Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Thursday

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Thursday

I remember there being a thread for these guys wayy back but could not dig up at the moment.

Just saw them on December 27th for their 4 date leg in Brooklyn, and it was like being back in the early 2000's moshing when I told myself I wasn't going to (Instant regret the next morning). They were playing Full Collapse and War All The Time in their entirety, with me experiencing Full Collapse. Besides having a lot of attention with bringing the post-hardcore scene into the mainstream, their best work has been their more recent efforts that a lot of fans seemed to give up on. With some older/nostalgic band threads being made, this inspired me along with the show of course.

Digging back into their discography, No Devolucion and Common Existence stick out as some of the most intriguing/consistent albums that flew under the radar for a long time; even around their releases.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I went to college at Seton Hall University in NJ, and worked/still mentor at my college radio station WSOU. As such, Thursday was the soundtrack to my 20's, as they were around constantly back then. My friend Mario Comesanas of December Aeternalis & Low Road & was a DJ on Liquid Metal (RIP Mario) was friends and fans of the band & broke them at WSOU, and they are still played there all the time. WSOU still presents all their NJ shows, and some of the NYC ones too. Thursday will always be tied to memories of my younger days. Geoff and the rest of the guys are all down to earth and nice. Glad they've been doing shows the last few years, although it looks like we're gonna get an extended break from them after this current batch wraps up. I haven't had much desire to see them again during all these newer shows though. I think I got burned out on seeing them so much back in the day and grew out of their stuff a little bit. Maybe the next run.

You can see our logo throughout the Understanding in a Car Crash video...their first "hit":

Last edited by bobbie solo; 01-02-2019 at 01:27 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    ^^^ i saw that video on mtv2 one day at the end of 8th grade (right after it came out) and i was instantly hooked. first band i got into with that sort of screaming. they definitely inspired a TON of the music i made starting in high school and i can still hear their influence on stuff i make today. Full Collapse is still one of my favorite albums of all time (i own the limited numbered pressing on vinyl). they had other great stuff after that but nothing ever topped it for me. never got to see them live, sadly.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Loved this band since I bought Five Stories Falling on a whim at a Long Island Best Buy. Though I certainly like some more than others, they in no way released a bad album.
    @eversonpoe The only time I saw them was at Curiosa in 2003 or 2004. I was laying in the grass by the main stage and heard Thursday from a distance, assuming it was being played over the PA. But, after the song stopped, there was applause. I rushed over to the second stage and watched them play about 3/4 of a song and that was the end of their set. I would have rather not seen them at all.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    Full Collapse is still one of my favorite albums of all time (i own the limited numbered pressing on vinyl). they had other great stuff after that but nothing ever topped it for me.
    I agree Full Collapse is amazing and their best, but War All The Time is a close second in my opinion.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    Loved this band since I bought Five Stories Falling on a whim at a Long Island Best Buy. Though I certainly like some more than others, they in no way released a bad album.
    @eversonpoe The only time I saw them was at Curiosa in 2003 or 2004. I was laying in the grass by the main stage and heard Thursday from a distance, assuming it was being played over the PA. But, after the song stopped, there was applause. I rushed over to the second stage and watched them play about 3/4 of a song and that was the end of their set. I would have rather not seen them at all.
    oh holy fucking shit i forgot they played at Curiosa...does that mean i saw them and don't remember? that whole day was kind of a blur for me because i was an emotional wreck but still drove all the way out for the show. i was bummed that i didn't get to see muse (i believe one of the members had sprained his wrist or something?) but it was my first time seeing mogwai and i was entranced during their set, despite the shitty venue.

Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    I agree Full Collapse is amazing and their best, but War All The Time is a close second in my opinion.
    totally agree! and i really like a city by the light divided but i feel like it could have done with a different track order.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    and i really like a city by the light divided but i feel like it could have done with a different track order.
    I always forget about this album, and I actually adore it. Common Existence I would say is my favorite from them; it is just too dam consistent and the guitar work is fucking amazing on it. Full Collapse will always be my favorite nostalgia feel from them, but their more recent work I believe is far superior.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Pulling this thread from way back in the day, as the band has just completed a tour and vaguely announced a new release on their Facebook page: "The coming weeks may or may not see a slight expansion to our discography!!!!!"

I think it could be one of several things:
    1) Brand new album
    2) New album of re-imagined versions of old songs (they did a couple during live streamed concerts during the pandemic)
    3) Studio recordings of their three live stream concerts (Signals versions 1, 2, and 3)

Whatever it is, I'm excited for further announcements. These guys have been one of my favorites for 20+ years.

Geoff Rickly also gave an interview recently and said No Devotion (his side project with the non-pedophile members of Lost Prophets) has an album just about ready to release this year as well.

Anyone a fan from back in the day and/or still listening?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I listen to Thursday at least once a week in some form. I recently sat down with No Devolución to really soak it in again since it first released and it is by far their best effort. Common Existence was in my top spot for a minute, but Devol just feels very cohesive (Even if Millimeter sounds completely out of place and a huge momentum killer) the album is so well thought out.

I was actually hoping for the new No Devotion album to finally come out before any new Thursday material but still stoked to see what they will release. I'd love a few new tracks attached to a live album or DVD.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    I listen to Thursday at least once a week in some form. I recently sat down with No Devolución to really soak it in again since it first released and it is by far their best effort. Common Existence was in my top spot for a minute, but Devol just feels very cohesive (Even if Millimeter sounds completely out of place and a huge momentum killer) the album is so well thought out.

I was actually hoping for the new No Devotion album to finally come out before any new Thursday material but still stoked to see what they will release. I'd love a few new tracks attached to a live album or DVD.
    The bonus tracks for the digital version of Common Existence are some of my favorite of theirs. "The Worst Vow" and "Common Existence" should have been on the actual album.

Did you see their live stream concert where they played all of No Devolucion, start to finish?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    "Cross Out the Eyes" is still the most insane track I have seen live... period. They were DRENCHED after it, just amazing.

I just checked that No Devotion disc out a few weeks ago. How did that one fly under my radar? It's great!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fifey View Post
    The bonus tracks for the digital version of Common Existence are some of my favorite of theirs. "The Worst Vow" and "Common Existence" should have been on the actual album.

Did you see their live stream concert where they played all of No Devolucion, start to finish?
    I didn't! And I hate that I had to work for that. I caught their first streamed concert and it was fucking fantastic. I saw them live when they did the Full Collapse tour and they threw in Stay True for the encore and almost no one knew it, but the crowd definitely enjoyed it; it was epic.

They ended with Jet Black New Year and turned the place upside down .

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I didn't! And I hate that I had to work for that. I caught their first streamed concert and it was fucking fantastic. I saw them live when they did the Full Collapse tour and they threw in Stay True for the encore and almost no one knew it, but the crowd definitely enjoyed it; it was epic.

They ended with Jet Black New Year and turned the place upside down .
    Well, if they don't release it in the coming weeks, I recorded the livestream and saved the video. I could dropbox it to you. They did some of it live, but clearly Stay True was recorded based on some surprise camera cuts (I don't want to spoil it!)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fifey View Post
    Well, if they don't release it in the coming weeks, I recorded the livestream and saved the video. I could dropbox it to you. They did some of it live, but clearly Stay True was recorded based on some surprise camera cuts (I don't want to spoil it!)
    Sorry, just seeing this! I'd be interested for sure, message me!

Hah! They're releasing the batch of shows they did for the Full Collapse tour I attended!
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 04-14-2022 at 01:09 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    So that didn't work out... All the varients sold out within one minute, but I was able to grab the Waiting LP from the original 1,000 limited pressing! I honestly would rather have this than the live album; what a steal.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    So that didn't work out... All the varients sold out within one minute, but I was able to grab the Waiting LP from the original 1,000 limited pressing! I honestly would rather have this than the live album; what a steal.
    I was able to get the all white varient. The others disappeared from my cart when I went to enter payment. The live album is going up on streaming services this weekend. I got a digital copy with my order. It's a GREAT recording.

Rumor is next up is a live War All of the Time release based on a picture they posted on instagram.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    No Devotion is extremely close to releasing new music and I cannot wait for this.

Small snippet, but it sounds great.