Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Knight Rises

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beat View Post
    Does anyone have a link to a bootleg of the prologue? Really eager to see this.
    There's one on TPB. It's not very good quality and the aspect ratio isn't right, so it's missing a bunch of the frame. I'm not aware of anything close to proper quality though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I miss the time when batman was placed in the world of plausible. Batman Begins did it well, TDK to a step away from it, seeing a football player out run a crumbling surface (just like brendan fraser did in Journey to the Center of the earth) makes me think TDKR took a giant leap away from reality.

Looks cool btw.
    Last edited by Nappyp; 12-19-2011 at 06:01 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nappyp View Post
    I miss the time when batman was placed in the world of plausible. Batman Begins did it well, TDK to a step away from it, seeing a football player out run a crumbling surface (just like brendan fraser did in Journey to the Center of the earth) makes me think TDKR took a giant leap away from reality.
    Why is it hard to believe that Bane would have explosives rigged under the field? And what is too much to believe in The Dark Knight? It's a very common thing in fiction to find someone's weakness and exploit it so that person will do whatever you want. This is exactly what The Joker did to get everything he wanted, and in a city as corrupt as Gotham, he had no shortage of people to blackmail.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I miss the time when batman was placed in the world of plausible.
    That made me laugh.

I'm pretty much laughing about anyone complaining about the "James Bondness" of TDK. Didn't Batman Begins have a flower that made you hallucinate when you inhaled it, little tiny micro bombs and a cape that when electrified, became hard enough to glide with? With all of its grounded elements, in the end, we're talking about movies where the main character is a guy dressed as a bat. There's going to be some fantastical elements involved no matter how plausible the world around Batman seems lately.

Also, Hines Ward (the wide receiver in the clip) can do a 40-yard dash in 4.6 seconds. Just saying.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Anyone else think that Spoiler: in the new trailer, the shot of someone walking up to a silver platter, limping with a cane, is Bruce?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Anyone else think that Spoiler: in the new trailer, the shot of someone walking up to a silver platter, limping with a cane, is Bruce?
    Yes.

10char

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beat View Post
    Does anyone have a link to a bootleg of the prologue? Really eager to see this.
    It's available on torrents.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Randazzo View Post
    That made me laugh.

I'm pretty much laughing about anyone complaining about the "James Bondness" of TDK. Didn't Batman Begins have a flower that made you hallucinate when you inhaled it, little tiny micro bombs and a cape that when electrified, became hard enough to glide with? With all of its grounded elements, in the end, we're talking about movies where the main character is a guy dressed as a bat. There's going to be some fantastical elements involved no matter how plausible the world around Batman seems lately.

Also, Hines Ward (the wide receiver in the clip) can do a 40-yard dash in 4.6 seconds. Just saying.
    But those are all relatively reasonable and lightly handled when compared to being pulled out of a building with and airplane, making a truck flip over with a motorbike, and that sort of thing. Then Spoiler: dangling an airplane from another airplane, and then cutting it in half it's even more hilariously over the top then the last two examples.... by a lot!

I could believe that there's a flower that when burned makes you hallucinate, that's not much of a stretch. Somewhere in the world, tiny bombs like that actually exist. Also, that cape is based on a real kind of fabric that totally actually does that.

But for me, while some of it was about the realism, a lot of it was about the subtlety, the writing, and the focus on character. Those elements seem to be slipping as well.

*edit*

and what's nolan's deal with fucking airplanes anyway?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    But those are all relatively reasonable and lightly handled when compared to being pulled out of a building with and airplane,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulton_...ecovery_system

making a truck flip over with a motorbike, and that sort of thing.
    That stunt was real. It wasn't CGI, it was real and in the movie world, it was done with an advanced military bike that had guns, shot grappling hooks and could swivel on its own axis.

Then Spoiler: dangling an airplane from another airplane, and then cutting it in half it's even more hilariously over the top then the last two examples.... by a lot!
    Difficult, but not impossible.

I could believe that there's a flower that when burned makes you hallucinate, that's not much of a stretch. Somewhere in the world, tiny bombs like that actually exist. Also, that cape is based on a real kind of fabric that totally actually does that.

But for me, while some of it was about the realism, a lot of it was about the subtlety, the writing, and the focus on character. Those elements seem to be slipping as well.

*edit*

and what's nolan's deal with fucking airplanes anyway?
    Look dude, I get what you're saying, but you shouldn't criticize an action flick for being an action flick. There was plenty of character development for Bruce, Gordon, Alfred and Lucius in all of these movies, even if in TDK it felt like Joker and Harvey's movie. It was about Bruce reacting to everything around him and wondering if becoming the Batman ended up leading to eccentric madmen like The Joker coming out of the woodwork, thus forcing him to step up his game and capitalize on the wealth of equipment and knowledge he has amassed over the years. Now, the perception of everything in Gotham is peace without him... until Bane shows up and sinks a football field during a game. Make no mistake, this has always been about Bruce from start to finish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    But those are all relatively reasonable and lightly handled when compared to being pulled out of a building with and airplane, making a truck flip over with a motorbike, and that sort of thing. Then Spoiler: dangling an airplane from another airplane, and then cutting it in half it's even more hilariously over the top then the last two examples.... by a lot!

You're ok with the memory cloth because it's real, but you're not ok with the surface-to-air recovery Batman does to get out of Hong Kong? You must not know that's a real technique. As for flipping a tractor-trailer, I'm sure with the right leverage and mounting supports, it is entirely possible as well. And sure, it isn't going to nicely flip end over end like that, but if you could bring the truck portion to a complete stop very abruptly, you bet your ass the back of it is going to keep going. Also, if I remember correctly, Batman shoots the cable underneath the trailer, so when it's pulled tight, it would lift the trailer, causing it to raise above the cab. Can it be pulled off on the move with a motorcycle attaching the cable? Maybe not, but there has to be some suspension of disbelief when it comes to fiction. This is, after all, still fiction, though it is grounded in reality. You're not going to see Clayface in the Nolan Bat-verse, but I think flipping a truck and the airplane sequence from the prologue are completely plausible. I really don't see what unbelievable about the new airplane scene, at all. It clearly shows them all attached with cables, so they're secured from going anywhere.

As for the writing, you really cannot assess how that is in the new film. You have every right to criticize what has already been released, but you can not form any sort of opinion as to the writing based on one scene. Every one of your concerns could be completely wiped away once you see the scene in the context of the completed film.
    Last edited by Goldfoot; 12-19-2011 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Arg, I'm terrible at proofreading

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    You're right, I really can't judge the writing in the new film, and much of those comments were directed at the last one (which for the most part, I still really like). And I should add that as a fan of all things batman in general, I will probably like it no matter what. The last two films had put my expectations and hopes in a new place, though.

Also, I wasn't sure, but I did kind of figure that the airplane removal situation was totally possible. It's definately more over the top though, you know? I don't think it dilutes the artistry of the thing, and it's definately something I would a expect from a Batman thing, but it's definately a different direction than Begins, if not slightly, and I think Begins... and Mask of the Phantasm are the holy grails of Batman Cinema.

Then again I also very much love the Adam West Batmans or Batmen, and after all this grim and gritty stuff, maybe it'd be fun to see someone not take Batman so seriously again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You're right, I really can't judge the writing in the new film, and much of those comments were directed at the last one (which for the most part, I still really like). And I should add that as a fan of all things batman in general, I will probably like it no matter what. The last two films had put my expectations and hopes in a new place, though.

Also, I wasn't sure, but I did kind of figure that the airplane removal situation was totally possible. It's definately more over the top though, you know? I don't think it dilutes the artistry of the thing, and it's definately something I would a expect from a Batman thing, but it's definately a different direction than Begins, if not slightly, and I think Begins... and Mask of the Phantasm are the holy grails of Batman Cinema.
    The Dark Knight is definitely a bit of a different direction, but I don't think that is a bad thing. Begins was centered around the theme of fear. Organized crime was basically running the city and everyone was scared. They couldn't trust the authorities to protect them because they were on the take. This is where Batman comes in and is essentially an unstoppable force that the mob can't fight against because he can't be bought. Batman gave the citizens of Gotham a reason not to be afraid, while giving the mob a reason to be. With The Dark Knight, the theme is escalation. While Batman was Bruce's answer to the problem of crime, he shifted the balance too far and The Joker was the response to that. Since Batman had basically no limits, The Joker had to work in extremes. With an enemy as violent and unpredictable as The Joker, there wasn't really room for Batman to use his ninja skills and stealth abilities. He had to go full force to stop The Joker, and he ends up violating the rights of basically everyone in Gotham. The second film was about Bruce having to deal with the fact that some villains were only going to be there because he himself was there as Batman. So even while it seemed like it was telling the story of The Joker and Harvey, there's still plenty of Bruce in there. The presentation is flipped on purpose, but there's plenty to be said about what Bruce is going through in The Dark Knight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^^^ Personally, movie wise, I find the idea of Michael Fassbender playing a sex addict in a STARK MORALITY TALE less realistic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Looks like the studio wants Nolan to change Bane's voice. I haven't seen the long trailer so I cannot comment but still, Nolan does not want to.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Im not surprised with all the comments floating around. Digging the tbe accent and performance though. Editors probably just need to crabk down one effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So Bane is going to sound like how Batman sounded in the last movie....This should be interesting!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow. That's all I can say. I'm totally amped for this now. And I'm still holding out on Anne Hathaway being the perfect Catwoman, as Heath Ledger was the perfect Joker. I'm skeptical, but I'll put my trust in Nolan.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'm glad Nolan will concede a little to edit the sound, but I do agree that he always makes the audience meet him halfway with editing/sound/etc.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    as non native-speaker I'm surprised that I don't find it too difficult to understand Bane. of course the "wreckage"-line was very hard to get, but other than that?

while this may be of no interest for most of you I personally can't wait to hear what they've come up with for the German version of TDKR. most of the time they do a pretty decent job in getting a matching voice cast, but seeing what they did to the Joker (the usual voice-actor for Ledger just spoke the same way he usually does without incorporating anything Heath came up with for the Joker) I can't imagine anyone doing Hardy's "Bane"-talk. I just love how he says "crashing this plane".

I'm also a bit angsty that they will just dub him with a regular voice seeing how the studio is forcing Nolan to work on this problem and Hardy's still not established enough as an actor to get his own voice over here like De Niro or Johnny Depp have.

I'm curious how this will work out and if Nolan decides to do something about it. just my 2 cents from another perspective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "You can put down your flaming pitchforks of outrage, because there's no Catwoman in this trailer. But there is a masquerade ball scene that I do not appreciate....Remember in Batman Returns when that hot bitch Michelle Pfeiffer glamorously lets her sanity unravel in front of Michael Keaton while she sticks him in the side with her gun at the masquerade ball? There's a scene like that in this trailer, but instead of Anne Hathaway bringing out the insane glamour, she whispers about some 99% shit. Bitch is going on about how the rich are going to get theirs. The hell? Bitch, grab your whip and start purring and whippin' at hos. OCCUPY GLAMOUR, not WALL STREET. Oh, Michelle Pfeiffer, please deliver us from this."

Oh and on Christian Bale trying to visit detained human rights activist Chen Ghuangcheng in China;

"As Christian and CNN walked up the road to Chen's small village, they were stopped by guards who refused to let them pass. At this point, Christian could've made the guards explode into outrage by bringing up Anne Hathaway as Catwoman and quietly snuck past them as their minds boggled inside of their heads."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs up

I miss the time when batman was placed in the world of plausible.
    You mean like the first Harry Potter?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PooPooMeowChow View Post
    You mean like the first Harry Potter?
    You're the Batman, Harry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Actually if you want to get right down to it Adam West's Batman is the most plausible of them all. All his vehicles were real and exactly what you would expect a millionaire playboy to have. He never did anything outside reality - he even climbed walls slowly while people watched. He was sociable and affable with plenty of friends and his villains were mainly just petty, flamboyantly dressed people, with a bit of flair for the dramatic.

Each new Batman has slowly become more fantastical and over the tip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
    Actually if you want to get right down to it Adam West's Batman is the most plausible of them all. All his vehicles were real and exactly what you would expect a millionaire playboy to have. He never did anything outside reality - he even climbed walls slowly while people watched. He was sociable and affable with plenty of friends and his villains were mainly just petty, flamboyantly dressed people, with a bit of flair for the dramatic.

That's because it was campy when West was Batman. The Tumbler was designed (in the film) to be used by the military. Sure it may not be real to us, but it isn't as far-fetched as the Batmobile from Burton's movies. Other than that, how is Nolan's Batman more fantastical than the previous three?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Two words: Shark Repellent

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

This is gold. I've always appreciated the Adam West Batman, and thought it to be more true to Bats' roots, but I've never quite thought about it in those terms.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    "You can put down your flaming pitchforks of outrage, because there's no Catwoman in this trailer. But there is a masquerade ball scene that I do not appreciate....Remember in Batman Returns when that hot bitch Michelle Pfeiffer glamorously lets her sanity unravel in front of Michael Keaton while she sticks him in the side with her gun at the masquerade ball? There's a scene like that in this trailer, but instead of Anne Hathaway bringing out the insane glamour, she whispers about some 99% shit. Bitch is going on about how the rich are going to get theirs. The hell? Bitch, grab your whip and start purring and whippin' at hos. OCCUPY GLAMOUR, not WALL STREET. Oh, Michelle Pfeiffer, please deliver us from this."

Burton's Catwoman was a complete fabrication; i.e. it had NOTHING to do with Catwoman as portrayed in comics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Burton's Catwoman was a complete fabrication; i.e. it had NOTHING to do with Catwoman as portrayed in comics. [/LEFT]
    Yes but the large portion of Catwoman's comic history post dates Burton's film. Before she had guest appearances in different Batman comics where she was a thief and an on again off again love interest of Batman. She had a one off mini series which re established her as taking up as a hooker to lay low. Her first ongoing comic series started AFTER the release of Batman Returns which established her as an escaped orphan of the state and a petty theif who crossed a bunch of ninja's and then received training from them.

As far as Burton goes establishing her as an on again off again love interest of Batman sticks pretty close to what she originally was in the comics and the rest is filled in because Catwoman wasn't a very well fleshed out character anyway.
    Last edited by Lutz; 12-22-2011 at 12:22 AM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    http://www.amazon.com/DC-Direct-Batm...ref=pd_sim_t_8

Nothing new just an action figure from the video game

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)