Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian Politics

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    I'll be paying attention to the election in Calgary from Ontario so i can laugh at Kevin J Jerkwad barely registering as a blip on the radar.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I wish The Hat had a ward system in place, but alas.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    So... yeah.

This all fucking sucks.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    So... yeah.

This all fucking sucks.
    Come on man, we made it this far without discussing our large-scale national embarrassment on here......it's got to be almost over, please, delete the post so we can pretend it never happened!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I took a walk around Queen's Park last weekend to take a closer look at the protest. Bloor and Avenue Road felt like some sort of bizarre tail gate party.

The incredible thing was and is that you have these lunkheads yelling "freedom!" into the abyss as Doug Ford is in the process of loosening all the restrictions around Covid in Ontario.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Yeah, and Alberta and Saskatchewan are already there. This is a protest about nothing, it's just an excuse for conspiracy theory-prone white supremacists to meet up IRL and harass the rest of us.

EDIT: To clarify. Not saying that everybody's issues with the way our governments and bureaucracies at ALL LEVELS have handled this pandemic are made-up and nonsensical. Clearly, there are problems with a one-size-fits-all approach, and people are fed up with being asked to make sacrifices in a top-down way. But the response is WAY out of proportion to those issues. This is some first-world-problem shit. And it's a bad look giving the people who shout loudest, block trade routes, and honk their horns all night in the downtown core of a major city the platform we've given them (even setting aside the issue of where the funding for all this is pouring from, ahem). This isn't about people on the traditional map of Canadian politics. My dad is a dyed-in-the-wool red Tory, card-carrying OPC party member, and even he has said to me "we've lost the narrative, and the inmates are taking over the asylum". It's bleak to think about what comes next.
    Last edited by botley; 02-10-2022 at 12:54 PM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Things are seriously impolite in Ottawa~!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    Things are seriously impolite in Ottawa~!
    Thanks I hate it

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

...and this is on top of the US saying, "Hey bud, if you want, you know we could... take care of this problem for you." and Ford declaring a state of emergency in Ontario.
    Last edited by MrLobster; 02-11-2022 at 05:01 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

...and this is on top of the US saying, "Hey bud, if you want, you know we could... take care of this problem for you." and Ford declaring a state of emergency in Ontario.
    If they were Indigenous protestors blocking downtown streets and border crossings, this would have on day one been widely regarded as an insurrection by mainstream news, and the RCMP would've rolled in with combat gear strapped on. This country is lousy with far-right white supremacy groups seeping into organizations based around online conspiracy chatter... it's been brewing for a long time and has come up to a boil throughout the pandemic, with fringe political groups like the PPC and Albertan Separatist parties gradually getting larger. But this is an inflection point: how much more insane and out of control does it get before the rest of us stand up and say "gtfo"?
    Last edited by botley; 02-11-2022 at 06:27 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    how much more insane and out of control does it get before the rest of us stand up and say "gtfo"?
    You know I live in Alberta, right? So, no, those racist, separatist don't reflect all of Alberta by a long fucking shot... (othering and generalizations kill, so maybe take a breath instead of adding more hatred...).

I live within a block of pro-COVID parades weekly and it attendance at them is fairly low (you can even watch it on a live stream cam on one of the buildings overseeing a street the march down).

It's no more fair to say that those fuckers represent the majority of Albertans than to say that all of Quebec wants to separate.

Never confuse the geography with the politics...
    (yeah, it's been on my mind a lot)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    You know I live in Alberta, right? So, no, those racist, separatist don't reflect all of Alberta by a long fucking shot... (othering and generalizations kill, so maybe take a breath instead of adding more hatred...).

I live within a block of pro-COVID parades weekly and it attendance at them is fairly low (you can even watch it on a live stream cam on one of the buildings overseeing a street the march down).

It's no more fair to say that those fuckers represent the majority of Albertans than to say that all of Quebec wants to separate.

Never confuse the geography with the politics...
    (yeah, it's been on my mind a lot)
    Yes, let's take a breath, here. I didn't say this was all coming from Alberta or even from Alberta Seperatists. The roots of this shit are all over the country. There is lots of support coming from Eastern provinces like Ontario, too. It goes back to our foundation as a white supremacist manifest-destiny colony of the British. We need to STOP tolerating white supremacy and the far-right fringe that cozies up to it, not kick provinces out of the damn country. Be honest about who these people are and what they will do to Canada if we cede more power to them.

There are not 'good people on both sides', there is a small minority of idiocy connecting online across the geography and emboldened now to show their numbers in public.
    Last edited by botley; 02-12-2022 at 05:31 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    This thread, omg:

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    OMG @allegro I'm laughing so hard I just peed myself!

Also: little Tintin wants to be like Daddy but doesn't have the balls to go all the way. Then again, Daddy was a world class asshole.

History lesson: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_Crisis

I do have vague memories of this.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    OMG @allegro I'm laughing so hard I just peed myself
    https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...ranch-1297926/

When reached by phone, MacDonald, a Toronto-based recording artist, says “Ram Ranch” was inspired in part by Rodin’s Thinker and in part by a Nashville radio station rejecting his LGBTQ-themed country songs. “It was to get back at the homophobia of Nashville. That was the whole foundation,” he says.

After it first went viral in 2016, someone on Discord requested he do a sequel. “At first, I was like, that’s like Pink Floyd putting out Dark Side of the Moon 2,” he says. “But I figured if George Lucas can put out Star Wars 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7, I can put out ‘Ram Ranch 2.'” In total, he has now written 541 versions of “Ram Ranch” (including one recorded in his condo just yesterday afternoon), as well as songs titled “Cum God” and “Prince Harry’s 12-Inch Cock.”

MacDonald says he found out about the new life his song was taking on when his nephew texted to say people were playing it in Ottawa. “I kept saying, ‘Oh my God, I hope it’s not the truckers,'” he says. He has since seen streams of “Ram Ranch” on Spotify climb to the few hundred thousands. “I’m just elated, totally elated that my song could be used to stand up for science,” he says.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    And now, a statement from Ricky LaFleur's cousin, an Ottawa resident:

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I have it on good authority that Justin Trudeau had the army build internment camps up in Timmins for the unvaccinated.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    That rubber ducky, though.

And fuck those assholes who are using their kids as human shields. I hope they go to prison and lose custody.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    If you think that image is at all appropriate to describe what's going on... you're simply wrong. Even as a joke.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Canada is such a beautiful country. I hate to see this happen. Personally, while I'm left-oriented, I don't think Trudeau is handling this well. Calling people names doesn't help.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diptych View Post
    Canada is such a beautiful country. I hate to see this happen. Personally, while I'm left-oriented, I don't think Trudeau is handling this well. Calling people names doesn't help.
    He should have clamped down on them sooner. He let it go on for far too long.

Some people say he didn't want to give those screaming "tyranny" any ammunition, but it doesn't matter if you give it to them or not. If you don't give it to them, they just make it up.

Just as an example, that "Mooselini" bullshit has been around pretty much since he won his first election. The crazies on the right have been circulating that shit for years. It's just getting attention now, because we're giving the Flu Klux Klan attention in the news. It's not new, they've been saying this shit long before the pandemic started.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M1ke View Post
    He should have clamped down on them sooner. He let it go on for far too long.

Some people say he didn't want to give those screaming "tyranny" any ammunition, but it doesn't matter if you give it to them or not. If you don't give it to them, they just make it up.

Just as an example, that "Mooselini" bullshit has been around pretty much since he won his first election. The crazies on the right have been circulating that shit for years. It's just getting attention now, because we're giving the Flu Klux Klan attention in the news. It's not new, they've been saying this shit long before the pandemic started.
    Okay, but also, Trudeau is literally suspending civil liberties (with the assistance of the NDP) under flimsy pretense.
    Last edited by botley; 02-19-2022 at 03:49 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Okay, but also, Trudeau is literally suspending civil liberties (with the assistance of the NDP) under flimsy pretense.
    I'd say that what's happening easily meets points a, b and d from that article pretty clearly.

I hear the argument that they're making about the use of these power setting a precedent that would allow it to be used against any protest, but they already use the same amount of force whenever an indigenous group sets up a protest/blockade. They just don't wait weeks for the prime minister to step in before they do it.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Things that would not have been necessary if the province(s) would have done something to stop them weeks earlier... but instead we get Ford saying things like "I’ve worked on a plan for weeks and was hours away from ending this protest but the federal government jumped ahead of my team” which, uhm... even if true was long overdue.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    And just for fun, you can always listen to one of their Zello channels via intercepted audio (YouTube Playlist via 2600)....

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Maybe this is a fucked up way of looking at things, but the pandemic has made it very clear to me that laws don't count if you're white, and they fucking need to.

When I go to the store, the unmasked idiots are always entitled fucking white people. And nobody does fuck all. The declare themselves exempt from the law, and that magically fucking works.

And, yeah, the existing laws should be enough to shut this fucking down, but it wasn't fucking happening. And it goddamn needed to.

It's about fucking time that the law started applying to white people too.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I recommend everyone have a look at Kurt Phillips' twitter timeline, he's been following this entire shitshow and collecting all kinds of content in daily threads.

He's a board member over at https://www.antihate.ca/

https://twitter.com/ARCCollective

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I'd say that what's happening easily meets points a, b and d from that article pretty clearly.

I hear the argument that they're making about the use of these power setting a precedent that would allow it to be used against any protest, but they already use the same amount of force whenever an indigenous group sets up a protest/blockade. They just don't wait weeks for the prime minister to step in before they do it.
    Yes, we know re: Indigenous-led protest and policing. But also: the Government of Canada is now normalizing the use of powers that it has never deployed before. Further to the above link, this expanded version breaks down how the Convoy fails to meet any thresholds for invoking the Emergencies Act. What we've seen before at the G20 Summit in Toronto leading to mass incarceration of protesters, the Wet'suwet'en land defenders' rights being trampled, the Fairy Creek Blockade crackdown, etc. etc. etc. — are all just a further escalation each time. This latest round is Canada's government fighting a fascist-leaning populist uprising with even more fascist authoritarianism.

When Trudeau's dad invoked an earlier form of emergency "War Measures" legal suspension of civil rights, he didn't quash The Spirit of 1970. He emboldened and pushed it into a 30+ year mainstream political movement for separatism based on identity politics. That has metastasized into something much uglier, now, and the genie isn't going back in the bottle because we rounded up the truck drivers and cut off their lines of credit. If they win this power democratically, they're going to use it too.

Maybe this is a fucked up way of looking at things, but the pandemic has made it very clear to me that laws don't count if you're white, and they fucking need to.
    As usual the Beaverton nails it. https://www.thebeaverton.com/2022/02...unatic-fringe/
    Last edited by botley; 02-19-2022 at 07:31 PM.