Page 72 of 131 FirstFirst ... 22 62 70 71 72 73 74 82 122 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,160 of 3920

Thread: Shitty Music. (The Nickelback Thread)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    It's the Grammys. What would anyone expect? They play everything safely. Bowie was anything but safe. I would suggest doing a simulcast concert in London and New York for what would be his 70th birthday featuring those that knew Bowie or actually know Bowie's music better than the mainstream.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Why are you facepalming me @eversonpoe ...do you seriously think a desperate careerist like Lady Gaga is on the same level as Bowie?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Kind of wished Trent played this year so we'd have an excuse to do a live ongoing thread about the show like we did a few years back. That was fun.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Lady Gaga has greater talent / vision that most of her peers... plus she's been repping Bowie since before she broke out, I thought it made perfect sense.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I have no problem with the choice of who did it. I have more of a problem with medleys like this. Like when The Who played the Super Bowl years ago.

I'm guessing the Eagles' tribute to Glenn Frey came off better.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    Why are you facepalming me @eversonpoe...do you seriously think a desperate careerist like Lady Gaga is on the same level as Bowie?
    I don't like her, but Lady Gaga is the most mainstream musician that shows an obvious Bowie influence in her music, so she was an obvious choice.

And somebody doesn't have to be on the person's level pay tribute to them. There isn't a person alive that's on David's level.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Why does it have to be her though!!! She has no talent, its all because of her style. Without the wacky fashion she sucks, Her voice is boring.

She is nowhere near the level of Bowie.
    Why are you facepalming me @eversonpoe ...do you seriously think a desperate careerist like Lady Gaga is on the same level as Bowie?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasisity View Post
    Lady Gaga has greater talent / vision that most of her peers... plus she's been repping Bowie since before she broke out, I thought it made perfect sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    I don't like her, but Lady Gaga is the most mainstream musician that shows an obvious Bowie influence in her music, so she was an obvious choice.

And somebody doesn't have to be on the person's level pay tribute to them. There isn't a person alive that's on David's level.
    style was always part of bowie's presentation, and lady gaga is on a similar plane there. also, whether you like her music or not, she DOES have a good voice, with very good range, and can convey quite a bit of emotion when she wants. she's also incredibly creative and seems to be a genuinely good person. she spoke out on eating disorders after suffering through a period of being unhealthy, she has been an advocate for queer rights, and she has used her fame to try to help people.

i'm not saying she is equivocal to david bowie in all ways, or really any way, but she is certainly closer than any of her peers, as @Tasisity said. and i think she was the perfect person to pay tribute.

also, where do you get the idea that she is a "desperate careerist" rather than someone who simply enjoys making music and pushing the boundaries of fashion?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I like Gaga and i think the Bowie tribute was "Ok" (just plain OK, nothing special either).
    I recognize her value and i believe she's a true fan of Bowie's music, i had no issue with the performance except with "Heroes", it sounded like crap in my opinion...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    OK, I think that settles the issue. If Bowie's son didn't enjoy it. Then that's the only opinion I feel that matters. Let's just hope he, Iman, and Tony Visconti will do a better tribute.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    OK, I think that settles the issue. If Bowie's son didn't enjoy it. Then that's the only opinion I feel that matters. Let's just hope he, Iman, and Tony Visconti will do a better tribute.
    If they're even planning one? I think Bowie's career speaks as a tribute in itself, personally. *shrug*

Compare Gaga's Bowie tribute to Jennifer Hudson's tribute to Whitney Houston (Whitney had died hours before this performance):

Last edited by allegro; 02-16-2016 at 02:57 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I didn't really dig her performance, it gave me 1970s variety show/Meatloaf vibes... But Bowie gave his work to the world and while Duncan is his son that doesn't necessarily make him an arbiter of who is allowed to pay tribute.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emptydesk View Post
    I didn't really dig her performance, it gave me 1970s variety show/Meatloaf vibes... But Bowie gave his work to the world and while Duncan is his son that doesn't necessarily make him an arbiter of who is allowed to pay tribute.
    No, but he certainly is allowed to poke fun at the tributes. The guy has a wicked sense of humor, for sure.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    They should have gotten Madonna to do it. She inducted Bowie into the R&RHoF:

And .
    Last edited by allegro; 02-16-2016 at 03:14 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    do you seriously think a desperate careerist like Lady Gaga is on the same level as Bowie?
    Isn't every professional musician a "careerist" by definition? It's not like David Bowie was some humble little folk singer playing coffee shop gigs once a month.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    They should have gotten Madonna to do it. She inducted Bowie into the R&RHoF:

And .

Uh.... No.....

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Uh.... No.....
    I *liked* that, it was really heart-felt, she broke down at the end, it was emotional for her. We live in such an ageist sexist society, it's too bad, really. Madonna broke a whole lot of ground, a lot of shit that we take for granted today wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Madonna and barriers she broke down in the early-80s, etc., and nobody was ever saying "that Bowie was such an old fuck" when he was in HIS 50s, but the comments in that video are just sexist and sad.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    They should have had some kind of tribute for Scott Weiland.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    They should have had some kind of tribute for Scott Weiland.
    People are also bitching that they didn't do a tribute to Maurice White from Earth Wind and Fire, and Natalie Cole.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    People are also bitching that they didn't do a tribute to Maurice White from Earth Wind and Fire, and Natalie Cole.
    They should have. Of all the recent acts that performed at the Grammys, how many will actually be remembered?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I may not be a fan of Kesha but, this is fucking bullshit.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    A court of law enforcing a company's mandate to work with someone who you alleged these things she alleged against this "doctor" fellow is some heinous stuff.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i really hope she appeals. that is horrible. i found out yesterday and immediately started crying. i don't care what her music sounds like (though i do know she can sing well when she's not auto-tuned to oblivion), no human being deserves to be forced to work with their abuser.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    New Macklemore album is a cringeworthy, overblown mess. Remind me again why this guy is a phenomenon?
    Well, he does have a really impressive "punch me" manicured haircut

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i really hope she appeals. that is horrible. i found out yesterday and immediately started crying. i don't care what her music sounds like (though i do know she can sing well when she's not auto-tuned to oblivion), no human being deserves to be forced to work with their abuser.
    No, and given the circumstances, Sony should assign a different production team to her while until she has completed her contract.

Additionally, if Dr Luke is innocent, which he repeatedly claims, I would assume that he would absolutely not want to work with her either. So, no matter who is telling the truth here, it makes no sense to pair them for future projects.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Well, he does have a really impressive "punch me" manicured haircut
    i've been told i look like him (because of my haircut) and every time i cringe before begrudgingly saying "thaaaanks..."

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    So I stumbled upon the Christian version of Limp Bizkit.

"You gotta pay the fee, 'cause my freestyles ain't free". Word.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    so since Tom Hanks' son, Chet "Haze" Hanks, is trending again, it's a good time to remember his musical contributions to the world.

Alright, that's the shittiest thing ever, and if it was believably an off-the-cuff "freestyle" it might be slightly more forgivable for lyrics like "step to me get beat down like Rodney King." Y'know, sorry, that just slipped out while I was freestyling, I didn't know what I was saying. Except this bullshit was totally written, agonized over, edited, and it was something that he thought was clever word-play because he's got to be the stupidest motherfucker on this planet, and at the very least is astonishingly lacking in self-awareness.

You are the son of Woody from Toy Story, you fucking tool. Your dad was in Big. You are Straight Outta Brentwood, you ridiculous asshole, and I don't care what drugs you're taking or how hard you think you've got it, if your dad saved Private Ryan you don't get to "spit" lyrics like "step to me get beat down like Rodney King." Every time you hear someone downplay the general concept of white male privilege, we need to bring up Chet Haze.