Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: The Ebola Thread

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    It's not a party platform issue
    But both stupid fucking parties are gonna find a way to make it one. I've jumped ship to the independent game, I'm sick of all these party assholes, especially during times like this. They're all beholden to the corporate dollar, even the Liberturdians.

edit: Wow, gas prices here in Chicago, wow! In Wisconsin, we paid $3.09 for PREMIUM!

Ebola ftw!
    Last edited by allegro; 10-16-2014 at 09:48 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    But both stupid fucking parties are gonna find a way to make it one. I've jumped ship to the independent game, I'm sick of all these party assholes, especially during times like this. They're all beholden to the corporate dollar, even the Liberturdians.

edit: Wow, gas prices here in Chicago, wow! In Wisconsin, we paid $3.09 for PREMIUM!

Ebola ftw!
    If Ebola is still a national crisis at election time we are gonna be having a really bad time.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Satyr View Post
    If Ebola is still a national crisis at election time we are gonna be having a really bad time.
    Are you suggesting that people will or won't go to the polls because of Ebola?

Texas Hospital worker takes a cruise, turns into a leper

FEARBOLA
    Last edited by Dra508; 10-17-2014 at 08:07 AM.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    We have big elections here on Nov 4, I'm surprised it's not already in a few of the debates.

Donald Trump thinks stopping flights to/from West Africa will fix things, not remembering that somebody can fly from West Africa to, say, London, hang out a week, then fly to the U.S.
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...13285256249345
    Last edited by allegro; 10-17-2014 at 09:48 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Donald Trump thinks stopping flights to/from West Africa will fix things, not remembering that somebody can fly from West Africa to, say, London, hang out a week, then fly to the U.S.
    It's terrifying how many of the comments or whatever on that tweet are agreeing with that moron.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    We have big elections here on Nov 4
    They're big for who? I ask because with all this voter ID bullshit also in the news, I wouldn't be surprised if some politicos were looking to suppress voter turn out in some otherebolaway.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    A Maine teacher is put on 21-day leave simply because she traveled to the city of Dallas.

I really hope this is just cowardice and not utter stupidity... that weak leaders decided it was just easier to put her on leave than to stand up to a few loud parents and tell them they were being irrational.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post

Texas Hospital worker takes a cruise, turns into a leper

FEARBOLA
    I think he is suggesting that Ebola will become a partisan battle topic which is good for absolutely nobody.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    lol...

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    A Maine teacher is put on 21-day leave simply because she traveled to the city of Dallas.

I really hope this is just cowardice and not utter stupidity... that weak leaders decided it was just easier to put her on leave than to stand up to a few loud parents and tell them they were being irrational.

well, Mexico just refused entry to an entire cruise ship because a passenger on board MAY have handled a sample from Duncan.... even though she is showing no symptoms and is sitting in voluntary isolation on the ship.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...try-in-belize/

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Lol @ calling this a crisis now.

Thousands of Africans die? Meh. No big deal.

A couple of US citizens get it? EVERYONE FUCKING PANIC SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    We have big elections here on Nov 4, I'm surprised it's not already in a few of the debates.

I don't agree with halting flights, but you can't say that halting flights to/from WA wouldn't dramatically decrease the chances of someone from WA carrying ebola into the US.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    'We're a floating petri dish': Panic onboard the 'Ebola cruise'
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...la-cruise.html

I was laughing so hard at the panic of the people onboard. People are fucking CRYING!? I mean, this passenger is at a very low risk of having Ebola to begin with. Further, she has no symptoms AND is self-quarantined. That motherfucker isn't going to crawl through the airducts and rape-kill you... for fucks sake.

But then I got to the part where Belize and Mexico refused to allow the ship near their land or even provide flight transport for the Lab Supervisor back to the US, despite John Kerry calling them up and asking. What in the fuck is that all about? Inbound flights from West Africa are a MUCH higher risk than this and you haven't blocked them.

I can't disagree with their statement though: "It is clear, even in the US with all their capacity, with all their expertise, there are still a lot of unanswered questions as to how this thing gets transmitted. Their response, their approach, their treatment of the issue, seems to be a work in progress." yuuuuuup

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    But then I got to the part where Belize and Mexico refused to allow the ship near their land or even provide flight transport for the Lab Supervisor back to the US, despite John Kerry calling them up and asking. What in the fuck is that all about? Inbound flights from West Africa are a MUCH higher risk than this and you haven't blocked them.
    I thought Belize and Mexico had joined the list blocking incoming flights from ebola-stricken countries.

I agree this is hysteria, but WHY is this person on a cruise ship? What happened to the 21 day observation period, where you don't travel or do stuff? Even if you're sure it's unwarranted panic, placate people and just insist that the people working on patient zero not do something like... I dunno... embark on a cross country luxury cruise.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    I thought Belize and Mexico had joined the list blocking incoming flights from ebola-stricken countries.

I agree this is hysteria, but WHY is this person on a cruise ship? What happened to the 21 day observation period, where you don't travel or do stuff? Even if you're sure it's unwarranted panic, placate people and just insist that the people working on patient zero not do something like... I dunno... embark on a cross country luxury cruise.
    I think you are right. Looks like Belize is blocking anyone who has traveled to WA in the last 30 days. So at least their actions are consistent. I couldn't find anything about Mexico.

As for the 21day period. Everyone was told to take their temperature daily. The first nurse became sick 2 days after the cruise started. I think any of the travel restrictions for asymptomatic people came after this.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Because the CDC dropped the ball again and didn't have a plan in place in place for what happened with the health workers after someone was treated for Ebola. Somewhat naively, someone assumed the best case scenario that no one had been infected... consequently, there were no controls in place.
    Edit: though to be fair, the people at the Nebraska biocontainment unit weren't in quarantine after they treated patients... but they knew what they were doing.
    Last edited by cynicmuse; 10-19-2014 at 02:49 AM. Reason: more info

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    Lol @ calling this a crisis now.

Thousands of Africans die? Meh. No big deal.

A couple of US citizens get it? EVERYONE FUCKING PANIC SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING
    Reminds me of a retweet from William Gibson I saw yesterday. "My favourite stat of the day; more Americans have been married to Kim Kardashian than have died from Ebola"

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    "More Americans have been dumped by Taylor Swift than have died from Ebola." - reddit

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    queue all the fucking "survival stories" from people on the ship.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    queue all the fucking "survival stories" from people on the ship.
    People from a school district in Oklahoma who were on the cruise were being asked to stay home until the lab technician was cleared. o_0

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    After the dallas shitshow that even other countries are calling us out for, I'm not too surprised on the extreme over-caution.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Meanwhile, the Pentagon is working to create a 30-person team of medical experts that can be quickly dropped onto Ebola cases that pop up in the US.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...a29_story.html

Our hollywood view of the government having tens of thousands of men in black suits ready to dominate the shit out of these situations doesn't really hold up... They waited until NOW to develop this system and it ONLY has 30 people. And note that this is the Pentagon, not the CDC.
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 10-20-2014 at 04:41 PM.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    JFK is paying people $19/hour to screen for ebola. Basically, taking temps and asking questions.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Seems pretty standard for an EMT in NYC, no?

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Yeah, it's more a case of underutilizing someone that it is overpaying them. Certified EMTs for $19/hr and paramedics for $29/hr, if I remember correctly. I suppose it's better than paying random people who are more likely to infect themselves.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    They start at just under 32k through FDNY. But, as with most jobs like that around here, waiting lists are forever and ever.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Ebololololololola

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    School keeping two kids from attending classes because they moved to the US from Rwanda

Rwanda is obviously thousands of miles away from the infected region but hey .. it's in Africa!.
    Quotes from parents on the record:

“Tell us when we come into the door. Don’t smile in my face and have a secret like that.”

“I don’t feel comfortable sending my daughter to school with people who could be infected with Ebola.”