Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
Dude, I completely agree with you. I think 808's and Heartbreaks was what turned me into a fan, I thought Graduation was good...but I wasn't as much into hip hop at the time as I am nowadays. 808's just had this Prince and late 80's pop feel to it that was so nostalgic to me that it made me really interested in him as an artist. I started going back and listening and loving his earlier stuff so by the time MBDTF came out, I was blown away. It was an accumulation of everything he had perfected previously and stomping into some new territory. Some people call it self indulgent, but that's just his music I think...and most popular hip hop in the first place...but that record was like an epic prog-rap record about how fucked up his shit is. I love it and still listen to it heavily. He has completely evolved and I love where he's at as an artist....these new songs showcase an intensity that literally gives me goosebumps every time I hear it. It'll be tough to top MBDTF but if anything he'll create another piece of work that sits comfortably next to his already outstanding accomplishments.

Like you, I just think none of his other counterparts are on his level as much...and I like a lot of different hip hop/rap. I enjoy underground kings like MF Doom, trap artists like Gucci Mane, conscious rap like Jedi Mind Tricks and so on and so on...and no one can touch Kanye for sure.
I'd had a soft spot for Kanye when College Dropout came out, and liked him then, didn't fully appreciate him until 808's came out. Hip Hop is weird to gauge now since it's not just something underground or strictly for the masses. Like rock and roll, it has different genres and niches that are evolving and coming through. So comparing different artists like Kanye to Pitbull is silly, much less Public Enemy to anyone now. IT's completely different than what it was 20 years ago and even 10 years ago. I mean there's tons of us who love Gucci Mane as much as we love The National, so it feels unfair to keep comparing one artist to another in hip hop since it's evolved.

I have high expectations for this album, I at least hope it's better than Cruel Summer.