Page 18 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Nine Inch Nails Inducted Into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfkiller View Post
    You shut your filthy mouth good sir! The Sign/Happy Nation is amazing and was ahead of its time!
    ace of base - great music made by some terrible people http://www.cracked.com/blog/how-90s-...sm-to-america/

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    ace of base - great music made by some terrible people http://www.cracked.com/blog/how-90s-...sm-to-america/
    To be fair, only one member of the band had some ties to Nazi shit. Which he seems pretty ashamed and apologetic for. I think buzzfeed was reaching a bit to make a story about Ace Of Base being a secret Nazi project.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfkiller View Post
    To be fair, only one member of the band had some ties to Nazi shit. Which he seems pretty ashamed and apologetic for. I think buzzfeed was reaching a bit to make a story about Ace Of Base being a secret Nazi project.
    Weren't they all (or most of the band) in the same family though? That being said, I have to take much of that article with a grain of salt. It's not like they were hiding direct subliminal messages in their music, even if that article is trying to suggest otherwise.

The Sign was a great album, and I even liked much of The Bridge haha. Totallll guilty pleasure of mine in the 90s, but they will never be a R&R HOF nomination.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Wow, an article stretching the truth thin for the sake of attention. On the internet. Will wonders never cease.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    You guys realize what Cracked magazine is right?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    i guess i should have used the emoji when i posted it before hahaha

sorry everyone, i love ace of base. i was just trying to present something weird and humorous.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    LOL clearly not. I'm not really sure the humor in painting people out to be neo-Nazis, but that's just me.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    http://unmetal.bigcartel.com/product/the-sign

Proud to say I badgered them into making this shirt ;D

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Bon Jovi, Dire Straits, The Moody Blues, The Cars, Nina Simone, and Sister Rosetta Tharpe make up the 2018 class. Both Dire Straits and The Moodies' going in outweigh any indignation I might have about Bon Jovi going in over Judas Priest. More importantly to me, between this and the last class it seems to me they are realizing that there are still lots of 60's and 70's acts they haven't recognized yet and are making up for lost time.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Bon Jovi, Dire Straits, The Moody Blues, The Cars, Nina Simone, and Sister Rosetta Tharpe make up the 2018 class. Both Dire Straits and The Moodies' going in outweigh any indignation I might have about Bon Jovi going in over Judas Priest. More importantly to me, between this and the last class it seems to me they are realizing that there are still lots of 60's and 70's acts they haven't recognized yet and are making up for lost time.
    Very nice to see Sister Rosetta Tharpe and Nina Simone on that list. I can thank my mom for introducing me to Nina Simone (and Bill Evans for that matter).

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I'm just happy that FINALLY..... the Moody Blues are in the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame. I'm also glad that Nina Simone and the Cars are in. Never really got into Dire Straits while Bon Jovi is just a corporate rock band that is more about business than music. No wonder Ritchie Sambora left.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Almost went to Cleveland, so glad I didn't. Bon Jovi were on stage for almost an hour, and Dire Straits' segment was very short and awkward as their original bass player and their two keyboard players went on stage and made brief speeches. None of their songs were played, and nobody even introduced them.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Almost went to Cleveland, so glad I didn't. Bon Jovi were on stage for almost an hour, and Dire Straits' segment was very short and awkward as their original bass player and their two keyboard players went on stage and made brief speeches. None of their songs were played, and nobody even introduced them.
    Typical of the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame. Plus, I heard Mark Knopfler didn't bother to show up. I don't blame him.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Dire Straits is fucking incredible and have accomplished amazing things and deserves to be in there for sure. Mark Knopfler has a unique playing style wherein he basically plays regular lead, flashy solos and all, but without a pick. He's extremely underrated as a guitarist. To me, he IS Dire Straits.
    They also did some things that are insanely important to the history of music: they had the first album recorded entirely digitally, the first CD single, and the first CD to sell a million copies. They also had the first video played on MTV in several European countries if I'm not mistaken (Money for Nothing,) which was also one of the first few on MTV in America (again, if I'm not mistaken.) They have also produced a string of hits/radio standards (Sultans of Swing, Industrial Disease, Walk of Life, Down to the Waterline, Tunnel of Love, So Far Away, Brothers in Arms, Money for Nothing, Romeo and Juliet, etc) and are one of the best selling bands of all time.

Basically they hit a trifecta: they are insanely talented and original and ALSO managed to be huge pop stars, AND did things that happened to be massive turning points for music.

My dad turned me onto this band when I was REALLY young, like single digit young, and I loved them then and love them even more now. So I'm biased and a bit of a fanboy.
    But even so, even if I weren't a fan, I still think I'd strongly believe that they deserve the honor more than 99% of their contemporaries.

The Cars weren't nearly as important as Dire Straits IMHO, but they, too, were something really special with their game changing blend of punk and synth pop. They were also just fucking incredible and something I became aware of by name at like five years old. They did Just What I Needed, Bye Bye Love,You're All I've Got Tonight, Good Times Roll,Best Friend's Girl: JESUS.

I'm really thrilled that some of the VERY first bands I ever cared about, like literally at preschool age, are in the hall of fame now. I know the selection process is fairly meaningless, but still. it makes me happy.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    dire straits introduced me to the word "faggot."

thanks a ton, guys.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    dire straits introduced me to the word "faggot."

thanks a ton, guys.
    I REALLY think that song was meant to be ironic. He's talking about HIMSELF being called a "faggot." He's the one in the rock band, with the earring , after all.

Here, see this. And just for the record, that was what I thought of it before looking up their defense of it. You know my history @kel , and how I would feel about it if I didn't think it was meant to be satire.
    "Yesterday, Dire Straits keyboard player Guy Fletcher responded to the controversy on his website. “MFN does not ‘celebrate’ a slur,” he wrote. “In it, Mark uses real everyday U.S. street language to describe how a numbskull worker in a hardware department in a television/custom kitchen/refrigerator/microwave appliance store, feels about a video being shown in the store.”
    Last edited by elevenism; 05-01-2018 at 10:15 PM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    uh no, it was supposedly about motley crew, based solely on makeup and earrings. and when canadian radio attempted to make it suitable for airplay, they changed it to "queenie."

the damage on my five-year-old psyche was done. i was still a "queenie" at best. if i'm wrong, ask the kids on the playground if they thought there was a difference.

fuck them.
    Last edited by kel; 05-01-2018 at 10:16 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    uh no, it was supposedly about motley crew, based solely on makeup and earrings. and when canadian radio attempted to make it suitable for airplay, they changed it to "queenie."

the damage on my five-year-old psyche was done. i was still a "queenie" at best. if i'm wrong, ask the kids on the playground if they thought there was a difference.

fuck them.
    Nikki Sixx claimed it was about Motley Crue, with no evidence. I'm honestly REALLY sorry that it hurt you but I just don't see it the same way. I mean, I don't say this much, but I'm bisexual, and if I thought there was hate in the song, I wouldn't love the band.

I can damn sure understand what you mean.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Two facts of life, kids can be some of the cruelest people on the planet and Nikki Sixx is an ego-maniac.

I am bisexual too, and though I didn't discover those feelings until I was much older than kel I can understand the kind of repression that happens because of schoolyard bullying. I'm deeply ashamed to admit now that I even used some of that same language among my peers myself, until I was 14. That was when I really had a deeper sense of how much a scourge homophobia is around the world, and that I had quite a bit of growing up to do.

I've heard several live versions of the song and I think I've only ever heard Mark Knopfler use the original line once. He used "queenie" maybe once or twice too, but the standard replacement was "maggot". But perhaps the damage was done, and as a fan that does provide some conflict, especially considering I have heard stories about me being transfixed by the video as a very young child.

The word also makes an appearance in a King Crimson song, but in it's British context as it is the name of a food.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    The whole song and use of the word was derived from an anecdote wherein manual labourers were watching a band on MTV - probably Crue considering the time - and being pissed off that they were just up there playing music and getting rich while they had to, in their own view, work their asses off:

"That little faggot got his own jet airplane
    That little faggot he's a millionaire
    We got to install microwave ovens custom kitchen deliveries
    We got to move these refrigerators we gotta move these color TV's"

I remember when I thought some of the language I learned from G-Funk hip-hop was acceptable as a kid. Boy, was I wrong. Live and learn.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Whenever they play that song now on the radio, they cut out that verse on the song. It's kind of a buzzkill when you know that you'll never hear the whole song again on radio. They did the same thing on VH1 Classics (now MTV Classics) as they cut out that verse and the portion in the video. I can understand why that line is offensive but I don't think it really meant gays. I don't want to cause trouble. Even as it's one of the few songs by Dire Straits that I like.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    from an old Seattle Weekly News article

"Knopfler's dropping of the f-bomb could be construed as a wry slap at homophobic Reaganism at its most rampant."

Edit: for the record, guys, i'm not trying to PROVE anything here. this quote just goes along with how i PERSONALLY feel about it.

I may be totally fucking wrong.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    2019 potential inductees, no dice for Trent. For my ballot I'm voting Def Leppard, Janet Jackson (fuck Les Moonves), Radiohead, Roxy Music and Todd Rundgren.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    2019 potential inductees, no dice for Trent. For my ballot I'm voting Def Leppard, Janet Jackson (fuck Les Moonves), Radiohead, Roxy Music and Todd Rundgren.
    ...LL Cool J got a nom but Trent didn't?...what the actual fuck Radiohead and Roxy Music for me then.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    LL Cool J has actually been in these lists since 2010, off and on ever since.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Stevie Nicks all the way for me!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    She's leading the fan vote, which is surprising to me though Def Leppard is a close 2nd.

One great big festering neon distraction....
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Trent should give the induction speech for Rundgren.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Devo unfortunately have no chance in hell of getting inducted despite deserving it.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deadwinterskies View Post
    Trent should give the induction speech for Rundgren.
    Surprised he didn't do the one for Bowie, maybe he passed on it.