Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Nirvana

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Nirvana

Probably my all time favourite band. I really don't know what to say. All the three albums they put out and other great stuff like Incesticide are always on my iPod. I've been collecting Nirvana stuff on vinyl too, so I'm always open for trade / sale.

This year I bought the remastered Nevermind and Live at the Paramount Blu-ray, both are amazing, so you should check them out if you like this band!

Share your thoughts please.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    The new remaster of nevermind is inferior to the original digital release. In so many ways.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    The new remaster of nevermind is inferior to the original digital release. In so many ways.
    The 2009 ORG remaster is way better, of course.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I'm comparing to my original cd copy from when I was a kid. 92 or so? This new brickwalled master has no balls. I don't know about a 2009 master, but sometimes they need to leave "classic" and "perfect" alone IMO

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    ^
    Yeah, I get it. Most of the remasters have this problem nowadays. The 4x12" black vinyl version of the new remaster is better, btw.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Yeah. I'd like to hear it. It's on the top of my Xmas lists
    Last edited by Jinsai; 12-05-2011 at 05:36 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    ^
    Put the Paramount BD on the list too if you don't have it, it's killer!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I think I hate Nirvana.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I actually find myself liking all three albums. I can't really decide on a favorite one.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I actually find myself liking all three albums. I can't really decide on a favorite one.
    It really isn't easy, I know. After listening all three albums in a row: I think the mood and sound of In Utero is the best. It still sounds fresh. Well, it's Albini.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i could do without hearing the entire first half of nevermind ever again, but in utero is the true gem of the catalog. hardly listen, but never tire.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    The Paramount blu-ray is all kinds of fucked up. Wide reports have steady popped up since it's release last year about it being insanely out of sync. I bought it day-1 and lost my receipt, which sucks because it's absolutely unwatchable.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    My blue ray is fine

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    My blue ray is fine
    Did you buy it when it was a Best Buy exclusive? Google it. It's a very very widely reported problem.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    In Utero is my favourite, but over the years I think I've spun Incesticide the most. Love their completely off-the-wall-batshit stuff.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    In Utero is also my favorite. I just love the rawness of the performance and Steve Albini's production for that record.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    In Utero is definitely Nirvana's best album, and sadly in a couple of years when it gets it's 20th anniversary, it won't be nearly as big of a deal as the Neveremind re-release. In Utero also doesn't even need a remaster either. Albini made that album sound PERFECT.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Definitely more Bob Weston than Albini on IN UTERO.

More of a BLEACH and INCESTICIDE fan, IN UTERO has too much smacked out filler. "Milk It", "Tourettes" and the execrable "Rape Me" make it so I can't listen to the entire album in one go without skipping tracks, unlike all their other releases.
    Last edited by emptydesk; 01-07-2012 at 02:48 AM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laci View Post
    It really isn't easy, I know. After listening all three albums in a row: I think the mood and sound of In Utero is the best. It still sounds fresh. Well, it's Albini.
    Now that you've mentioned it, I think that most of my favorites are actually on In Utero. I loved that album, but Bleach is also great too. It also depends on my mood as usual. I also like Nevermind for being the catchiest of the three.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Me, neither.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Today in 1992 Nirvana performed at the NBC Studios for Saturday Night Live. On the same day Nevermind went #1 on the chart knocking Michael Jackson’s “Dangerous” off the top spot. Everything started to change. Exactly 20 years ago.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laci View Post
    Today in 1992 Nirvana performed at the NBC Studios for Saturday Night Live. On the same day Nevermind went #1 on the chart knocking Michael Jackson’s “Dangerous” off the top spot. Everything started to change. Exactly 20 years ago.
    Yes but it didn't last long really...2 years after your event markers then it was over.

I have a love/hate relationship with Nirvana. Sometimes I think they are brilliant but most of the time I find them grossly overrated and my least favorite of the group they are usually slumped into (Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains..etc) as far as my frequency of listening and fandom. Though I must say I own and love my 20th anniversary edition Bleach. My favorite. I like handfuls of songs from their other albums but I wouldn't call myself a huge fan of all they have.

I don't think they'd be considered as popular and 'influential' as they are now if Kurt hadn't committed suicide. But that's just me.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    ^^ Out of curiosity, were you around (and old enough to be fully aware of the general hair metal music crap scene) when Nevermind came out? And the impact it had? The HUGE impact it had?

At the time, I thought Nirvana was sent by Jesus to save rock.

Seriously, even MTV completely changed. The video for "Smells Like Teen Spirit," with the cheerleaders with hairy armpits and all that? It was, like, HOLY FUCK, TOTO, WE AIN'T IN WHITE SNAKE KANSAS, ANYMORE.

I mean, really, THIS in 1992, unless you were there, you cannot possibly imagine:

Kurt was fucking brilliant. If you have any doubts, read his journals. It's one of my favorite books.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-11-2012 at 10:36 PM.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    It's really nice to see some unabashed Nirvana love.

I can't say I listen to them nearly as much as I did growing up (they were definitely one of my absolute favorite bands back then), but I do still consider myself a fan. In Utero has always been my favorite*. Nevermind is still a great, great album, but I think In Utero is far superior.

I will say, though, that the unplugged album has always bored me to tears. Every once in awhile I'll dust it off and give it another shot, but I've never really been able to get into it.

I will never forget putting Nevermind in the stereo after buying it and hearing the opening riff for "Smells Like Teen Spirit." I mean, I had heard that song before certainly, but I was just sort of finding my way in music and developing my own taste and had never really sat down and listened to it before, you know what I mean? So I very excitedly bought that album (I remember having to search for it, because for some reason our local Best Buy didn't have it...this was in 96 or so) and went home and popped it in and it just hit me like a ton of bricks. Every once in awhile, even though I've heard that song a million times and it's not even close to being my favorite Nirvana track, I'll throw that album on and that riff will still give me chills. It may be overplayed, but it is a fucking incredible song.

*=I still haven't heard "Bleach," though. I know, I know. I know. *dodges flying tomatoes* I'll probably end up making a blind buy one of these days.
    Last edited by theruiner; 01-12-2012 at 12:37 AM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    the group they are usually slumped into (Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains..etc)
    i know they were all part of the same town and therefore, lumped in together as part of the grunge movement, but i've always personally felt that bands like nirvana and smashing pumpkins were far too diverse and eclectic to really fit that mold. nirvana came off to me more like a modern, vital punk band despite having the same sludgy, heavy edge from time to time.

i'm not trying to separate them from the movement, but perhaps trying to shed some light on your (lack of?) interest.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    After reading this thread I think I might dust off my Nirvana CDs and load them on the iPhone. It's been ages since I last listened to any of their tunes (except for when I went to the EMP here in Seattle and got the chance to see a bunch of cool Nirvana stuff)

Funny story: when I was in 5th or 6th grade I asked my mom to buy me the CD with the guy/kid on the cover in a pool (I didn't know the band's name back then) and when I came home I found the CD sitting on my kitchen table. I quickly ran up to my room and popped it in only to be like "what the heck is this!?" - my mom bought me Off the Deep End by Weird Al. (-_-)

Tapatapa?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "Negative Creep" comes on the radio yesterday.
    my friend - "I cant imagine making this song and thinking it was good."
    me - "You know who this is?"
    friend - "no"
    me - "it's Nirvana, from their first album"
    Friend - "wow, they got way better."

I always liked Bleach and felt it fit with the other albums. How do you guys like it?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    bleach is the only record of theirs that more or less fits the original grunge sound (i mean the original seattle/alternative mish-mosh as opposed to the media's overhyped take on the genre), while cobain explored more pop and experimental influences for the follow-ups. rough and tumble...hit and miss, but enough great stuff to make for an enjoyable listen. 'blew' and 'school' are favorites.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I love all of Bleach. And Nevermind.

If I was pressed to name the least favorite, it'd be In Utero.

edit: re above post: I don't think you can get any more 'pop' than "About A Girl."
    Last edited by allegro; 01-12-2012 at 06:45 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    p.s. After recently chatting with a 20-something law clerk who I considered fairly knowledgeable about various music and finding that he'd never seen Cameron Crowe's "Singles" -- I highly recommend it, for, um, I'm not sure why but I've seen it about 900 times. Not that Nirvana appears in it, but, well, you know.

Um, here's what Nirvana thought:
    Last edited by allegro; 01-12-2012 at 06:59 PM.