Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Squarepusher

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Squarepusher

Soooooo new Squarepusher album, titled Ufabulum, is coming out in May, which is sweet. But also he has announced a tour as well, which by the looks of things will be pretty sweet as well.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    was just about to create a topic for this. Glad to see him getting back to form. That Daft-Punkish side project wasn't doing it for me, and the previous Squarepusher album just had too much bass wank. I mean, I love hearing a virtuoso rock out, and it's awesome when he goes off live, but that album was so boring. I'm ready for something heavier and more synthetic... and given that he's described this album as "very electronic... very aggressive" my hopes are up. The preview clip is definitely promising. Love the analog bass squiggles.

And it would be good to see him play some shows in the US again. It's been a LONG time. Then again, last time I saw him perform, his strobe light show was almost too much for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I personally haven't listened to much Squarepusher since Hello Everything, and that was, at times, too jazzy for me. I liked the earlier stuff like Big Loada and Hard Normal Daddy. I hope you are right about the return to form.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    I personally haven't listened to much Squarepusher since Hello Everything, and that was, at times, too jazzy for me. I liked the earlier stuff like Big Loada and Hard Normal Daddy. I hope you are right about the return to form.
    That teaser clip alone is better than anything from the last two albums he's put out. Hopes are high.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    that last album was horrid. did anyone think of Skrillex while watching that preview clip?! i know this guy has been doing his own thing long before Skrillex was even allowed to hang out at the mall

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by konstantin View Post
    that last album was horrid. did anyone think of Skrillex while watching that preview clip?! i know this guy has been doing his own thing long before Skrillex was even allowed to hang out at the mall
    some of us were listening to electronic music before 2010

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    This preview excites for the new album! Going back to gltchy syntheticness
    His last album had its moments, but wasnt spectacular
    Ultravisitor was probably his last good one

And Skrillex didnt even cross my mind....
    As soon as anyone hears glitchy bass and a half time beat, they shout Skrillex rip off... Come on already

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    As soon as anyone hears glitchy bass and a half time beat, they shout Skrillex rip off... Come on already
    Which isn't exactly a Skrillex invention, I might add. Also, the bass tone in that clip is more 303 than wobbly distorted formant bass anyway.

And I agree that Ultravisitor was his last really good album. Hello Everything had its moments (the modern bass guitar especially), but it was a little dull on the whole. I like to pretend that the stuff that came out after that doesn't exist.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Which isn't exactly a Skrillex invention, I might add. Also, the bass tone in that clip is more 303 than wobbly distorted formant bass anyway.
    Exactly! Which makes it even more annoying when people say it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    LOL. re:Skrillex, i was actually just talking about the visuals responding to the sound. but Squarepusher has been doing this for quite a while. that's all i was saying. saw the guy a few years ago and i agree that the non-stop strobe lights were an overkill. he also totally ignored what album he just released (which wasn't very good) and turned the set into a non-stop speedy d'n'b assault.

Autechre did a similar thing (ignored the album they just released) and just played a super heavy on the bass set. actually that Autechre was one my all time favorite shows. all lights were off, you can only see tiny LED lights coming from the equipment, and OMG the BASS!! the audience primarily consisted of introverted single dudes.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Well, Skrillex stole the crazy projected visuals from Amon Tobin...

Amon did it better though :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Just preordered the "LP-T" (ie. digital album in FLAC plus wicked glow-in-the-dark T-shirt) from bleep.com — excited!!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Difference between the Fucking Daddy and those other guys is that Squarepusher designs and programs his visuals all by himself.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Dark Steering:

Pre-ordered the cd+ep a while ago. Really looking forward to hearing the full album.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I had to link it again, from a non-youtube site. It's blocked on youtube for me, dunno about everyone else...

But... holy shit that song/video is sweet. I loved how aggressive it is, but also having that subtle gentle touch that got me into Squarepusher to begin with. This sounds really promising. I still couldn't help to think, after the last couple albums, a frettless bass would valmorphanize out of thin air and a dorky bass solo would ensue, luckily that wasn't the case. New/old sound all the way!
    If the handful of live shows implement LCD effects like this video, then I will definitly be seeing him in Paris. Man, I need to recheck the dates.

Oh yeah, click the HD button!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Drax 2:

This track sounds really good, I think Ufabulum will be much better than the last couple albums. Also, the album has leaked, but I think I'm going to wait for the CD to arrive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    drip drip...

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ax Mr. L View Post
    This track sounds really good, I think Ufabulum will be much better than the last couple albums. Also, the album has leaked, but I think I'm going to wait for the CD to arrive.
    Yeah, the new songs are great, but to be honest I was really disappointed with the last couple Squarepusher albums, and I really didn't like that Shobaleader project. This is a step in the right direction for sure though

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Yeah, the new songs are great, but to be honest I was really disappointed with the last couple Squarepusher albums, and I really didn't like that Shobaleader project. This is a step in the right direction for sure though
    I think that the Shobaleader is not that bad, there are at least couple tracks I really enjoy, but yeah overall it was bit of a let down. The last albums I really enjoyed are Hello Everything and Ultravisitor.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So Ufabulum came out a few days ago. What do you guys think of it?

I'm pretty disappointed to be honest.
    Last edited by exilajei; 05-17-2012 at 10:17 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I've only had the chance to hear it once, but I love what I heard... and the T-shirt it came with rules! Glow-in-the-dark arrowhead logo FTW!

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    On 13th February 2014, a new EP entitled 'Music For Robots' was announced, a collaborative project composed by Tom Jenkinson and performed by the three robots that comprise the Z-Machines.[4] Tom first started working with the team of Japanese robotocists behind the Z-Machines in 2013, who had commissioned him to write music for robots that were capable of playing beyond the capabilities of the most advanced musicians.[5] Following the success of the first piece of music, entitled 'Sad Robot Goes Funny, Tom went on to compose four more pieces for the robots which comprise the upcoming EP 'Music For Robots' due to be released on 7th April (8th in North America) 2014.[6]

I gotta say its really interesting to see where this is going. I hope its just as good as his last album.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Weeeeeee caaaaaaame toooop doooown!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    New stuff!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Sounds great! Although, The melody reminds me of Cure's Just Like Heaven.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ax Mr. L View Post
    Sounds great! Although, The melody reminds me of Cure's Just Like Heaven.
    That is a dead ringer. I immediately thought of "Just Like Heaven" during that chord progression. I knew others would notice. It doesn't sound intentional, but it's clearly there.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I'm definitely digging Damogen Furies. I'm hoping that we'll eventually get some kind of tour of how he's set up System 4.0 - apparently each track on the album was performed "live," without any editing. I'm always interested in finding out what that actually means from a UI perspective. There's a lot going on in there. But yeah, quite enjoyable.

I'd heard it described as being a close kin to Ufabulum, which I don't really agree with after a few listens. Ufabulum sounds precisely programmed to within an inch of its life, whereas this does have a feel of a human's hand at a control panel somewhere. (Or at least that's what I've been telling myself. I wonder if I'd think the same if I hadn't heard about the System 4.0 thing.) I'd also heard Damogen Furies described as being super harsh/violent/whatever, which I also don't really agree with. At least, it's no more harsh than plenty of past songs, etc.

Anyway, always nice to have more Squarepusher...

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Yeah, this new album is great. Melodic, abstract and addictive.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    i saw him live over the past weekend at Webster Hall in NYC and it was awesome!
    Here is some of footage of new tracks...