on my next several Transformers essays/threads, I figured I'd pick up Avengers: Age of Ultron at the nearest Redbox and start chipping away at the notes I took the three times I saw it in a theater. Lots to share!

I've got a few different essays in the works for this movie, but they're mostly pretty specific and I don't want to go off on too many tangents in them, so I figured I'd toss in a few, random observations here regarding the overwhelming cleverness of the screenwriting, while bumping the thread to help get the conversation started up again.

It IS quite possibly my FAVORITE of all MCU movies, after all.

Just a few neat things I noticed while building the image library for my threads and which I haven't really seen mentioned anywhere else...

ENJOY!
    \o/

When Falcon and Captain America are making small talk about their "missing person case," Falcon uses a VERY interesting choice of words to describe the leads their leads towards finding The WINTER Soldier:

Ha!

And I'm sure everyone remembers art collector Tony Stark's hilarious reference to the world famous, unidentified graffiti artist and subject of the film Exit Through the Gift Shop, right?

Well, that's not the ONLY bit of graffiti in the movie!

Keen eyed viewers may notice that early in the film we see THIS fantastic bit of Sokovian Anti-Stark street art demonizing the former arms dealer in the background of one, brief shot:

Perfect!

Later on, Stark describes his impression of Klaue's pursuit of vibranium with a particularly apt reference:

Why so apt?

Well, Ahab's singleminded, obsessive pursuit of Moby Dick eventually led him to his own destruction, much the same way as Klaue's thievery of Wakanda's vibranium, as he himself put it, "came at great personal cost." And that was how he already felt about it BEFORE he'd been dismembered at the hands of Ultron! Yeesh.

Additionally, Ahab's mission was the killing of the WHITE whale, just as Klaue's mission was the killing of the BLACK Panther!

So, especially in a country so torn by apartheid, it's a particularly perfect connection to draw between the two. I hasten to remind any naysayers that racial apartheid in South Africa actually began under the rule of the Dutch Empire, and that Klaue himself is Dutch.

Intriguing!

Something tells me he's gonna be an AWESOME villain in Black Panther when the film finally premieres during Black History Month...

Damn,
    Marvel. You WENT there.
    O_O
    Last edited by Hazekiah; 10-18-2015 at 02:38 PM.