Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Nirvana

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    yeah yeah, but 'about a girl' is the one pop anomaly on that record. always reminded me of the cure's 'm,' too.

singles was good fun. the dating ads crack my shit up.
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 01-12-2012 at 09:33 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I haven't heard Bleach in so long. I think I kind of dismissed it because it wasn't as catchy as Nevermind, as interesting as In Utero or oddball as Incesticide. I'll have to track down a copy and give it another go I think.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I love all three albums for different reasons. Although Nevermind and In Utero are closer in terms of style, there's definitely a separation of ideas there that makes them both unique and yet linked at the same time.

It's a shame that Cobain felt he had to end it, but having read his suicide note, I can understand why. Music seemed to be all he had, and his enjoyment of it had left him. If that's all you've got and it's gone, then I can see why you would rather die than go on living a lie. I think it would have been great had the band decided to abandon the grunge/rock scene and continue in the direction that their Unplugged performance showed. Perhaps if Cobain had thought it was worth it in the end, Nirvana would still be with us today. Who knows what could have been...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Fuck those guys are funny.

Alice in Chains is by far my favorite Grunge band.
    Any one for Grunge thread?

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    *=I still haven't heard "Bleach," though. I know, I know. I know. *dodges flying tomatoes* I'll probably end up making a blind buy one of these days.
    Not a problem dude. If you loved Nevermind, along with your love for Smells Like Teen Spirit, Bleach will most likely satisfy you, or more depending on what you're looking for. Then again, I'm one of those people that don't think you can go wrong with all three albums. Aside from that, I hope you like Bleach. I definitely liked it the instant I heard Blew for the first time.

And on a very small note, I noticed that In Bloom has finally grew on me. I used to always skip that song whenever I was listening to Nevermind.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 01-13-2012 at 01:11 AM. Reason: To put it another way: I actually like In Bloom now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PooPooMeowChow View Post
    Alice in Chains is by far my favorite Grunge band.
    Any one for Grunge thread?
    I wouldn't call AiC grunge. If you start a grunge thread, you'll just get a bunch of people arguing about what grunge is and isn't and what bands are good. Go post in the AiC thread, or start a "early-90s Seattle scene" thread.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    I thought this was pretty brilliant: "secret memo" on In Utero 20th anniversary reissue (not real but amazing satire).
    Last edited by botley; 01-07-2013 at 09:55 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I thought this was pretty brilliant: "secret memo" on In Utero 20th anniversary reissue (not real but amazing satire).
    While I agree with the premise that people only want to read and hear things they already know, that "memo" reads like someone in high school wrote it.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    ...you think the real record industry cartel leaders are exercising more intelligence than that? If you were satirizing something or someone, would you over- or under-estimate their intelligence in a satirical portrayal?
    Last edited by botley; 01-07-2013 at 07:17 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Nirvana are just one of those bands that have been overexposed. They were fucking brilliant but Kurt Cobain's legend became this tool to sell magazines that certain publications to this day still rely heavily upon him. I see his face on the front cover of music magazines in 2012 and i just feel there is no need for this any more. Its been too much for too long. Every area of his life to an insane degree has been documented. I ended up disliking him reading his journals, the whole thing just seemed like it was romanticizing a very sick mentally ill guy.

To me they were just a really good influential band that were around for a few years in the early 90s then ended. It must be an American thing, Nirvana were never this catalyst in the UK. It seems that in the U.S Nirvana were THE thing that introduced Alternative rock to the mainstream. Over here it was never really like that. Hair Metal was never ever ever cool and didnt get much airplay. Bands like The Smiths, Jesus and Mary Chain, The Cult, New Order, U2, Stone Roses, Echo and the Bunnymen, The The, Cocteau Twins, The Cure etc had been top of the charts throughout the 1980s. Even The Pixies who were American were Number 1 here but were totally obscure in the U,S. It seemed much more segregated in the U.S. Until Nirvana it almost seems there was no room for anything like that.
    But listening to Nevermind its impossible to think of that record not being huge. I love it. If you ignore the whole epic legacy and weight of all that and just play it it's a brilliant record i love the production. Although i know a lot of people say it sounds dated. My favorite track is Come as You Are...serious beautiful gloomy masterpiece that track. Love the video too.
    Best Nirvana track of all time in my opinion Scentless Apprentice... Hear the Big Black influence in that.
    Also love Dive, Anyserysm, Son of a Gun, and Silver.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just got the 20th anniversary edition of Bleach. Really cool, nice booklet and live show!!

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Surprised no one has brought up the new In Utero release:

Disc One:
    1. "Serve The Servants" (Albini mix/original release)
    2. "Scentless Apprentice" (Albini mix/original release)
    3. "Heart-Shaped Box" (Litt mix/original release)
    4. "Rape Me" (Albini mix/original release)
    5. "Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle" (Albini mix/original release)
    6. "Dumb" (Albini mix/original release)
    7. "Very Ape" (Albini mix/original release)
    8. "Milk It" (Albini mix/original release)
    9. "Pennyroyal Tea" (Albini mix/original release)
    10. "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter" (Albini mix/original release)
    11. "tourette's" (Albini mix/original release)
    12. "All Apologies" (Litt mix/original release)
    13. "Gallons Of Rubbing Alcohol Flow Through The Strip" (ex-U.S. bonus track)
    14. "Marigold" (B-side b/w "Heart Shaped Box)
    15. "Moist Vagina" (B-side b/w "All Apologies")
    16. "Sappy"
    17. "I Hate Myself And Want To Die"
    18. "Pennyroyal Tea" (Litt mix)
    19. "Heart-Shaped Box" (Albini mix/unreleased)
    20. "All Apologies" (Albini mix/unreleased)

Disc Two:
    1. "Serve The Servants" (2013 mix)
    2. "Scentless Apprentice" (2013 mix)
    3. "Heart-Shaped Box" (2013 mix)
    4. "Rape Me" (2013 mix)
    5. "Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle" (2013 mix)
    6. "Dumb" (2013 mix)
    7. "Very Ape" (2013 mix)
    8. "Milk It" (2013 mix)
    9. "Pennyroyal Tea" (2013 mix)
    10. "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter" (2013 mix)
    11. "tourette's" (2013 mix)
    12. "All Apologies (2013 mix)
    13. "Scentless Apprentice" (Rio demo)
    14. "Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle" (Laundry Room demo)
    15. "Dumb" (Word Of Mouth demo)
    16. "Very Ape" (Rio demo)
    17. "Pennyroyal Tea" (Word Of Mouth demo)
    18. "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter" (Word Of Mouth demo)
    19. "tourette's" (Word Of Mouth demo)
    20. "Marigold" (Upland Studios demo)
    21. "All Apologies" (Music Source demo)
    22. "Forgotten Tune" (Rehearsal)
    23. "Jam" (Word Of Mouth demo)

Disc Three: (Live and Loud: Live at Pier 48, Seattle, WA - 12/13/93)
    1. "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter"
    2. "Drain You"
    3. "Breed"
    4. "Serve The Servants"
    5. "Rape Me"
    6. "Sliver"
    7. "Pennyroyal Tea"
    8. "Scentless Apprentice"
    9. "All Apologies"
    10. "Heart-Shaped Box"
    11. "Blew"
    12. "The Man Who Sold The World"
    13. "School"
    14. "Come As You Are"
    15. "Lithium"
    16. "About a Girl"
    17. "Endless, Nameless"

Disc Four: (DVD - Live & Loud: Live at Pier 48, Seattle, WA - 12/13/93)
    1. "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter"
    2. "Drain You"
    3. "Breed"
    4. "Serve The Servants"
    5. "Rape Me"
    6. "Sliver"
    7. "Pennyroyal Tea"
    8. "Scentless Apprentice"
    9. "All Apologies"
    10. "Heart-Shaped Box"
    11. "Blew"
    12. "The Man Who Sold The World"
    13. "School"
    14. "Come As You Are"
    15. "Lithium"
    16. "About a Girl"
    17. "Endless, Nameless"

DVD Extras:
    18. "Very Ape" (Live and Loud rehearsal)
    19. "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter" (Live and Loud rehearsal)
    20. "Rape Me" (Live and Loud rehearsal)
    21. "Pennyroyal Tea" (Live and Loud rehearsal)
    22. "Heart-Shaped Box" (Original Music Video and Director’s Cut)
    23. "Rape Me" (Live on "Nulle Part Ailleurs" – Paris, France)
    24. "Pennyroyal Tea" (Live on "Nulle Part Ailleurs" – Paris, France)
    25. "Drain You" (Live on "Nulle Part Ailleurs" – Paris, France)
    26. "Serve The Servants" (Live on “Tunnel” – Rome, Italy)
    27. "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter" (Live in Munich, Germany)
    28. "My Best Friend's Girl" (Live in Munich, Germany)
    29. "Drain You" (Live in Munich, Germany)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Has anybody already heard the new editions of IN UTERO?
    I've just downloaded the Super Deluxe Edition (will buy it later for sure) and the 2013 mixes are fantastic. Good work Mr. Albini and Nirvana mates.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I got the 2CD version yesterday. I gave disc one a spin for a bit of a nostalgia trip, but I haven't tried the second disc yet. Albini owns so I'm looking forward to it!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I thought today is the release day, but no surprises, I saw Hesitation Marks CDs and Deluxe Editions in Milan in August 28.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    http://m.spin.com/articles/nirvana’s...rsary-box-set/

I gravitate towards the Deluxe 2-cd, but this makes me curious about the Live and Loud DVD. But $125 is more than I can afford these days.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    http://m.spin.com/articles/nirvana’s...rsary-box-set/

I gravitate towards the Deluxe 2-cd, but this makes me curious about the Live and Loud DVD. But $125 is more than I can afford these days.
    The Live and Loud DVD is available separately.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    some of the new mixes of the song are weird. like the whole really random guitar stuff in all apologies kinda sounds weird in the new mix but the others sound pretty good

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Yeah, I'm listening to the new mix of the album right now. There's stuff about it that's a bit off like the solo in "Serve the Servants" seems a bit more polished as I missed hearing the feedback squeals and such.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Yeah, I'm listening to the new mix of the album right now. There's stuff about it that's a bit off like the solo in "Serve the Servants" seems a bit more polished as I missed hearing the feedback squeals and such.

I would go as far as saying it is a different solo than what was originally intended. I do say this is a different way to experience this album. I am enjoying this one, even more than I did with the Nevermind SE.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Might have to be an asshole and download these to see if it warrants a purchase. I bought the deluxe re-issue of Bleach a few years back and I wonder if this is anything similar.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    I would go as far as saying it is a different solo than what was originally intended. I do say this is a different way to experience this album. I am enjoying this one, even more than I did with the Nevermind SE.
    I noticed the same thing and was taken aback. With the reissue of Ten, the new mix sounded incredible and there were parts of songs that I'd never heard before due to being previously drown in an ocean of reverb, but with In Utero, it was clear this was different. So I looked for reviews and came across the Pitchfork review which had this to say:
    This exploratory ethos also informs In Utero’s new 2013 mix, overseen by Albini with input from Novoselic, Grohl, and Smear. Strangely enough, the revamp was inspired by another rock icon who died at 27: Novoselic recently revealed the idea came to him after hearing a gussied-up Doors compilation that emphasized certain, previously unnoticed sonic details. Albini, however, has offered a more pragmatic rationale: In Utero’s quick gestation period meant some mixing decisions were made off-the-cuff, resulting in various instrumental parts, alternate guitar solos, and harmony lines being left out. As he told podcaster Vish Khanna, his intention was not to replace the 1993 mix, but to simply take a snapshot of the same songs “from a different angle.” The new version is in fact more textured and nuanced, but not at the expense of the album's bone-dry, brutalizing crunch. Most of its touch-ups are tastefully unobtrusive and illuminating, like the unearthed cello lines creeping behind the chorus of “Serve the Servants” that bring a greater sense of melancholy to the fore, or the screeching strings and slowly decaying fadeout of “All Apologies” that lend a more palpable degree of finality to the proceedings. But there are times where the listening experience is reduced to a parlor game of spotting what’s been added and what’s been omitted: On the upside, “Scentless Apprentice” now sounds like it’s being screamed into a toilet, pushing the song to exciting new levels of gnarliness, but excising the cello parts that are so integral to “Dumb” is, well, kinda dumb.
    So it's not only an alternate mix, but also somewhat of an alternate version of the album. I also love the new intro to Very Ape. And somehow, "All Apologies" is even MORE haunting.

Full review: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...rsary-edition/

I love it. I absolutely LOVE this new version. This has long been one of my favorite albums of all time (easily in the top 3) and this new version makes me appreciate and love it even more. To date, I've never heard an album that sounds as heavy, dark and raw as In Utero. Albini's original mixing/mastering is a work a genius.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    The 2013 mix of In Utero is Godly.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I agree and disagree.

I think its interesting, but I get pissed when Radio Friendly Unit Shifter gets cut at the end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    on one hand i want to say "sweet merciful fuck, they are still milking the nirvana cash cow?"

otoh the in utero packages look like they tried to provide some nice content, with the new mixes, inclusion of all (most?) of the b-sides, the demo tracks, and the live material to round out the package.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Weird, I don't remember ever having read this RS interview, before.

Even weirder, I was AT THIS SHOW!!
    A shirtless, disheveled Kurt Cobain pauses on the backstage stairway leading to Nirvana's dressing room at the Aragon Ballroom, in Chicago, offers a visitor a sip of his après-gig tea and says in a drop-deadpan voice, "I'm really glad you could make it for the shittiest show on the tour."

He's right. Tonight's concert – Nirvana's second of two nights at the Aragon, only a week into the band's first U.S. tour in two years – is a real stinker. The venue's cavernous sound turns even corrosive torpedoes like "Breed" and "Territorial Pissings" into riff pudding, and Cobain is bedeviled all night by guitar – and vocal – monitor problems. There are moments of prickly brilliance: Cobain's sandpaper howl cutting through the Aragon's canyonlike echo in the tense, explosive chorus of "Heart–Shaped Box"; a short, stunning "Sliver" with torrid power strumming by guest touring guitarist Pat Smear (ex-Germs). But there is no "Smells Like Teen Spirit," and when the house lights go up, so does a loud chorus of boos.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by koz-ivan View Post
    on one hand i want to say "sweet merciful fuck, they are still milking the nirvana cash cow?"

otoh the in utero packages look like they tried to provide some nice content, with the new mixes, inclusion of all (most?) of the b-sides, the demo tracks, and the live material to round out the package.
    kids today don't give a fuck about nirvana

and all is right with the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The 20th Anniversary Edition of In Utero is pretty fucking great and Live & Loud was a great show. Nice to have that on DVD finally with all of those bonus performances.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    finally sat down and listened to the "2013 Mix" Record Store Day version of In Utero. It sounds good, but can someone tell me what the story is behind this and what/who was involved in making it the "2013 mix," because it shies away from Albini's choices.

Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    kids today don't give a fuck about nirvana
    In general, "kids today" don't give a fuck about any band that was making music before 2010.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 12-01-2013 at 08:11 PM.