Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Happy Birthday to The Fragile

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I think TF was the last album I got back in 2006 and I was blown away so hard.
    It was hard for me to find access to the record because it was so intense and depressing...still hard sometimes but I love it.
    I guess it brings up some times when it wasn't so easy for me and it's always there when those times come again.
    It is a masterpiece <3

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Been listening to this record a lot this year.

Easily my favorite album and era for NIN.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    What happened to the re-issue/release, will we ever see it? My favourite NIN album.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
    What happened to the re-issue/release, will we ever see it? My favourite NIN album.
    "Soon."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    hahahah ye soonish

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Happy birthday you beautiful album.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Old enough to have consensual sex now.

I'm sorry I'll go now

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Still we crawl...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    my NIN fandom officially turned 18 today. time to do its civic duty and vote!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I was 15 when this came out. Jeeeesus. In the interim between TPD and TF, I listened to big band jazz. TF really saved me from falling into a The Shining-like situation.

My main memories of TF era are checking the nin.com website; I'd never seen such a beautiful website before (especially for a rock band). Dave Carson + Rob Sheridan is a powerful combo. I also downloaded the album a few days early on a friend's computer and he finally got into NIN since I left them on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Damn. I honestly love all of you for posting all of your stories on here. Its truly wonderful to read through this thread about when times were simpler, and it was such an incredible experience to bring home a new album. I wish it was still like that. I got into The Fragile about 6 years after its release, as I got into NIN late. I started with With Teeth, and went backwards (at the time, With Teeth was the most recent album he put out).

Although i have no great story for the release of The Fragile, or even With Teeth, my story for Year Zero is similar to all of yours. I was in college, in Philly. It was my senior year. I had been following all of the leaks and was deep into the YZ ARG. I would spend HOURS on this site in between classes and at night just pouring through everything.

Then one morning, I woke up, checked ETS, and saw that YZ had leaked. It was raining badly, and I had a class to go to, but told myself I wouldn't go until the download finished so that I could listen to it on the way. The download finished late, I loaded it onto my Ipod and off I went, into the rain, no umbrella, thinking that I was (foolishly) the only one at the moment listening to this new album by one of my favorite bands.

I miss days like that. I feel like theirs not enough anticipation for albums anymore. All of these streaming services streaming them before they come out, it kind of just takes away from it a little. Please keep your stories coming. So far, this is one of my favorite threads on here. I love hearing about people waiting in line or for a store to open to purchase an album. Tales of a bygone era.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Fragile is the quintessential Nine Inch Nails album to me. Most would say The Downward Spiral, which I suppose is really the truth of it. I didn't really get into NIN until TPD era, being enthralled with the music video and a fan of Marilyn Manson at that point, something introduced to me by high school friends. I bought the only albums available to me in my relatively small town, which were Broken and Further Down the Spiral. (Oddly, I bought these at Walmart and always found it interesting that a) they even sold these and b) they weren't edited, something I had fallen victim to previously). We had a Sam Goody (anybody remember those?) and a local record store called Plan 9 at the time but no NIN in stock at the time for reasons unknown. Broken hooked me in, but I found FDTS strange. It made more sense later when I discovered it was a remix album of TDS.

ANYWAY, Sam Goody had posters up for The Fragile prior to it's release and I remember picking up TDTWWA single prior to getting my hands on the actual album. The single was interesting, but I wasn't truly obsessed until I picked up the album and heard Somewhat Damaged. I waited to hear the album until I got home and had the place to myself. I had a decent Sony shelf system in a cramped but livable bedroom in a townhouse my mom had gotten after my parents divorced. There was barely enough room to walk in the room, and I remember crawling across my bed to sit with my back again the wall and listen.

Mind blown is the best way to describe it. It was tempting to skip TDDWA as I'd heard it multiple times at that point but decided to hear the whole album in the first sitting. I remember being surprised at The Frail, and falling in love with WITT and JLYI. Pilgrimage was an eyebrow raiser - just wasn't expecting that. Finished the Left disc and literally just started it over. Didn't listen to the Right disc for like two days. I would say I regret that in retrospect but I don't. It was nice days later to have basically a whole other album to absorb.

I was driving my Mom's Bronco II at the time as my car was in the shop, so I did this crazy thing called copying the CD to a cassette so I could listen in her car. This I do regret, as they totally had the cassette version at the record store, I just didn't realize there would be a difference. Same with the vinyl version, as we totally had a record player. But, again, later day discoveries that made going back even better, if expensive. (eBay vinyl purchase was not cheap). I shouldn't complain though, as I got all the WITT singles for a steal at this short lived record store called CoCo's or something to that effect. Reminds me of a Tower Records. Same with the Into the Void single - didn't even think anything of them when I bought them.

Still my favorite NIN album. I would go through different phases of which side I preferred, which songs were my favorite, etc. The release of Deviations 1 brought back memories of discovering 10 Miles High and The New Flesh and Appendage and making a mix CD that fit them all in. I even mixed in 10 Miles High with the "hidden" outro of Mark Has Been Made, which took me longer to figure out how to do than it should have. There's basically no other album I can think of that I put that much effort into listening to. I invested in a CD changer for literally no other reason than to be able to hear both discs without having to get up and switch discs.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    At the time I had a DVD player that was my main 'stereo' because I was barely able to afford living off post. Anyway, "The Day the World Went Away" came out and I was so excited because it was also one of those weird HDCD things and my DVD player could play them. I remember putting The Fragile in and being like, wait, it's not HDCD too? And then suddenly "Into The Void" and "Where Is Everybody?" start the light blinking. Useless technology!

I think I listened to the album at least twice every day for a month. I know my wife got sick of it. Reminds me I need to start planning my anniversary since that's about when we got married...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Happy Birthday to The Fragile

Quote Originally Posted by Janus3659 View Post
    The Fragile is the quintessential Nine Inch Nails album to me. Most would say The Downward Spiral, which I suppose is really the truth of it. I didn't really get into NIN until TPD era, being enthralled with the music video and a fan of Marilyn Manson at that point, something introduced to me by high school friends. I bought the only albums available to me in my relatively small town, which were Broken and Further Down the Spiral. (Oddly, I bought these at Walmart and always found it interesting that a) they even sold these and b) they weren't edited, something I had fallen victim to previously). We had a Sam Goody (anybody remember those?) and a local record store called Plan 9 at the time but no NIN in stock at the time for reasons unknown. Broken hooked me in, but I found FDTS strange. It made more sense later when I discovered it was a remix album of TDS.

ANYWAY, Sam Goody had posters up for The Fragile prior to it's release and I remember picking up TDTWWA single prior to getting my hands on the actual album. The single was interesting, but I wasn't truly obsessed until I picked up the album and heard Somewhat Damaged. I waited to hear the album until I got home and had the place to myself. I had a decent Sony shelf system in a cramped but livable bedroom in a townhouse my mom had gotten after my parents divorced. There was barely enough room to walk in the room, and I remember crawling across my bed to sit with my back again the wall and listen.
    I remember Sam Goody's. I'm still in the same town I grew up in; it's been replaced by a small sports-related store, the ultimate insult to suburban music nerds.

TDTWWA always struck me as a weird and possibly bad choice for first single - it almost seems like it was made for the fans, which seems odd from a marketing perspective. I'm not sure any song off that album would have won a lot of new people over to NIN in '99, but WITT always struck me as a better choice. (Or even Somewhat Damaged; may be my favorite opening track of NIN's.)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Ive been listening to Deviations non stop since it came out. It has really made me appreciate the original album even more.
    Until recently TDS was my top album pick but I think TF takes that spot now. It is so beautiful, so multi layered.
    The choice of singles was very surprising... In essence the album has no real singles. It works best as a whole.... although I strongly feel that Big Comedown should have been the first single and MTV performance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My favourite NIN record. Hasn't aged at all in terms of production and overall sound. It's possibly the only double album that I've listened to that doesn't run of steam, every track has something impressive about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not sure where to post this but Barnes/Noble was offering a 25% off coupon in-store and 20% online that ends tonight (the 26th) so I was able to pick up The Fragile for $30.

You might be able to sweet talk a manager into honoring the coupon tomorrow if yr in need. The 5% difference is less than $2.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Someone on YouTube put together a compilation of all the songs that were played live from the Fragile ever, in order as they appear on the record to create, The Fragile Live!

Enjoy:

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Happy birthday, you little timeless thing, you.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Happy birthday, you little timeless thing, you.
    You're a more than a few months off. Can I put you down for belated wishes or super early?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    You're a more than a few months off. Can I put you down for belated wishes or super early?
    "It was his 18th birthday, and you couldn't even call?!"

"But... but I got him this card!"

"You're 4 months late!!!"

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Well..... it's finally 20 years old.
    A big Happy 20th to The Fragile. Holy smokes... 20 years... Where does time go.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    trent's masterpiece. so far.....

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Not just trent's. What could he do without clouser, lohner, dillon, hillebrandt, belew, moulder, etc.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Dunno what else I can say about this record other than the fact that it is a master-piece which was a huge game changer for NIN's sounds, abandoning the samples and advancing NIN's sounds more than ever.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    trent's masterpiece. so far.....
    Not according to Trent, who has absolutely nothing to say about it on its 20th anniversary. Clearly, TDS is the album that gets all the love in camp NIN (and rightfully so)..

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Warning: heavy post

I saw my plastic surgeon from when I was a kid in a car accident last week. I hadn’t seen him in 25 years. He reminded me that I almost died of a head injury to my face. I really want to play him “the day the world went away”. I will never forget getting the chills while I listened to Trent sing “the plastic face forced portray” for the first time and so many times after.

The lyrics “but in his voice I heard decay” also reminds me of when I was told what happened. Awake and injured, I couldn’t see anything. The minister was next to me telling me the horrific details of my situation. I could hear it in his voice that the news was bad.

This song will always be poetry about that day for me. The entire album helped me heal and carry on and become the person I am today. It’s probably still my favorite nin album. It’s hard to pick anymore because I love them all so much. This one was there for me tho.

“I won’t let you fall apart”.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Not according to Trent, who has absolutely nothing to say about it on its 20th anniversary.
    JFC give him a chance to wake up and get the kids some breakfast.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Not according to Trent, who has absolutely nothing to say about it on its 20th anniversary. Clearly, TDS is the album that gets all the love in camp NIN (and rightfully so)..
    Just because Trent didn't post the obligatory Tweet doesn't mean he doesn't respect and love The Fragile, it's obvious he does, I remember reading him stating it as his favorite own album of his, there was a recent instagram posts of him listening to The Fragile after Vinnie passed, the official NIN-webpage openly states that it is a favorite album amongst the hardcore NIN fanbase.

Also found this line from Trent as seen on the "Ask me anything" thread off Reddit.

With the expanded lineup of Pino and the backup singers, I started reworking some older material at rehearsals and The Fragile became the most fertile place to pull from, for whatever reason (which is currently my favorite NIN album).

His favorite NIN album may be different now (this was during the Hesitation Marks era), but I doubt he would do full-on 180 on it.

The only album we can say for sure Trent has some mixed thoughts about currently is Hesitation Marks, even then he wasn't talking about the music, more like the person who made that album he could not relate to anymore.