Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Nirvana

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    The thing about Grunge is it was more of a scene then a genera. Nirvana didn't sound like Pearl Jam who didn't sound like STP, who didn't sound like Soundgarden, who didn't sound like AiC...etc

Imo, Nirvana was mostly a punk band with some hard rock and noise mixed in

Pearl Jam is just straight up classic rock as far as im concerned.

Stp is sorta a post grunge band but it has a lot of jazz, blues and psychedelia influences.

Soundgarden was like, Stoner, Doomy some of the times and the other was more metal influenced and riff heavy with some slight punk edge

AiC started as a glam metal band but quickly changed into this Sludgy, Doom and Gloom metal band but also has no problems busting out a meaningful acoustic song.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    I was going to start a thread about grunge, but I didn't want to sound like an uninformed idiot. I have been wondering about these things:
    Did grunge really die when Kurt Cobain left this earth or did it slowly fade away?
    Why is Kurt Cobain called the father of grunge when Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam were more commercially successful?
    Is grunge still a musical genre in the present tense as the wikipedia would like us to believe?
    If a lot of active bands are still drawing inspiration from the movement, is it possible that grunge never ended?
    I see it just the way @Dryalex12 put it.

It was more of a scene. Nirvana got and still get a lot of credit because they were the band we could call responsible for the shift in attention to what was going on musically. Before Nevermind, the under scene was already very vibrant, but it didn’t have the mainstream media attention. Then Smells Like Teen Spirit and Nevermind came out and the rest is history.

I don’t listen to the radio or actively look for new bands to listen to. I’m in a point where the new music I listen to is new to me, but was released 10-50something years ago. So I don’t know if there is a scene, but there must be bands somewhere that are heavily influenced by the 90s “grunge bands”.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    When I think "grunge" as a style of music (not a scene) I think Tad, Green River, Mudhoney, Nirvana and early Soundgarden.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I feel like even if those bands didn't sound alike musically, they still shared similar views on the world, art and - not the least - fame. And those views were expressed time and time again during interviews, actions and, of course, their music.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Francis Bean's doofus ex-husband gets to keep Kurt's guitar used from MTV unplugged.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...012236654.html

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Francis Bean's doofus ex-husband gets to keep Kurt's guitar used from MTV unplugged.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...012236654.html
    Well, that was a very stupid mistake of Frances or Courtney or whoever gave him the fucking guitar in the first place.

What a fucking cunt though... he’s a gold digger, the lowest a man can be.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    That sucks

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Ugh..... that is awful.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    He'll sell it, it will end up behind glass somewhere

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    In a recent interview Frances Bean Cobain says she regrets working on Montage of Heck and Kurt Cobains mother calls Brett Morgen ‘that man’ which is a negative expression if I ever heard one. Wonder what the actual deal with that documentary was

https://www.independent.ie/entertain...-37165902.html

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Oh wow....Yeah I wonder why. I actually really liked Montage of Heck.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Why the fuck is no one talking about this?!?!?!?!?!

Nirvana reunite!
    For Foo Fighters encore this past Saturday, Dave Grohl, Kris, Novoselic, and Pat Smear reunited as Nirvana with Deer Tick's John McCauley, Joan Jett, and Brody Dale at Cal Jam 2018.

Serve The Servants (w/ John McCauley)
    Scentless Appreciate (w/ John McCauley)
    In Bloom (w/ John McCauley)
    Breed (w/ Joan Jett)
    Smells Like Teen Spirit (w/ Joan Jett)
    All Apologies (w/ Joan Jett & Brody Dale)

I must admit, after watching footage, I would pay to see Grohl, Novoselic, Smear, and McCauley tour as Nirvana. He did an amazing job on vocals/guitars. Someone get Nirvana and The Smashing Pumpkins to tour together.

Last edited by neorev; 10-09-2018 at 11:15 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I guess nothing is sacred anymore.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I think it's awesome and I'm a huge Nirvana fan. I think McCauley did a great job. Kurt was big into covering songs and honoring bands he loved and respected. I think the rest of the band deserves to play these songs. These songs belong to Dave and Kris too. I always loved Pat and thought they were at their peak as a live band with him. I will admit that Joan Jett felt a little gimmicky. But if these guys tour with McCauley, I am in. No one can replace Kurt, his heart and soul are still in the music, but damn did McCauley did a great job.
    Last edited by neorev; 10-09-2018 at 11:14 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure View Post
    I guess nothing is sacred anymore.
    sorry, i definately prefer this than to having to hear Nirvana covers by shitty '00 numetal bands in festivals....

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    That is cool and all, but hardly a Nirvana reunion. It would be like Noel Redding and Mitchell doing a gig and calling it a Jimi Hendrix Experience reunion.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Wow, McCauley did a great job.

P.S. that's how you spell his name.
    Last edited by otnavuskire; 10-08-2018 at 07:44 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I don’t mean to come off as obtuse, but this just feels weird. Kurt was Nirvana. And while it’s fine for his band mates to honor the legacy; don’t do it at a damn Foo Fighters festival. Dave Grohl has taken it upon himself to be the torch-bearer for all rock and roll; the cool dad that transcends generations and “still knows how to rock”. Good job Dave. But get off your throne for one minute and leave Kurt’s songs out of your incessant positivity.

PS- Perhaps I am being unfair, but the guy isn’t even capable of singing a song properly anymore. It’s all “whoo whoo”’s, “here we go’s”, and “come on’s”. Might as well be Bon Jovi at this point. Kurt would not like any of this.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    As good as this sounded and as much as i'd like to hear these songs live i am also part of those who wish they'd leave it alone + It's hardly a reunion without the guy who is behind this legacy.
    And yes, this feels even more weird happening at a freakin' foo fighters show.
    keep it special if you are going to do this, do it at a benefit show or something.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Relax people, it’s just an encore, a one-off.

I still haven’t seen any videos of it, but that was a great choice of songs. So far my favourite thing is Kim Gordon singing Aneurysm.

A Kurt-less Nirvana tour would be disgusting, and I’m sure it will never happen. Kurt was the mind and soul of that band, and without him there is no Nirvana, period. But I don’t think the guys playing a few Nirvana covers to be some sort of sacrilege.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    The ONLY Nirvana reunion that would be legit is with J Mascis singing and playing guitar, considering J's voice is already similar to Kurts, Kurt asked him to be IN Nirvana multiple times, and J is fuckin J and has earned his cred.....I know they did 3 songs together at that secret show thing a few years back. Thats the only Nirvana "reunion" that was sincere, the rest feel like corporate Dave rock n roll star refusing to let sleeping dogs lie...It could be worse. Dave could have actually sang and played guitar at these Nirvana "reunions"
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 10-09-2018 at 10:47 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    The ONLY Nirvana reunion that would be legit is with J Mascis singing and playing guitar, considering J's voice is already similar to Kurts, Kurt asked him to be IN Nirvana multiple times, and J is fuckin J and has earned his cred.....I know they did 3 songs together at that secret show thing a few years back. Thats the only Nirvana "reunion" that was sincere, the rest feel like corporate Dave rock n roll star refusing to let sleeping dogs lie...It could be worse. Dave could have actually sang and played guitar at these Nirvana "reunions"
    I had no idea they had played with Mascis... fuck! I would have loved to be there.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Kurt Cobain and two scabs would be Nirvana. Kurt was Nirvana like Trent is NIN. Again, this was a cool tribute and all, but not a "Nirvana reunion."

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I don't know about Kurt = Nirvana; is "Green Day" Billy? Is "STP" Scott? Is "Alice in Chains" Layne?

I think Nirvana was 65% - 70% Kurt.

Kirst was there all along. He formed the band, and his bass lines are just as smart and important as Kurts guitar; look at how many songs are bass driven!! I absolutely love Kirsts techniques and style in almost every song. He has his place and he doesn't simply follow Kurts guitar.

Then Dave was the icing on the cake. I don't know what his involvement was with writing, but his drumming is what brought everything together. I'm a huge fan of his drumming; he makes Bleach sound like a 15 yr old drummer in a garage. Dave did help design and produce the sounds we hear on Unplugged in NY.

Pat is just awesome.
    Last edited by snaapz; 10-10-2018 at 10:53 AM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
    I had no idea they had played with Mascis... fuck! I would have loved to be there.

Unfortunately this is the only vid available. Dave claims they filmed the show and will release it one day...I doubt it

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Unfortunately this is the only vid available. Dave claims they filmed the show and will release it one day...I doubt it
    That was beautiful.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    "When Pat, Krist and I sat down to go through those songs in a small rehearsal room with concrete walls, it fuckin’ sounded like Nirvana,” he told Kerrang!

“It was like being shot into outer space,” he said. “Being able to play that drum fill and break into the chorus…it’s spiritual, physical, emotional.”

He continued: “We would look at each other and smile, but the emotions would kind of go in waves, because there was someone missing – and you wish that you could still share those songs with Kurt.”

Novoselic said that he was “beaming” during the performance of ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit.’

“I will cherish that moment for a long time because it was pretty special,” he said.

Read more at https://www.nme.com/news/music/dave-...OeqCiwDyO5M.99

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    File this is the 'random' section, but on my walk to London Bridge along Embankment you get a lot of buskers doing their thing, some great, others good, rarely anything bad. Anyway yesterday some dude was playing Nirvana Come as You Are which...if your after tips is a bit of an odd choice. He was doing a pretty solid Cobain impression with a heavy distorted guitar...but he also had a friend providing support on bongo drums which was very odd.
    It's not the weirdest thing i've seen in London...but it was odd.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    File this is the 'random' section, but on my walk to London Bridge along Embankment you get a lot of buskers doing their thing, some great, others good, rarely anything bad. Anyway yesterday some dude was playing Nirvana Come as You Are which...if your after tips is a bit of an odd choice. He was doing a pretty solid Cobain impression with a heavy distorted guitar...but he also had a friend providing support on bongo drums which was very odd.
    It's not the weirdest thing i've seen in London...but it was odd.
    I was in Ireland many years ago and passed by some buskers covering Molly's Lips. I got so excited I had to turn around and give them some money (I didn't know at the time it was a Vaselines song, which is probably how they knew it).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I think it sounded amazing to see them out playing such great music which changed a generation. There will be nothing like that ever again, in this digital age. I'm so lucky to have lived through it as a teenager when everything just exploded in the early 90's.

Dave Grohl is unique and has done a lot to keeping great music alive, if you don't like how he sings or not a fan of his other work fine, yes Kurt was Nirvana but it was nothing without Dave and Krist as well. I just wish we got a chance to hear more music from them.