Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Canadian Politics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    If it's done with respect instead of by rote, it DOES make a difference. Any land acknowledgement should be an opportunity to re-frame our current role in history as one of stewardship, not ownership. Sure, that alone does nothing to actually improve the lot of people living with the lasting impact of genocide and ongoing racist policy. But we have to be AWARE of that history and its ongoing impact today, right?

But yeah, I agree to an extent in that most settler institutions do the bare minimum to make themselves feel good and then think that's enough.
    I think it's too much of a middle finger... we aknowledge you, bit those pipelines... sorry honey, still happening.

We are dettached from it, it doesn't affect our day to day lives, but for those living it every day it must be very upsetting and frustrating.

I hope it leads to greater change and an improvement in policies, but I'm not expecting much.

Hurray for women though, Trudeau is all for feminism.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    But there has definitely been an imbalance at work, at all levels; that's what the root problem is: settlers putting themselves at the centre of every conversation, every decision, without thinking of the impact it has on people who lived here for thousands or maybe hundreds of thousands of years. You have to start by listening to and acknowledging those people FIRST and then respect their traditions and history. They voted for Trudeau's Liberals in droves, with the expectation that this would lead to change in attitude and governance. I'm still hopeful although it has been very slow. The limp reception for the Canada 150th celebrations gave me hope that most of us are ready to leave behind the pomp and bullshit for something better.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I personally don't think that Trudeau's leadership is going to do anything. The inquest into the missing and murdered indigenous women became of mess rather quickly. He just split the Indigenous and Northern affairs into 2 departments as if a larger government bureaucracy is going to tackle the issues at hand. I will give him some credit for planning to finally get rid of the Indian Act and get Ottawa out of the centre of every decision... but we have to wait and see how that goes.

I do agree with you. There are many serious problems that are facing this population but I feel that things like changing names of schools and siccing the government on a star trek fan with a vanity license plate has got more to do with virtue signalling than getting to the roots of said problems.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Politics IS virtue signaling. They are one and the same thing.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I think virtue signaling is a part of politics and an even larger part of being political but surely there is more to governing a state than that.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Conservatives are trying to convince people that new legislation to prevent income sprinkling is going to kill small businesses.

I live in a riding that elected a homophobic teenager to our provincial parliament, and the stupid is already starting to leak out.

Politics are depressing, but at least we're not Americans.