Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian Politics

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    1.) Not sure why this is news
    2.) Not sure why this article mentions twice that Mike Tyson is a convicted the rapist.

http://www.citynews.ca/2014/09/09/ma...-at-city-hall/

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    1.) Not sure why this is news
    2.) Not sure why this article mentions twice that Mike Tyson is a convicted the rapist.

http://www.citynews.ca/2014/09/09/ma...-at-city-hall/
    shut up.

Well so much for this dream. Soknacki dropping out

http://www.citynews.ca/2014/09/09/da...f-mayors-race/

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    My thoughts here.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    My thoughts here.
    With Ford having a tumor and possibly having to drop out of the race, would it be possible for Soknacki to jump back in the race? I don't really know the rules surrounding that.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    No, his decision was final. I was in the room when he announced he would drop out and he made that quite clear.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    No, his decision was final. I was in the room when he announced he would drop out and he made that quite clear.
    That's too bad. I know absolutely nothing about the Toronto mayor thing other than it's Ford v.s non-Ford. Say, if Ford drops out and a big chunk of the electorate has to choose between the other candidates, who do you think has the best chance in winning? Kinda big question, just wondering and you are probably the closest source to Toronto I have lol

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    That's too bad. I know absolutely nothing about the Toronto mayor thing other than it's Ford v.s non-Ford. Say, if Ford drops out and a big chunk of the electorate has to choose between the other candidates, who do you think has the best chance in winning? Kinda big question, just wondering and you are probably the closest source to Toronto I have lol
    http://www.citynews.ca/2014/09/12/ro...-mayoral-race/

Well Ford is out. Not sure if that means that Doug Ford can't jump in, although that thug doesnt have the charisma of his little brother.

Now it's between Tory and Chow.... that's like choosing if Id rather drink crab juice or puddle water.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    http://www.citynews.ca/2014/09/12/ro...-mayoral-race/

Well Ford is out. Not sure if that means that Doug Ford can't jump in, although that thug doesnt have the charisma of his little brother.

Now it's between Tory and Chow.... that's like choosing if Id rather drink crab juice or puddle water.
    Wow, that's crazy how much the election has changed in just a few days. I can't stand Ford as a person but hope he fights the tumor.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Is Doug as popular as Rob with Ford Nation?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Is Doug as popular as Rob with Ford Nation?

This is to be seen but as I said before, Doug doesn't have the likability or charisma that his brother has... you know when it comes to "the people" and returning phone calls or whatever he says he does. Personally I don't think he stands much of a chance. Then again no one thought Rob stood a chance last election.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Rob's nephew Mikey has withdrawn his nomination for Ward 2 councillor so that Rob can still run for his old seat on council. It's a desperate, cynical move. I'm excited to not have this awful man as our Mayor after Oct. 27, but we're not rid of him just yet.

Meanwhile, the plan in Ottawa is to turn our country into "a compliant resource colony" of Chinese jurisdiction.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Meanwhile, the plan in Ottawa is to turn our country into "a compliant resource colony" of Chinese jurisdiction.

Had to sell Canada's energy off to someone. I mean it's not like Obama wants to deal with us.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Had to sell Canada's energy off to someone. I mean it's not like Obama wants to deal with us.
    It's not the fact they are selling the energy, but the way the federal gov has gone about doing so.

Thoooough, I would argue selling the energy in the first place is unethical. Fuck the oil sands.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cana...ct-1-1.2764075
    More on the treaty
    Last edited by icecream; 09-12-2014 at 02:10 PM.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    We are locked into this deal now for the next THIRTY-ONE YEARS. Never mind that it's still being challenged in court by our First Nations leaders; now that it's ratified China owns our asses. Forget due process, forget democracy. Think anyone will even care enough to vote out the Harper Conservatives?
    Last edited by botley; 09-13-2014 at 01:23 AM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    We might as well just become part of China at this point, burn our Canadian flags and put up Chinese ones... ugh.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I'll only be fifty two when it expires...

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    The FIPA treaty with China is pretty bad indeed. Problem is that a majority of votes are low-informed voters and are probably unaware of what's going on with this because it doesn't affect their day-to-day routine.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/how-do...dacy-1.2764918

Don't know how useful this is for people living in Toronto, but as someone who knows very little about Doug Ford it was pretty interesting.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Rob Ford diagnosed with "rare" malignant tumor in abdomen.

Given his general physical condition (drugs, alcohol), I don't know how much of a fight he can put up.
    Best of luck to him and his family.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Rob Ford diagnosed with "rare" malignant tumor in abdomen.

Given his general physical condition (drugs, alcohol), I don't know how much of a fight he can put up.
    Best of luck to him and his family.
    Either he lives or hes doesn't. Either way, this right wing populist attitude seems to be growing in Canadian politics.

With the NDP trying to bring out the 15$ an hour for a federal minimum wage, I hope that brings more people to the social democratic side of politics. So what, I lean to the left, to the point of falling over to my left side. People in B.C, and I assume the rest of Canada, deserve more than what's provided. Canadian social services have fallen way behind what would be American or another nation. I want to go full Nordic.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Either he lives or hes doesn't. Either way, this right wing populist attitude seems to be growing in Canadian politics.

With the NDP trying to bring out the 15$ an hour for a federal minimum wage, I hope that brings more people to the social democratic side of politics. So what, I lean to the left, to the point of falling over to my left side. People in B.C, and I assume the rest of Canada, deserve more than what's provided. Canadian social services have fallen way behind what would be American or another nation. I want to go full Nordic.
    It's all part of the Torries strategy.
    - Cut in every social programs on the federal to a point where services are lacking everywhere.
    - Announce a budget surplus
    - Run you next elections on lowering taxes for the middle class

As far as I am concerned, it's not how you should run a country but that's just me. I've always been leaning left from the center.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Fiscally conservative policy is fine by me. I just wish the PMO wasn't operating by diktat and usurping Parliament's rights.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    There's a difference between being fiscally responsible and butchering services provided by the government to achieve same goal. Budget surplus can be obtained by increasing revenues and cutting expenses. You can balance both nicely.
    Just take the cuts made in CBC/Radio-Canada which led to over 650 people losing their jobs. In fact, the Torries have butchered CBC/Radio-Canada to a point where some are questioning it's existence in the near future.
    Like I said, it's too easy to cut everything and then promise a tax cut just before the elections.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    To be fair, the CBC was becoming increasingly irrelevant in many departments. I would mourn completely losing it, particularly the excellent radio news and current events programming, but now that Sportsnet owns broadcast rights to NHL hockey, they are struggling to find other ways of staying on peoples' radar.

Far worse, under the banner of "butchering services" that are actually prudent to keep, is this government's treatment of environmental research programs, especially the abhorrent practice of muzzling government-funded scientists from speaking to the media about their work.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Far worse, under the banner of "butchering services" that are actually prudent to keep, is this government's treatment of environmental research programs, especially the abhorrent practice of muzzling government-funded scientists from speaking to the media about their work.
    Shit like this really pisses me off: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...reat-1.2769777

Can't be anti-pipeline anymore without the risk of being deemed a terror threat. It's almost worse here than in the States.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    More on the devastating FIPA ratification from Elizabeth May.

https://soundcloud.com/cbcvictoria/e...is-raising-the
    Last edited by botley; 10-27-2015 at 02:42 PM.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Downtown Toronto as a ward bloc will vote for Olivia Chow as Mayor on Oct. 27, that is my "gee I wonder how'd he figure that out" prediction. Unfortunately, I have no idea if their votes count for anything against the polling numbers still making headlines in Ford-landia (when I last heard, Chow's numbers had tanked in Scarborough, whereas Ford Nation is relatively unswayed by Tory's capable glad-handing), but I'm calling it on her behalf for the most "downtown" of us, in terms of Ward locations pretty much everywhere from below St. Clair West village -- which is not a Disaster, but a little city in itself, just needing a little help with its growing pains into some possible future upgrades with the nearby new Crosstown LRT line creating development.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that although it may look all Olivia Red on the map downtown after election day, it's still Ford Blue out the 'burbs and they have the numbers to beat us. So, Ford More Years? Or maybe Doug Ford'll behave well and poll high enough to split the support of Tory, who's currently leading, maybe even enough to sink them both below Olivia (who can't sink much lower before actually bleeding out diehards into the Tory camp). So this will be a nailbiter.

A slightly less worrying race, but one no less interesting, is shaping up against TDSB trustee Sheila Ward. Her embarrassing discretionary spending antics spilled all over the headlines last week and she never responded to my e-mail about that $2,000 the Toronto Star reported she spent on her assistant's training program for website-building tools that are supposedly open-sourced. Public schools are being squeezed out of the downtown core because of this loony bin that is the education file. The various education boards are the third-biggest item (second to the transit and police files) that the city's voters supposedly control. Yet you can't raise kids down here anymore, unless you're rich, because the public schools are in rotting, collapsing buildings sitting atop very valuable public land. Chris Moise, endorsed by Kristin Wong-Tam for an area encompassing both her ward and my ward's councillor's, is running against the incumbant Ward. It's a huge bell-weather race, and I hope people wake up to it.
    Last edited by botley; 09-22-2014 at 09:03 AM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Would it be best if the greater Toronto region were split? Downtown having its own mayor and council while the suburbs do their own thing?

The Greens were the only party to vote against C-41 today.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    So we're officially at war. We're sending 6 CF-18 for 6 months (for now). No boots on the ground (for now).
    Harper wouldn't tell the costs of the mission.
    Thank god we can fill this huge military gap left by other nations with our high-tech top of the line CF-18.

I still think this isn't our war to fight but whatever. I guess we need to help cleanup other people's mess.
    Never thought I'd say that but I miss Chrétien. Made the right decision back in 2003 not to get involved.