Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian Politics

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Everyone is so thrilled to have Harper out.... so now that a school teacher/ college drop out is PM things are going to get interesting. Luckily they have a majority gov't so hopefully he gets to surrounds him self with some smart people.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Going to be interesting for the next few years. I wonder how much of the campaign promises the Liberals will follow through with now they have a large majority. I don't expect them to be as progressive as the campaign was but it's a lot better than what we had before. Also, several prominent MPs from both the Conservatives and NDP lost their seats. I wonder who will rise up now in those parties.

Trudeau has two degrees. I don't think that constitutes as a college dropout. Also, I'd rather have more politicians from other walks of life, (school teacher) than more fucking lawyers.
    Last edited by icecream; 10-20-2015 at 02:09 PM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    While not an ideal choice to lead, I think the main mission was to get Stephen Harper the fuck out of there and into retirement. I'd say we did what we set out to accomplish. Now that he's out of the political spectrum, we just need to get through 4 years of Trudeau and then we can vote in the Government we actually wanted this election.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    What I am saying is that he has very little experience in what appears to be anything. He taught French and Math for a few years, tried to go to engineering school and dropped out. I wish him all the best.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Harper had to go. The rest of the world was noticing the mean-spiritedness and dictatorial style. People were talking.

And that was foolish. Canada's economic performance during (I won't say under) a Conservative government has remained very good. Canadians enjoy some of the highest quality of life in the world. Harper could have coasted, but instead he decided to pick fights on weird issues like the niqab.

So partly this is so long Harper. It's partly just "throw the bums out", which happens eventually no matter what because the population gets bored.

I expect there will be a small adjustment back towards a kinder, gentler Canada, and things will go on much as they have done.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I think the Liberals will do a good job. My only concern is we haven't seen how they will govern, yet they have been trusted with a majority. The NDP were pretty spineless this time around. As a progressive, it's kinda weird to support the Liberal party on more issues than the NDP. Aside from the Liberal support of C-51, most of their platform I could agree with. I think the NDP's potential budget as the governing party would have been brutal for it to have been balanced, as promised. I supported the NDP before but I didn't leave the NDP, the NDP left me so I supported and voted Green this election.

As for Trudeau, he has been born and raised in politics. No one else could be better suited for the job. Mulcaire went from a centre-right provincial politician to becoming the leader of the centre-left party federally. That isn't right, it shouldn't be that surprising the traditional choice of Canadian voters won as opposed to a party that hasn't held government with a leader many would view untrustworthy.

And in response to Canada's economy under the Conservatives. Canada was able to get through the great recession mostly in part to previous governments regulations. Those long term cycles in the economy aren't because of the current governing party. Macroeconomics takes places over years. To say it was because of the Conservatives is inherently wrong. Canada's economy was able to be relatively stable because of policy we had in place from years past.

When talking about Trudeau, I'm not trying to come across as I know everything about him and a huge supporter. I had my doubts and bought into the campaign against him as being inexperienced and not worthy. I even have a post or two here earlier about that. But reading more about him and seeing how he ran this campaign has really changed my mind about him.
    Last edited by icecream; 10-21-2015 at 03:37 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    It's SO weird seeing another Trudeau as PM. I grew up during the first one, and my Mom is totally fascinated by this, glued to the TV; "LOOK! That's Pierre's son!!"

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    I remember seeing him give the eulogy on live TV at his father's funeral in 2000, and thinking "someday soon he may follow in his father's footsteps". Well, here we are!

Anyway, Sophie Gregoire-Trudeau is his wife and she is also amazing:

https://www.facebook.com/CTVNews/vid...0724256636167/
    Last edited by botley; 11-07-2015 at 09:09 AM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    i voted green, as i always do. am glad emay kept her seat but was royally bummed that she was it. if the libs put proportional representation into play, the greens will surge in the next election.
    may he dump c51 and tpp.
    may he be real and true about his promises to first nations.

and: BYE HARPER. BYE BYE BYE.

woo hoo.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Glad to see Harper gone but for some of us Québécois, Justin Trudeau's father was the Antichrist. Still, the guy deserve a chance and I'm willing to give it to him.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Glad to see Harper gone but for some of us Québécois, Justin Trudeau's father was the Antichrist. Still, the guy deserve a chance and I'm willing to give it to him.
    It was a different time; I still have mental images of Margaret at Studio 54 with Andy Warhol.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    It was a different time; I still have mental images of Margaret at Studio 54 with Andy Warhol.
    It was indeed. However our strong disliking of PET started early and things went downhill from there.

The province of Québec's motto is Je me souviens (I remember). And we do remember.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I have mixed feeling about the result.

I was torn between voting liberal or ndp this time around, and would have been exceedingly happy with either one of them forming a minority government.

With a minority one leader could have easily kept the other in check a bit. I'm a little worried that Tredeau may go a little too far with things in a majority, buy I guess we'll have 4 years of watching to see what he does.

Either way though, glad to be rid of Harper. This is undoubtedly a step in the right direction.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    You might be interested to read this.
    Last edited by Timinator; 10-22-2015 at 03:06 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timinator View Post
    Wow, that's interesting. I guess we liked her way more than you guys did. We thought she was hot. And a lot of NYC was / is just like her and accepted her.

She came to NYC to find freedom, and what better place to find it?
    Last edited by allegro; 10-22-2015 at 03:44 PM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timinator View Post
    Very good article. Are you a Canadian living in Australia?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    Very good article. Are you a Canadian living in Australia?
    That I am.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    I was in Toronto the day after elections and you never would have known there was one. Down here, the losers would still be shedding tears.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    I was in Toronto the day after elections and you never would have known there was one. Down here, the losers would still be shedding tears.
    Hmm. Well, the 'losers' (if you want to call the incumbent Conservative governing party that... although they still came in second place, and are consequently back to Official Opposition status) didn't ever have much support in downtown Toronto. But, seeing as all four national parties ran candidates in Toronto, and only one of those parties swept every seat in the whole city, there were a lot of disappointed NDP and Green supporters here too. But they're probably more relieved on balance that the Conservatives are out of power, and hoping that Trudeau might keep his promise to reform our electoral system to make it easier for us also-rans to win better representation in Parliament.
    Last edited by botley; 10-27-2015 at 12:12 PM.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Prof. Bothwell, of my alma mater Trinity College, lays out his analysis of the election from a historical perspective. Great Tolkien reference.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I only found out about this last week though the council decision happened over a year ago.

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hal...city_plan.html

Toronto has been deemed a Sanctuary City? And the point of this is to offer municipal services to illegals without the fear that they will be reported to immigration? Apparently a number of US cities have adopted this stance which to me sounds a little insane... as a tax payer at least.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Ex-Minister and now journalist Jean Lapierre along with his wife, sister, two brothers and aunt died in a plane crash in route to his father's funeral at Iles-De-La-Madelaine.

Such a tragedy.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    https://marknesop.wordpress.com/2016...ing/#more-3737

i hope nobody minds me posting these here...he is canadian, and i believe what he shares is important to canadians...however, if folks feel it should be elsewhere...please do let me know.

i really enjoy the comments on his blogs, too. illuminating.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Looks like they are gonna change our national anthem for a more "gender neutral".
    The lyrics "in all thy sons command" would be replaced by "in all of us command."

Yeah ... we've reached that point.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/liber...ding-1.2924235

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Looks like they are gonna change our national anthem for a more "gender neutral".
    The lyrics "in all thy sons command" would be replaced by "in all of us command."

Yeah ... we've reached that point.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/liber...ding-1.2924235

Part of the reasoning being that this dude is gonna die soon and he really wants to live to see his bill passed through.

In other news. No more Pride Week... we now have Pride Month. Good for you Premier Wynne. Now people are talking about this and not the fact how many cuts you made to Ontario healthcare. Mexico and Chile are the only 2 developed nation that have less hospital beds than ON.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    https://www.thestar.com/entertainmen...nay-menon.html

ironically, i feel this belongs in this thread.
    xxxooo

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    just wanted to say thank you to the almost 12 million canuckles vibing across the country saturday night. canada was closed for business and open for loving.
    that was a rare event, y'all. <3
    love to those outside canada, too. thanks for bumping souls!

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    I was in an Airbnb cabin on the coast of Newfoundland's Avalon Peninsula (twenty minutes' drive away from anything resembling a store or public place of business) and streamed the whole thing on my iPad. No cell service, but good enough broadband to watch the concert! An amazing moment, and no one will be able to explain it to non-Canadians.

At first I was embarrassed for the surface-level boosterism of Gord's statements about the Prime Minister, but on a deeper level I'm glad he drew attention to the issue of Aboriginal and Northern Affairs — no fucking way can Trudeau renege on his promises this time. He's made a pact with a dying hero to all of us in the white mainstream Canadian culture, to honour his word and establish a real relationship with the First Nations.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Fwiw, there are a lot of Americans who loved the Hip and feel sad for Gord and you Canadians, we were with you :-(

We loved that Toronto Police tweet that Canada was closed. So bittersweet.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Figured you'd be wise to their immense legacy. Always will consider you an honourary Canuck!