Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Transparent - Hey look non-criminal trans people on TV!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Transparent - Hey look non-criminal trans people on TV!

This is a new Amazon original series that moves between tragic, funny and heartwarming. It's great to see a show portraying characters in a relatable way even when you're pissed off at them. They're not caricatures, in other words. Even better is the fact that a mainstream show is finally portraying trans people as something other than murderous thieving hookers (for fuck sake).

I do have a connection here. One of the producers of the show is the very accomplished and brilliant fine artist, Zackary Drucker. I interned for her a few years back, and even did the photoshop work for this doormat! That's not what makes the show good though; it's just good. And it's just been renewed for a second season!

Anyone else out there watching this?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    98% on Rotten Tomatoes. Nice.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/3471/s01/

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    definitely want to check this out. love jeffrey tambor and i'm so glad that they're portraying a trans character as a REAL PERSON.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I'm about halfway through right now. I have to say, I think the show itself is just ok (though it's keeping my interest) but I think Jeffrey Tambor is AMAZING in that role. And I really appreciate how well they're handing the trans* issues on this show. I'm engrossed whenever that particular storyline comes up. It's the most authentic trans* portrayal I think I've ever seen and it has all rung completely true to me. And I *love* that they have other trans* characters on the show (albeit in smaller roles) and appear to have trans* actors as well. I think the show is worth watching for those elements alone.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    No discussion of the new season here?

I just finished season 2. I thought the nazi Germany flash backs were a little cheesy but I really loved this season even more so than the first. The man on land episode has really messed with my head. The fire side discussion about privilege and pain - I can see both sides there and I think both sides are right. Neither is wrong. But how can that be? Mind = blown.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Both sides were not right. The campers' arguments were typical trans misogynistic/cissexist arguments meant to marginalize and invalidate trans women.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the second season, although it would have been nice to see more of Maura (I know she's not really the main character anymore but seriously she was barely in most of the season). Allie was less annoying this season. Sarah is a mess, I don't really know what to say about her. Her story was least interesting. My favorite storyline of the season, by far, was Josh's (and he's the character I'm most looking forward to seeing next season). Also, I freaking love Shelly.
    Last edited by theruiner; 01-01-2016 at 01:33 PM.