Page 52 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 2580

Thread: General Police Misconduct aka Murdering Black People

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Baphomette View Post
    Chill, Alex Jones. Same thing happened in '92 during the LA Riots - curfew was set and national guard troops were called in. It's standard protocol. "Martial law" has deposed "FEMA camps" as most popular alarmist phrase.
    but there is a difference.
    The LA 92 was an isolated incident.
    But now, we've had riots after the mike brown case, eric garner, walter scott, and now this. And it seems like it's getting worse every time. And the riots, in my opinion, were not CAUSED by the cases in point. I think that they are the result of tension that has been building for a long, long time, and people have finally fucking had it.

I don't think it's going to stop, and i am concerned for the future.

edit: @DigitalChaos , you are right about the katrina thing.
    i remember people being shot on sight for entering pharmacies, and some of them were trying to get diapers and such.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    but there is a difference.
    The LA 92 was an isolated incident.
    But now, we've had riots after the mike brown case, eric garner, walter scott, and now this. And it seems like it's getting worse every time. And the riots, in my opinion, were not CAUSED by the cases in point. I think that they are the result of tension that has been building for a long, long time, and people have finally fucking had it.
    I don't think it's going to stop, and i am concerned for the future.
    These type of riots are just a repeat of the same type of riots we've had in the past because the underlying cause never changed. Police harassment and brutality against blacks sparked the '65 Watts Riot and the '67 Detroit Riot, or riots when MLK was killed, and then the Rodney King Riot in '92, but of course overall racism and ghettoization etc. was also a big part, and these riots seem to happen in cycles, things simmer down for a while but the underlying problem never goes away and nothing changes, at all. And people were concerned about the future, then, too. And 25 years from now, this same thing will happen and you will say, "but this same thing happened in '15" and they will say "but this is different" but it won't be.

Rodney King only appeared to be an "isolated incident" TO YOU, but to a shitload of black Los Angelenos it was Business As Usual and that's why there was a riot. And it just happened to be filmed by somebody, way before the days of cell phone cameras and shit.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-29-2015 at 11:24 AM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    These type of riots are just a repeat of the same type of riots we've had in the past because the underlying cause never changed. Police harassment and brutality against blacks sparked the '65 Watts Riot and the '67 Detroit Riot, or riots when MLK was killed, and then the Rodney King Riot in '92, but of course overall racism and ghettoization etc. was also a big part, and these riots seem to happen in cycles, things simmer down for a while but the underlying problem never goes away and nothing changes, at all. And people were concerned about the future, then, too. And 25 years from now, this same thing will happen and you will say, "but this same thing happened in '15" and they will say "but this is different" but it won't be.

Rodney King only appeared to be an "isolated incident" TO YOU, but to a shitload of black Los Angelenos it was Business As Usual and that's why there was a riot. And it just happened to be filmed by somebody, way before the days of cell phone cameras and shit.
    ahhhh. interesting. i most definitely see what you mean.

and that article is a trip, @orestes

the underlying causes from the 1967 study. and they haven't changed.

First Level of Intensity
    1. Police practices
    2. Unemployment and underemployment
    3. Inadequate housing
    Second Level of Intensity
    4. Inadequate education
    5. Poor recreation facilities and programs
    6. Ineffectiveness of the political structure and grievance mechanisms.
    Third Level of Intensity
    7. Disrespectful white attitudes
    8. Discriminatory administration of justice
    9. Inadequacy of federal programs
    10. Inadequacy of municipal services
    11. Discriminatory consumer and credit practices
    12. Inadequate welfare programs

Last edited by elevenism; 04-29-2015 at 01:04 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Yes, exactly.

I think I linked this story on this board somewhere, before. Fascinating (and sad) stuff.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-30-2015 at 01:36 AM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    the '65 Watts Riot and the '67 Detroit Riot, or riots when MLK was killed, and then the Rodney King Riot in '92
    You mean the LA Riots?

Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Underlying causes haven't changed but, as there is now a third society que esta presente, there are additional problems. I don't think anyone foresaw that the Latino population would eventually outnumber the Black population.

Coincidentally, today is the 20th 23rd anniversary of the LA Riots.
    Last edited by Baphomette; 04-30-2015 at 01:05 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    @Miss Baphomette I mean the 1992 Rodney King Riot in LA which was 23 years ago and was sparked by the same police brutality (and cops getting away with it) that is being protested right now.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-30-2015 at 01:02 AM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    @Miss Baphomette I mean the 1992 Rodney King Riot in LA which was 23 years ago and sparked by the same police brutality (and cops getting away with it) that is being protested right now.
    I knew what you meant. They're really not referred to as the Rodney King Riots (even that wiki entry uses an aka) since, as you know, the King verdict was only the spark.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I knew what you meant. They're really not referred to as the Rodney King Riots (even that wiki entry uses an aka) since, as you know, the King verdict was only the spark.
    Like it or not, the riot will forever be tied to Rodney King because those cops getting acquitted started the rioting. Of course it happened in LA, but the whole world SAW THAT VIDEO and that had never really happened, before, let alone cops walking free even with the video. People couldn't really blame the rioting people for being really fucking pissed. It wasn't quite the same as Watts in being a general sense of police brutality: 92 was a SPECIFIC REACTION to a verdict, just like we are seeing now in Baltimore. Nitpicking or even a sense of pride ("LA Riots, gotta be sure LA is mentioned" even though it is a given) seems weird right now in the context of the discussion. The other historic riots like Newark or Detroit or Watts didn't have a person or verdict attached to the riots. But the disturbance in St Louis will always have the name Michael Brown attached to it. Rodney King was the poster child of that riot, even though he didn't really want that. The riot led to some big shakeups, too! It is sad that it took a riot and death and destruction to bring change.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-30-2015 at 01:49 AM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Like it or not, the riot will forever be tied to Rodney King because those cops getting acquitted started the rioting. Of course it happened in LA, but the whole world SAW THAT VIDEO and that had never really happened, before, let alone cops walking free even with the video. People couldn't really blame the rioting people for being really fucking pissed. It wasn't quite the same as Watts in being a general sense of police brutality: 92 was a SPECIFIC REACTION to a verdict, just like we are seeing now in Baltimore. Nitpicking or even a sense of pride ("LA Riots, gotta be sure LA is mentioned" even though it is a given) seems weird right now in the context of the discussion. The other historic riots like Newark or Detroit or Watts didn't have a person or verdict attached to the riots. But the disturbance in St Louis will always have the name Michael Brown attached to it.
    A sense of pride is definitely not the reason I mentioned it. It just struck *me* as weird that you were referring to them as such. Back then, conservative media outlets used the phrase "Rodney King Riot(s)" in their attempts to diminish the uprising because King had a police record. So, how could anyone support people who were supporting this criminal? I suppose it's just a bit of a tender spot.

Additionally, I was thinking about the fanzine I used to publish. We did a "Riot" issue and there were more than a few satirical pieces that I don't think I'd feel comfortable running now. It could very well be that the reason I thought it was okay back then was because of the negative things said about King. Something for me to further contemplate...

Sorry for the derail.
    Last edited by Baphomette; 04-30-2015 at 01:57 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    A sense of pride is definitely not the reason I mentioned it. It just struck *me* as weird that you were referring to them as such. Back then, conservative media outlets used the phrase "Rodney King Riot(s)" in their attempts to diminish the uprising because King had a police record. So, how could anyone support people who were supporting this criminal? I suppose it's just a bit of a tender spot.
    Yes, but WAY MORE media outlets used the term Rodney King Riot because people were REALLY FUCKING PISSED that the cops who beat the shit out of him - AND WE SAW IT - walked away free. I mean, the whole fucking world waited for that verdict - fuck his criminal record, fuck if he was on crack, a WHOLE BUNCH OF COPS BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF AN UNARMED GUY AND WE SAW THE WHOLE THING - and all those cops walked. And when ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE, "conservative media" called the rioters "animals," etc.

I used to work with defense attorneys. Ultimately, everybody deserves due process, a speedy trial, fair treatment, AND NOT GETTING THE SHIT KICKED OUT OF THEM BEFORE DUE PROCESS OR SPEEDY TRIAL ETC. No fucking cop has the right to take away those rights. That is why we have A FUCKING CONSTITUTION.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-30-2015 at 02:09 AM.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Freddie Gray's death is ruled a homicide, and six officers will face charges.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/01/us/fre...ath/index.html

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    Freddie Gray's death is ruled a homicide, and six officers will face charges.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/01/us/fre...ath/index.html
    Hallelujah!!

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    i just saw it on the news. i can't believe it!
    Hallelujah!!
    oh, and they also found that his arrest was unlawful

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...ddie-gray-stop

this makes me so, so fucking sick. i momentarily just hate cops, fucking HATE THEM when i read things like this. i'm sorry but i do.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Saying you "hate cops" is the opposite of constructive, though. We shouldn't hate cops. We should be advocating for change. There should be increased training, and increased standards. Blanket hatred for any group doesn't solve anything. That's why we are in the mess we are in right now.

Check out this story:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...lice/26843733/

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Saying you "hate cops" is the opposite of constructive, though.
    Well, he did say "momentarily." When it feels like the cops will always win, no matter what, SOME people feel the way he feels. The majority of white Americans, however, seem to feel that law enforcement has carte blanche to shoot whomever they want, and assumes that all these dead people shot by cops deserve it because the dead people had a criminal record or whatever (I guess these people don't realize that's unconstitutional to think that way). If the cop is doing it, there must be a "reason" and even if there is no "reason" at that very moment, the person's past criminal history warranted a "reason" which of course isn't a reason according to the Constitution but it's reason enough for the white American public. So, if you did something 20 years ago and paid your debt to society, that's still reason enough. Especially if you're a minority.

One of my husband's coworkers posted a small video of a (white!) woman video'ing a U.S. Marshall via her cell phone and the U.S. Marshall came over and snatched away the woman's phone, hurling it to the ground and then kicking it into the street, and the FB poster wondered what people thought about the video. Only a few people said "that guy had no right to do that" but we couldn't BELIEVE how many people said "oh those poor cops [a U.S. Marshall????] have such difficult jobs, risking their lives just to protect us every day, he was probably just under a lot of stress, and I'm sure it was all that woman's fault" etc. They can do no wrong, it's unquestioned and unlimited trust. Here, see this.

My husband was saying the other day, "remember in the 60s and 70s, when cops were "pigs" and nobody liked them or trusted them? What the fuck happened to that?"
    Last edited by allegro; 05-04-2015 at 05:08 PM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    My husband was saying the other day, "remember in the 60s and 70s, when cops were "pigs" and nobody liked them or trusted them? What the fuck happened to that?"
    9-11? Ten characters.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @Sarah K , like i said, it's momentary.
    Hell, the sheriff of this little town (up until last year) is a very good family friend who is actually named after my granddad. I'm friendly with the new sheriff too.

But when i hear information like we heard in the FG case, it just utterly fucking sickens me, and it's "us and them."

It's a complicated issue. And it occurred to me that it's never, ever going to change because of our nature as humans to abuse power.

edit: also, you have to remember that part of the reason i feel this way is personal experience. as ive said here before, when i lived in dallas, i was beaten by police on more than one occasion. i've had two fake drug paraphernalia charges. ive been denied medical care (i was taken to jail after being in a bad car accident and forced, under the threat of violence, to sign papers saying that i refused to go to the hospital.) i've had them threaten to kill me, telling me that they could do it and get away with it. they told me that they could literally do whatever the fuck they wanted. and to a certain degree, that's true. i hate THAT shit. i hate that mentality.

but you are absolutely right that blanket hatred is wrong.
    Last edited by elevenism; 05-05-2015 at 01:57 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/n...s-us-database#
    You can filter the results by state, age, race, cause of death, gender and whether they were armed/unarmed. 470 dead in 2015, so far. Seems a lot.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    thought that was Reno 911 or some shit at the beginning. wtf was that accidental(?) roll?! That fucking cop acts like he just did a shitload of coke.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    thought that was Reno 911 or some shit at the beginning. wtf was that accidental(?) roll?! That fucking cop acts like he just did a shitload of coke.
    I thought it was the T1000. I was just waiting for his arms to morph into swords and start chopping kids in half.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    My favorite part about Officer Douchefuck's barrel roll is how 1,000,000% unnecessary it was plus the EXTREME probability that he didn't even realize he was on camera yet and simply thought it would be an OMFGAWESOMEBALLZ way to enter frame before he ultimately became the laughingstock of humanity, lol.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    My favorite part about Officer Douchefuck's barrel roll is how 1,000,000% unnecessary it was plus the EXTREME probability that he didn't even realize he was on camera yet and simply thought it would be an OMFGAWESOMEBALLZ way to enter frame before he ultimately became the laughingstock of humanity, lol.
    This is even DUMBER

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    I think this counts as potential police misconduct?
    I have progressive and my insurance card is viewable via the app. My question is if I get pulled over and show my insurance card to the officer am I giving him consent to search my phone since its "open"? Just a general random thought.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/08/ny...lice.html?_r=0

Cuomo is going to issue order that appoints the state attorney general as a special prosecutor in cases where police kill people.

Thoughts by people who are more knowledgeable than me? What do you think of this? Will it help get justice for these people? Will it increase accountability? Should it be someone other than the state attorney general to make it more independent?

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Not saying im more knowledgable (im a fucking idiot) but I have an opinion:
    Cuomo is already viewed to be incredibly corrupt, so whatever he sets up isn't going to be trusted.
    I know nothing about the current AG's history with police. Is there a buddy system already in place between AG and the police? If not, what's to stop one from forming? What's to stop the AG from frequently doing favors for the police? Internal Affairs already suffers from this crap. It helps a bit, but is easily broken.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I'm speechless. Are police officers THAT nervous?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/08/ny...lice.html?_r=0

Cuomo is going to issue order that appoints the state attorney general as a special prosecutor in cases where police kill people.

Thoughts by people who are more knowledgeable than me? What do you think of this? Will it help get justice for these people? Will it increase accountability? Should it be someone other than the state attorney general to make it more independent?
    I'm kind of late to the party, here, but it depends on the Attorney General, who is also an elected official. Our AG in Illinois, Lisa Madigan, is VERY good, IMO, and has done a LOT of good in terms of corruption of all kinds. She was particularly effective in bank foreclosure cases. A Special Prosecutor is better than the Prosecuting Attorney's office, and the Attorney General's office is even better because the AG represents the State (and the Prosecuting Attorney represents the County or often just the City or a particular District and is often beholden to its coinciding police department; the State and AG is outside of that).

This describes the office of Attorney General in the State of New York:

As head of the Department of Law, the Attorney General is both the “People's Lawyer” and the State's chief legal officer. As the “People's Lawyer,” the Attorney General serves as the guardian of the legal rights of the citizens of New York, its organizations and its natural resources. In his role as the State's chief legal counsel, the Attorney General not only advises the Executive branch of State government, but also defends actions and proceedings on behalf of the State.

The Attorney General serves all New Yorkers in numerous matters affecting their daily lives.The Attorney General's Office is charged with the statutory and common law powers to protect consumers and investors, charitable donors, the public health and environment, civil rights, and the rights of wage-earners and businesses across the State.

The Attorney General's authority also includes the activities and investigations of the State Organized Crime Task Force and Medicaid Fraud Control Unit. While the Attorney General acts independently of the Governor, the Governor or a state agency may request the Attorney General to undertake specific criminal investigations and prosecutions.

The legal functions of the Department of Law are divided primarily into five major divisions: Appeals and Opinions, State Counsel, Criminal Justice, Economic Justice and Social Justice.

Over 650 Assistant Attorneys General and over 1,700 employees, including forensic accountants, legal assistants, scientists, investigators and support staff serve in the Office of the Attorney General in many locations across New York State.
    Last edited by allegro; 07-15-2015 at 11:14 AM.