Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: 2014.08.17 - Dallas, TX @ Gexa Energy Pavilion

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

2014.08.17 - Dallas, TX @ Gexa Energy Pavilion

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Standard fuji set tonight. My 7th and last show this tour, so I was hoping for assault, but I still have no complaints. This was the first time I've followed NIN around the country, and it was the best decision of my life.

Ended up meeting some ETS ppl literally a minute after walking into the venue, by pure chance. Wasnt even wearing my ets shirt. My spot was decent, and I ended up next to another fan who had traveled to all of the TX shows. We rocked out together for SG and NIN. Was glad to have a rock-out buddy, since everyone around us (row 10) was a statue.

More later when im back on a computer.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    It was good. No qualms. Lots of energy. Setlist was meh and slightly short but cool, was so much energy that it didn't matter. Show #4, my friend's first NIN show. Hurt is still the best closer.

I had lawn seats, got to dance more than usual, was drenched in sweat. Also, no douchebag issues. Pretty huge circle pit started on the lawn, that was hilarious.

Met a cool dude, was his 7th show...we high fived when The Great Destroyer started, that song is my jam and I had kept missing it, somehow.

Soundgarden was really good--Cornell sounded like shit. He couldn't sing but he sure as hell could still scream.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This was somewhere around 15ish shows for me. Hadn't seen him in five years as my son was born when he came by last tour. Overall I left feeling like the setlist was short and didn't pack much punch. We got Eraser which was cool and also The Great Destroyer. The visuals were underwhelming. I was looking forward to some rotating cube action during Disappointed but really nothing wowed me about the backdrop setup. Wanted to see some Star Trek overhead lights and a cage in front. No big whoop. Trent sang great and had much better energy than the last time I saw him. It wasn't until halfway through Head Like a Hole that it dawned on me that he was closing the show down soon. I was like ALREADY?? We were tenth row on Robin's side so from a distance standpoint it was the closest I've ever been at a show. Mother of crap it was hot and no circulation.

Also, could not have been more ready for Soundgarden to be done. I also thought Cornell sounded terrible and they absolutely deafened us to the point that it took away from the NIN experience. We were so deaf after their set and still am today. I'd recommend someone take earplugs for the Soundgarden set.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rewt75 View Post
    This was somewhere around 15ish shows for me. Hadn't seen him in five years as my son was born when he came by last tour. Overall I left feeling like the setlist was short and didn't pack much punch. We got Eraser which was cool and also The Great Destroyer. The visuals were underwhelming. I was looking forward to some rotating cube action during Disappointed but really nothing wowed me about the backdrop setup. Wanted to see some Star Trek overhead lights and a cage in front. No big whoop. Trent sang great and had much better energy than the last time I saw him. It wasn't until halfway through Head Like a Hole that it dawned on me that he was closing the show down soon. I was like ALREADY?? We were tenth row on Robin's side so from a distance standpoint it was the closest I've ever been at a show. Mother of crap it was hot and no circulation.

Also, could not have been more ready for Soundgarden to be done. I also thought Cornell sounded terrible and they absolutely deafened us to the point that it took away from the NIN experience. We were so deaf after their set and still am today. I'd recommend someone take earplugs for the Soundgarden set.

Also, Trent was particularly unchatty last night. All I remember hearing besides a couple of thank yous was a "fck you" after someone threw a water bottle on the stage at him. Was funny. But not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This was my 11th show, one of the few I was in seats and not on the rail. Although it was a shorter setlist, they were on it tonight. Intensity was towards the top. Other friends of mine were at the Austin and Houston shows, they agreed this show was better in terms of execution. I was happy to hear The Great Destroyer finally. Sanctified was flawless, I like the added percussive layers. Definitely a better version over the Tension 2013 version. Eraser was fantastic. It was great seeing my closest NIN friends. Until next time!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was literally bored to tears. NEVER have I seen anyone fall asleep at a NIN concert. No these weren't drunk wasted people. And it wasn't just a couple.
    The setlist was blah. As previously stated, Eraser and The Great Destroyer were nice to hear. But it was dull. I barely felt any energy from the crowd. It was my wife's first time to see NIN and now she will probably never go again.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'll never complain about a NIN show, but yeah, IMO it was a little weak compared to Houston. Seat location and nearby crowd do have a lot to do with it, though. Sometimes you get lucky, and sometimes you end up around boring people. But yeah, regardless, the set wasn't as strong for this one. The energy seemed to be there, though. I, at least, thoroughly enjoyed myself. Well worth the trip down from up nort'.

"Literally bored to tears" seems a little harsh, but I know where you're coming from for sure. An ETSer I met (maybe you're on here and will read this) said afterwards, "so, pretty typical festival setlist, then..." and sounded a bit disappointed.

Did anyone snag a printed setlist from this? I'm wondering if maybe they cut something (Only, maybe?) to end in time, since the overall show (starting with SG) seemed to be behind by 10-15 mins or so.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Fifth show for me. It was weird being so far away since the last three times I've been really close. I was far away at the 2009 Austin show, but that was forever ago. Soundgarden was better than they were in Austin, but to me, that's not saying much. They sounded good, but they were just boring. Cold Cave was better to me, and they were were actually quite good. NIN was awesome as usual. The entire section around me was sitting down for most of the damn show though. My friend was so confused when Trent got lost during March of the Pigs. I explained to him that Trent gets really into it sometimes and gets lost in thought. What I will say about the crowd though, is that when they were on, they were fantastic. During Head like a Hole, I've never heard a crowd that loud before. After Hurt, I started running to the soundboard to see if I could score a setlist, and was lucky this time. I'll admit that this show was probably my least favorite of the five I've been to, and hope Trent and co come back someday. Seeing them four times in the last year has been absolutely amazing.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Eh, this is why he never goes to Dallas. It's the same deal for every band I've ever seen--they all hate playing here because of the crowds. I enjoyed it, this being my fourth. Tension in ATL and SA (All The Love in the World and Into the Void) was better though as well as LiTS. Never got to jam out like I did on the lawn, though. It's no coincidence Austin and Houston always get better setlists and overall better performances.

Like I said, the lawn had a mosh pit start, so I think crowd energy depended on your location.
    Last edited by ninsp; 08-19-2014 at 02:25 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I was the only one rocking out where I was but I was in the Soundgarden fan club pre-sale section. Front row of Section 201. I had a blast and made the best of it, still worth the 8 hour drive and hundreds and hundreds of $.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
    Eh, this is why he never goes to Dallas. It's the same deal for every band I've ever seen--they all hate playing here because of the crowds. I enjoyed it, this being my fourth. Tension in ATL and SA (All The Love in the World and Into the Void) was better though as well as LiTS. Never got to jam out like I did on the lawn, though. It's no coincidence Austin and Houston always get better setlists and overall better performances.

Like I said, the lawn had a mosh pit start, so I think crowd energy depended on your location.
    I agree 100%. I still kick myself for not going to the Dallas LITS show. I was a freshman in high school so I didn't have the money. But that setlist rocked, The Line begins to Blur, getting smaller, and Down In It? Ugh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    anyone got a bootleg of this show? thanks!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    ignore this.