Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: St. Vincent

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

St. Vincent

I could not find a thread for her.

When I go home to Missouri for Thanksgiving, my parents are going to lose me for a night. Just scored a front-row center balcony seat for the upcoming tour! I figured I'd do them a favor by not queueing for GA

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    so sad that no Florida dates...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I really liked what she did on the nirvana hall of fame night, I thought she was the highlight among those performers, will try to check her out live this time around.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I love New York... sounds like a simple little ditty and there are a lot of layers to it...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

This is a REALLY good song! Wasn't too excited when New York came out, but now I can't wait until the album drops

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A little worried about this next album, the same producer for Lorde and Taylor Swift produced it so that explains the pop sound, hope it's still eclectic and quirky. I've always described St Vincent as Devo meets Bowie sound but the last 2 singles...not so much. I'm going to see her in Philly

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Love it! Sugarboy is so good.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I got into St. Vincent during the release of the eponymous album in 2014. I listened to that album a lot and I really really liked her whole... deal. But that's honestly the only album I listened to. Sometimes it just works out that way - I'll listen to one or two albums from a band (see: Radiohead) and love them, but not know anything else. Or I'll really really love one or two songs (see: "Tear You Apart" by She Wants Revenge) but not be able to get into anything else by that band.

But the point is - if MASSEDUCTION is really dissimilar to her older stuff then that's a bit disappointing to hear. Because from what I've heard from the new album, everything is really fucking good. I'll be listening through it after I write this post actually. But it's incredibly timing because I'm like really into great pop music right now. I just discovered Vows by Kimbra the other day and it's fantastic. Plus Colors by Beck came out today as well so this is shaping up to be a very fucking memorable Friday the 13th.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    this album is really great. so weird.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I’m not afraid to say:

Strange Mercy > Mass Education > Actor > S/T > Marry Me

I got into St Vincent last year. I Remember when Seeing the Cruel Video but not thinking much about it. I saw the album cover for S/T when it first came out here on ETS. I asked who was that?

it wasn’t until my wife said, you need to go exercise a little more last year that I went for a run and decided to finally play the shuffle on her Spotify page. It was nuts that I let it go so long not listening to her work.

inconsumed those 4 albums last year like
    crazy. I really mean it. Like I’m such a super fan now. She went to number two in my Last.fm lol. In just a year.

some observations from this album:

- I do see what she means about scaling back the guitar shredding this album. Wasn’t ton necessary.
    - Masseduction the song reminds me of Prince and Madonna at the same time. Still a genius song.
    - I do like that she always has a song that could be an album closer for any other band not close her albums. She does this on every one of them I feel. (Slow Disco)

it it gets better with repeats. I love it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    i've only been able to listen through once so far. i'm kinda unimpressed. hopefully that changes with more listens. a lot of reviews keep talking about how she's like bowie and this album is like let's dance. not sure i agree there. like i said i havent been able to give it enough time yet, but it feels more like a queen/hot space situation to me.

i've been a huge st. vincent fan since i came across her music around the time of Actor. my fave album of hers is Strange Mercy. seen annie/the band in concert 4 or 5 times, once on the david byrne tour. always excellent live. i've heard that this tour may not have a band? not sure of the accuracy of those rumors.

I will definitely try to dig deeper and hopefully find more to like about the new record.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    This album is really catching me. It has moments thst remind me of NIN, The Beatles, and some other classic rock acts. Actually, there are parts of songs (melodies, riffs, rhythms) that seem almost directly lifted from other famous songs; however, she does manage to put her own spin on things.

I am very happy that this album just csme out of nowhere and grabbed me like this.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    MASSEDUCTION is actually quite good, and COULD be her best album. But for me, the middle three song bring an awkward lull once the album is really picking up steam. Ending the album with not one slow song but 2.5 also really releases a lot of steam as well. I guess the slow tracks are just kind of boring to me and ultimately kill the album from being my personal favorite of hers.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I saw her in Berlin today. Was quite good, but it was all by herself - without band.

Between Rattlesnake and Birth in Reverse she started singing "God is dead and no one cares. If there is a hell, I'll see you there."

But then, I thought NIN's influence on the new album was quite recognizable.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I actually like her new album the most. For now. Actor has grown incredibly on me lately. Strange Mercy fell behind. Then St. Vincent, then her debut. For Love This Giant you have to be in the mood. It can be the best or the worst album.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    That new album is really good.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Anybody like have a line on the presale code for Toronto? I haven't gotten anything from the mailing list

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    This is the only good thing that will happen today.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Supposedly she is going to release a new version of MASSEDUCTION in a couple of weeks that is just like Slow Slow Disco, where it's the entire album acoustically on piano.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08M5J3X1M

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHN1IKiAkQ2/

"To celebrate @nineinchnails’ induction to the @rockhall this week, I’ve recorded my own #AmazonOriginal version of ‘Piggy’ with Dave Grohl(!!!) on drums. This remains one of my favorite Nail’s songs to this day. Listen now on @amazonmusic- link in bio."

Looks like Amazon Music exclusive (for now)! Thanks @somewhat_ !!!

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    this is a very fine performance:

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Daddy's Home might be my least favorite St. Vincent album and that bums me the fuck out. Aside from like 3 stand-out tracks, this album just draaaaaaags like a motherfucker for me.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I'm digging the new album.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I admit it's not doing a lot for me, though I appreciate the intent. 70s rock/pop is generally a pretty hard sell for me. Sometimes it can break through, but I suspect I probably won't spin this one too often. The stylistic choice ends up taking a lot of the "edge" off her sound, and that's generally what I'm in it for -- the album's still got teeth in there, but it feels a little more under the surface, and relies on lyrics. (Lyrics generally take ages to sink it for me; nearly all my musical preferences are based entirely on sound. It's pretty rare for me to have any clue what any given song I like is even talking about.)

Still, I've had even further-afield releases worm their way into my playing cycles in the past, perhaps this'll work its way up, too. Pretty much every album of hers starting with Actor has made my internal "top 10 of the year" list, so I'm not perturbed that this one doesn't seem likely to make it.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    It's kind of feeling to me like with each new album she becomes less and less interested in playing the guitar, and that, to me, is making her music less and less interesting. Really kinda wish she would get away from working with Jack Antonoff, honestly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This isn't my favorite St. Vincent album, but it's way better than whatever Masseduction was.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Sept 3 - Portland, ME - Thompson's Point
    Sept 4 - Burlington, VT - Higher Ground
    Sept 7 - Cincinnati, OH - ICON Music Center
    Sept 8 - Pittsburgh, PA - Stage AE Indoor
    Sept 10 - Indianapolis, IN - Egyptian Room
    Sept 14 - Minneapolis, MN - The Armory
    Sept 16 - Denver, CO - Mission Ballroom
    Sept 22 - Paso Robles, CA - Vina Robles Amphitheatre
    Sept 23 - Berkeley, CA - Greek Theatre
    Sept 24 - Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Bowl

Oct 5 - Oklahoma City, OK - The Criterion
    Oct 7 - Kansas City, MO - Uptown Theater
    Oct 8 - St. Louis, MO - The Pageant
    Oct 9 - Nashville, TN - Ascend Amphitheater
    Oct 11 - Philadelphia, PA - The Met
    Oct 14 - Boston, MA - Wang Theatre
    Oct 15 - New Haven, CT - College Street Music Hall
    Oct 18 - Cleveland, OH - Agora Theatre
    Oct 20 - Detroit, MI - The Fillmore
    Oct 22 - Atlanta, GA - Shaky Knees Music Festival

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    It's kind of feeling to me like with each new album she becomes less and less interested in playing the guitar, and that, to me, is making her music less and less interesting. Really kinda wish she would get away from working with Jack Antonoff, honestly.
    I wish alot of people would lol

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Forgot that tickets for the show in Burlington, VT went on sale today. Sold out already. It's extremely rare that someone I want to see live comes up to Vermont. Sucks.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Anyone in the New England or upstate NY area interested in seeing St. Vincent at Higher Ground in Burlington, VT this upcoming Saturday? I have an extra ticket, free of cost. Proof of vaccine or negative covid test is required for entry.