Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Knight Rises

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The bridges. My god the bridges.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine

whine

whine whine whine whine whine whinge whinge whinge fuckin whinge

I loved it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PooPooMeowChow View Post
    Also the Hover-bat-craft seems like a gimmick.
    First we had the Bat Tank.
    Then we had the Bat Bike!
    NOW we get the Bat Hover/flying machine thing. woooo!
    I think there is a clause in every Batman movie contract that they have to have a new vehicle for action figure tie-ins.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The opening sequence that ran with the IMAX versions of MI4 got me pumped. All the trailers, though, including this new one, have left me cold. The new trailer even moreso than the teaser, I think. Whether it's ultimately good or bad or just okay, people exiting the theater will need a paddle to row out of the fanboy splooge.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I thought it was cool. I actually like the catwoman portrayal much more than the bane one.

Also has anyone else noticed that this seems to be a movie about batman being gone? Nobody can find him, he looks crippled the whole time and catwomans doing most of his fighting.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    OK, the music in the new trailer is amazing. Sounds like Hans is going to do a bang-up job.

I totally got goosebumps. I'm especially excited by Catwoman - her fighting style looks fucking badass. I like Anne Hathaway. Even if I didn't, you gotta trust in Nolan. Judging by the trailer, The Dark Knight Rises may be one of the most gorgeous films I've ever seen. Wally Pfister you amazing man, you.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exploding Plastic View Post
    The bridges. My god the bridges.
    Reminded me of DC's No Man's Land​.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    Even if I didn't, you gotta trust in Nolan.
    Why? Some people like some of Nolan's movies without actually liking Nolan's work in general. Batman as a character/property carries enough of his own audience that it's conceivable some people are on board even if they have issues with Nolan's representation.

The Dark Knight Rises may be one of the most gorgeous films I've ever seen. Wally Pfister you amazing man, you.
    Go watch other movies, including (and perhaps especially) ones that didn't roll off a Hollywood production line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus T. Cosmonaut View Post
    Why? Some people like some of Nolan's movies without actually liking Nolan's work in general. Batman as a character/property carries enough of his own audience that it's conceivable some people are on board even if they have issues with Nolan's representation.
    We should trust Nolan because of his history of choosing people in this series. Nolan picked Bale while he was at his Machinist weight, based on the conversation they had and the determination in his eyes. When it was announced that Ledger would be The Joker there was a huge backlash, only to have it all quelled when the prologue was screened and it was apparent how amazing that performance was. Nolan has acquired a very good reputation as a filmmaker, and for good reason. Rotten Tomatoes seems to be a fairly reliable source for determining the quality of cinema and Nolan's lowest movie on there is his first, which is only at 76%. I'd say that's still quite good for being his debut. As for fans of the franchise having issues with his representation, that's going to happen with everything. There are always people that have it set in their head how a character should be, and when there is any deviation from that they are going to dislike the version in the film. That doesn't mean Nolan chose badly, it just means people aren't able to let go of their strict expectations.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Perhaps some feel that, Ledger aside, many of Nolan's casting decisions have been uninspired and/or could have been much better.

And, wait, Rotten Tomatoes? Really?

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfoot View Post
    When it was announced that Ledger would be The Joker there was a huge backlash
    I remember making a few Brokebat Mountain jokes...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Literally EVERYONE I worked with, knew, hung out with, etc. said Ledger was going to be shit. I was the only one in my group that was like 'No, he'll kill it. Straight kill it.' My friend Luke asked me how I knew.

'He's probably a smart enough guy, and a decent enough actor, to know that 99% of the people out there already assume he'll suck at the role. So if he has any brain he's going to bust his ass and give the performance of his life JUST to prove them wrong.' And I think he did.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Literally EVERYONE I worked with, knew, hung out with, etc. said Ledger was going to be shit. I was the only one in my group that was like 'No, he'll kill it. Straight kill it.' My friend Luke asked me how I knew.

'He's probably a smart enough guy, and a decent enough actor, to know that 99% of the people out there already assume he'll suck at the role. So if he has any brain he's going to bust his ass and give the performance of his life JUST to prove them wrong.' And I think he did.
    He absolutely did, and quite literally too. The Dark Knight was already a pretty heavy movie, but knowing that Heath died before he even saw the final cut, and that he put everything into that role just makes watching the film that more "weighty" for me. I know everyone says The Avengers is the best comic film of all time, and while I obviously can't deny it of the claim, I think I'll forever hold The Dark Knight as my pick for that crown. That is, until I see TDKR.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    best comic film of all time
    Nah; super-heroes aren't the only comic book movies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    At least I'll again have a Baz Luhrmann movie to enjoy more than this.
    Last edited by Lutz; 05-03-2012 at 11:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EPICRAGE View Post
    I agree that Bane's voice sounds like a voice-over. Even the audio levels seem higher? I do like that I understand what he is saying. While I enjoyed the accent and the muffled tone, I could not tell what he was saying during the prequel.
    It seems to me all the dialogue is sonically out of context. Even Selina saying that a storm is coming doesn't sound like she is talking to Bruce in a ballroom. I'm sure that in the actual film it will sound right and the volume level will be appropriate. Also, it was the prologue, not a prequel.
    Is that Selina Kyle doing the cartwheel in Jail, breaking that dudes arms?
    Yes.
    Last edited by Goldfoot; 05-05-2012 at 01:00 AM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I think TDKR will focus more on Wayne, the way Batman Begins did. Not only because trilogies always have to come full circle, but the story is about Wayne getting crippled by Bane and "rising" back up the retake Gotham.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Planet of the apes View Post
    Not one post on the old fourm claiming ''Heath would kill it'' yet here you are after the fact! Typical lame fan boy.
    There's totally a quote button. I can't tell who you're picking on and you've done this several times, it's almost like you're talking to nothing...which is probably better that way.

ANYWAY! Loved the trailer. I like the series, not as much as some people here, but I'm on board for this one. I was never keen on Nolan's choices for the characters, but I can't second guess him anymore. I don't think I'll be let down, and I think Bane looks even cooler than I would have thought. Looks much better than Spider Man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    There's totally a quote button. I can't tell who you're picking on and you've done this several times, it's almost like you're talking to nothing...which is probably better that way.
    I thought it was pretty clear he's talking to october_midnight but, yeah, quotes are there for a reason and should be used.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    New trailer is so pretty. I was thinking during the trailer that every villain in Nolan's trilogy seems intent on having Gotham destroy itself from the inside out, like all they want to do is give it that little nudge (and by "nudge" I mean blow up hospitals and boats and chemically treat the water system), but I think it's interesting that rather than completely engineer the city's destruction themselves, they're more interested in just facilitating what they see as its inevitable destruction. Nolan's villains are all pissed-off, face-painting, mask-wearing nihilists of the finest order. When you compare, say, The Avengers' Loki to Nolan's Joker or Bane, the former is rendered almost cartoonish.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Not one post on the old fourm claiming ''Heath would kill it'' yet here you are after the fact! Typical lame fan boy.

You're right about the film having a weight to it. His last scene where he say's '' I think you and I are destined to do this forever'' just sucks the breath out of you're chest. I wonder what they would have done if he was still here.
    I think if he was still alive, he might have had one scene in the new movie. But honestly, the obvious conclusion to that character's storyline is that he's probably killed in jail by someone on the ferry containing the prisoners.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    So Peter Sciretta from /Film and Harry Knowles are both talking about TDKR not making as much money as The Avengers because it will more than likely be an hour longer, therefor less screenings.

Wait.. so Avengers was 2 hours and 20 minutes, so did I miss the announcement that TDKR was going to be 3+ hours or what?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    So Peter Sciretta from /Film and Harry Knowles are both talking about TDKR not making as much money as The Avengers because it will more than likely be an hour longer, therefor less screenings.

Wait.. so Avengers was 2 hours and 20 minutes, so did I miss the announcement that TDKR was going to be 3+ hours or what?
    Really? Sounds like these guys are full of shit. Someone should remind them that Titanic, the second highest all time worldwide box office champ is 3 hours and 14 minutes long while Avatar, the worldwide box office champ is 2 hours and 58 minutes long.

The real mind boggling question though is why are they trying to find excuses for how much money a movie will make when it's not even out yet? Don't they have faith in said movie?

This is so ridiculous. Of course TDKR will be successful; there is no doubt in my mind about that. Pardon my French but to say that this movie (or any other) is not successful because it doesn't make $200 mil on its first weekend is fucking bullshit.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Really? Sounds like these guys are full of shit. Someone should remind them that Titanic, the second highest all time worldwide box office champ is 3 hours and 14 minutes long while Avatar, the worldwide box office champ is 2 hours and 58 minutes long.

The real mind boggling question though is why are they trying to find excuses for how much money a movie will make when it's not even out yet? Don't they have faith in said movie?

This is so ridiculous. Of course TDKR will be successful; there is no doubt in my mind about that. Pardon my French but to say that this movie (or any other) is not successful because it doesn't make $200 mil on its first weekend is fucking bullshit.

I don't think they mean long term gross (i.e Titanic, Avatar). Over time that will balance out, as everyone who wants to see it eventually will.

But for the opening weekend, which is the record set by Avengers, there will only be a certain amount of screenings possible in the 72 hour window. Even if it's only 20-30 minutes difference in run time, that could potentially make the difference between it breaking the record and not I suppose.

I think TDKR is definitely set up to make a run at it, but if you are looking at it in the truest logical sense, they may have a valid point. I mean TDKR could open as the 2nd largest opening weekend of all time, and that wouldn't really make a difference in my eyes. It would still qualify as a major success, and bested the previous film in the trilogy, so there is no need to pit the two films against each other. I mean some fanboys are moronic and look at it as a pissing contest (i.e IMDB boards), but I think most industry people are looking at it now in an objective way, since going into 2012 TDKR was by far the more hyped film, but 200.3M is going to be near impossible to beat. Movie writers like those two just enjoy being pundits trying to predict the future I imagine, they simply enjoy the battle, but don't have much of a rooting interest one way or the other. Either way it's enjoyable for them since no matter who wins, it's going to be a win for the industry with the biggest summer numbers ever, and that is what I believe they are likely driving the focus towards.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I could absolutely care less about these two guys trying to predict how much money it will make. I just want to know where this 3 hour running time business is coming from, if there was an actual statement about it or if they're just assuming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentofChaos View Post
    But for the opening weekend, which is the record set by Avengers, there will only be a certain amount of screenings possible in the 72 hour window. Even if it's only 20-30 minutes difference in run time, that could potentially make the difference between it breaking the record and not I suppose.
    First of all, fuck Peter. Second, they didn't even set the runtime for TDK until about a month before the film was released. I realize that doesn't mean it will happen that same way this time. I also realize that TDKR is only a little more than 2 months away, so WB could be setting the runtime any day now. As much as I'd like this film to be over 3 hours, I really do not see that happening. Third, even if it does have something like an hour more than Avengers, there should be enough demand that the theaters that can, will have more screens showing this one. The place I saw Avengers at has 20 screens, and they are managing to fit in 21 showings of it in one day. I'm not sure how many screens that is spread out to, but that is 63 showings for opening weekend, plus however many screenings they had at midnight. When I saw TDK at midnight, they had 29 screens showing it. I'm sure it would have been all 30, but for some reason (maybe contract), they had a showing of Mamma Mia. Anyway, it seems to me a longer runtime is only really going to impact small theaters, and I would guess the larger ones would make up for it. Avengers does have the (unfair) advantage of being done in 3D, though, which added a bunch of extra money onto the opening weekend figure.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I don't know man. Heath was signed to do two films. If he was still alive I think warner bros would have insisted on him being a main villain, Which begs the question, Would the film have made as much money and would he have won an oscar. I think its fair to assume the film would of made alot of money however I dont think as much and I think he would not of won the oscar. I do know if he was still alive he would of been a big part of this film. His story would not of ended by him being killed in Arkym, hes the fucking joker!

Also I thought it was clear I was talking to nothing. A big one at that!
    SICK BURN, BRAH! Learn to quote. BTW, where is Arkym located?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    What's everyone's take on Bane?

I'm really intrigued by how he seems intent on "punishing" Batman/Bruce instead of strictly antagonizing him. Maybe there isn't a difference, but that's why I'd like to open the discussion on that topic. He's obviously the ultimate physical foil to Bats, but in the bigger picture, is he more threatening than Joker or Ra's? At his core, he doesn't seem too different from either, which is why I'm so interested in the nuances of his villainy like the "punishment" aspect. In any case, I'm looking forward to Bane breaking many bones and causing general carnage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's been my main question about him; why is he trying to punish Bruce/Bats? What happened to Bane that makes him want vengeance against our hero? I'm sure a lot happened in the 8 year gap since The Dark Knight, and perhaps it was something during that time? Perhaps we will see the return of the League Of Shadows, this time with Bane as their "ace in the hole." Perhaps Bruce must be punished for stopping them the first time around. He allowed everything that happened since Begins to take place, and perhaps the city got much worse. I know that in the trailer it says they are at a time of peace, but we do not have context for that and we don't know when that started. That would be the trilogy coming full circle and returning to the idea of tearing a city down once it's reached its pinnacle of decadence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The original plan before The Dark Knight was to make two films with the Joker. The first with him at large and being bought in and then the second him on trial against Harvey Dent leading to the creation of Two Face.

Somewhere along the line I think they just took the whole idea and put in into The Dark Knight.