Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: [ARG] Fan(?) sites (doubt it's connected, but interesting)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question [ARG] Fan(?) sites (doubt it's connected, but interesting)

TL;DR I doubt much of this is real and connected to the ARG, but I found it amusing

Hey NIN team,

Although I found out about the Year Zero ARG too late to watch it happen, I found it really, really interesting in the few years afterward. I explored some of the websites, but I hadn't found the summaries/guides, so I didn't get the chance to see all of it - which is a shame, since some of it is pretty much irrecoverable now since the phasing out of Flash. Every few years, I'd make a point of reminding myself of the awesome worldbuilding. This year, I discovered the NetNinja mirrors and the Exhibit24 pdf, so naturally I spent a little too much time digging through all these things I hadn't found before. Couple of days ago I got lazy and decided to just browser search for "operation swamp 0000", intending to quickly find the ninwiki page for it. I found something else instead. I saw that the finding of "schizophrenias diary" blog got some attention and discussion, so I wanted to share this. I am definitely not up to par on the sort of data sleuthing that the ARG required - it looked like a fan compilation of year zero "plot" at first glance but I did catch something peculiar today, maybe someone that's curious knows where to dig deeper. A lot of the linked images were broken, perhaps linked to sites that have gone offline since?

(My Chrome defaulted to Yahoo search a while ago and I never bothered to change it - attempted to reproduce using Google, and it gives different results)

- "Google sites" page belonging to "liliamichan"; page titled "y34rz3r0.1" that has info on Operation Swamp 0000, Hollywood in Memoriam, etc.
    - Using Chrome, I used the "Inspect" function - had no idea what to look for, but I found an embedded youtube link that led to one of three distorted videos (creeped me out in the moment, but I since found that apparently there was a statement through ETS that those videos are fake)
    - Description for those videos had a link to a Wix page that claimed to be from the world of year zero ("Copyright 2023") but without the trademark ARG distortions.
    - on the same 1st page of results, there was an apparently identical page belonging to "roberto"-something. I took a break in writing this post, when I came back and refreshed the page, the clone was belonging to "bellahs" and the one belonging to "roberto-" was nowhere to be seen. This seemed peculiar to me, but I never did check the clone out. The page Yahoo is trying to link is also called "y34rz3r0", description in search is just the same quote describing OpSwamp.

- searching for "lilia michan year zero" finds another google sites page, 'youtubevideos' as part of "7dyearzero", with description "here we can put the youtube interesting yearzero's videos. ... LILIAMICHAN . ... The world that you know it would be very diferent in the year 2022 America ..." which explicitly mentions that previous name/site/page.

- searching for "7dyearzero" finds the original page with description "Y34R Z3RO bUILD the PUzzlE TOGETHERbUILD the PUzzlE TOGETHERbUILD the PUzzlE TOGETHERbUILD the PUzzlE TOGETH" which I have not checked myself yet because I know that I get startled/creeped out easily (the alarm on the ARG Art is Resistance page almost gave me a heart attack the first time).

Again, I doubt there's much of substance relating to the actual ARG, but something's just a little off with this (to my eyes, anyway). I was having second thoughts about posting what is essentially "Hey ARG fans here's something that is probably not even connected", but seeing that clone get updated literally overnight convinced me to at least put it up here in case someone who actually knows how to dig for information in the data wants to take a closer look.

Cheers,

Clos

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    ......and?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Aw man not again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    that siren scared my 12 year old me shitless and i turned off computer asap and ran downstairs lol

very cool find!