Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Nirvana

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    It sounds good, but can someone tell me what the story is behind this and what/who was involved in making it the "2013 mix," because it shies away from Albini's choices.
    Albini was actually behind the new mix.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Albini was actually behind the new mix.
    THAT is incredibly interesting

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Yes Albini remixed the album with Krist and I think Dave was there also but not sure. Krist said in some interview that it was done to hear the record "from another angle" or something. I can't remember the exact quote. It's an interesting listen but solidifies the original mix as the definitive version in my opinion. Which is ironic considering the history of this record and the label having issues with the raw sound back in '93 and even Kurt being dissatisfied with a couple tracks and remixing them with Scott Litt. Seems they made all the right choices in the end. In Utero is easily my favorite Nirvana record.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This is a good interview with Albini about the whole reissue project: http://vishkhanna.com/2013/08/16/ep-24-steve-albini/

But yeah, the idea behind this new mix was to use parts and ideas left behind on the original mix, so alt. takes and stuff. It's not a new definitive mix (that's still the original version), it's just a different take on what could have been.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    ^^ Out of curiosity, were you around (and old enough to be fully aware of the general hair metal music crap scene) when Nevermind came out? And the impact it had? The HUGE impact it had?

At the time, I thought Nirvana was sent by Jesus to save rock.

Seriously, even MTV completely changed. The video for "Smells Like Teen Spirit," with the cheerleaders with hairy armpits and all that? It was, like, HOLY FUCK, TOTO, WE AIN'T IN WHITE SNAKE KANSAS, ANYMORE.

I mean, really, THIS in 1992, unless you were there, you cannot possibly imagine:

Kurt was fucking brilliant. If you have any doubts, read his journals. It's one of my favorite books.
    Hey allegro, I remember when the book came out but it didn't catch my interest, but your comment makes me want to read it. Care to elaborate more on the book?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    They are up for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year right? Wonder what they do as far as performance. Dave Krist and pat come out and jam alone? Guest singer?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'm sure the singer will be PJ Harvey. At least Dave would like her to sing Milk It.

In other news: in April we'll get a Pennyroyal Tea 7" single for RSD2014. A single that only exists officially on CD (in very limited quantities) now finally get a vinyl release, hell yeah!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Paul McCartney.
    Or, what if Dave himself will sing and Chad Channing play drums?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    The All Apologies demo on this release has such a different vibe.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    kids today don't give a fuck about nirvana
    That's just not true. Nirvana and Kurt Cobain are arguably as relevant today as they were in 1994. They've been frozen in amber.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    That's just not true. Nirvana and Kurt Cobain are arguably as relevant today as they were in 1994. They've been frozen in amber.
    That's just not true.
    its all good, dude
    I just don't see it
    the whole grunge thing has been exposed as the incredibly vapid, shallow thing it was

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    its all good, dude
    I just don't see it
    the whole grunge thing has been exposed as the incredibly vapid, shallow thing it was
    I wouldn't say that it was was grunge that was vapid and shallow. Any "Scene" or "sound" that blows up on a mass marketing shopping mall scale is fated to become a vapid shallow thing.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    I think Nirvana's one of those weird groups where they transcend the same genre they define. They're the most obvious go-to example of grunge, and yet there are tons of people who listen to them and don't know/care at all about the larger genre, because the band has just become way, way bigger than that. (See also: massive attack vs. triphop; nine inch nails vs. industrial, etc).

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    So from the looks of it, especially in the Controversial Music Opinions Thread, it seems like a lot of people on ETS also love In Utero. Bleach has also grown on me a lot, but I'll still admit that it's sometimes hard for me choose in between each album. However, there also seem to be exceptions with Nirvana fans that also prefer Incesticide the most.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 02-27-2014 at 04:12 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    For me, In Utero is one of the greatest rock albums... forget grunge... Rock.
    The best production ever on a rock record, like you are in the room with the band.
    So raw and present.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    The best production ever on a rock record, like you are in the room with the band.
    So raw and present.
    Well said.

Of their three albums, it's really a toss-up between Nevermind and In Utero. Bleach is great too, but Cobain had yet to reach his full potential.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I gotta agree... I think Nirvana was only at the beginning. If Kurt Cobain was still alive, I think we would have gotten a much more matured body of work as they went along. I think the MTV Unplugged concert showed that they were still growing and rediscovering themselves. I heard how Kurt wanted to do a more acoustic/less noisy type of album. It's a shame... yes, they did deliver four great albums (coming from a fan of the big 4: Bleach, Nevermind, Incesticide, & In Utero)... but I think we only had just scratched the service of who Kurt Cobain was and what Nirvana could have become. I imagined a follow up to In Utero would have been drastically different and would have divided fans just as In Utero did with fans expecting another Nevermind album.

In Utero may be my favorite album... but my favorite track from them actually comes from Incesticide... and I believe this track shows they can be much, much more than some noisy screaming makes no sense grunge group... and that song is AERO ZEPPELIN

Find it funny that in this video's description, uploader wrote "Grunge Forever!" since this song is far, far, far, far, far, farfarfarfar, far from being a grunge track.

AERO ZEPPELIN

oh man! for a song from back in '92, gotta love the quick double pedals in this one before double pedals became the norm in rock, especially metal.
    actually according from Wiki's info... this track is from an '88 studio demo tape with Dale Crover on drums and produced by Jack Endino who produced Bleach with them.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Yes. It was on Pitchfork and other sites this morning.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Kudos to Grohl for giving props to the former drummers of the band, unlike the Hall......

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Kim Gordon is 61 and she was totally sexy and did a great job on Aneurysm.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    From what I've seen on YouTube all of the singers did a great job, but Kim Gordon's performance was really something else. She's still got it in spades.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xmd 5a View Post
    From what I've seen on YouTube all of the singers did a great job, but Kim Gordon's performance was really something else. She's still got it in spades.
    HBO is showing the 2014 Hall of Fame induction ceremony and I missed most of it and happened to come in halfway through Joan Jett singing Smells Like Teen Spirit (which I thought was great, btw) but, yeah, Kim totally killed this, hilariously.

I DVRd the 6/3 10 pm broadcast.

Jesus Christ, Dave is such a great fucking drummer.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I saw some of the induction ceremony. I'm glad Dave thanked the other drummers who came before him as it was acknowledgement of their contributions as Chad Channing deserves to be inducted. I didn't see Kim Gordon sing but I did see Joan Jett, St. Vincent, and Lorde as they were really damn good.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I saw some of the induction ceremony. I'm glad Dave thanked the other drummers who came before him as it was acknowledgement of their contributions as Chad Channing deserves to be inducted. I didn't see Kim Gordon sing but I did see Joan Jett, St. Vincent, and Lorde as they were really damn good.
    Channing should have been inducted. The Rock N' Roll HOF is kind of arbitrary with regard to which band members are inducted. For example, with the RHCP, why was Josh Klinghoffer inducted, even though he's only been with them for a few years and only played on one (forgettable) album, yet Dave Navarro was not inducted? (and he actually had a hit album with the band).

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Channing should have been inducted. The Rock N' Roll HOF is kind of arbitrary with regard to which band members are inducted. For example, with the RHCP, why was Josh Klinghoffer inducted, even though he's only been with them for a few years and only played on one (forgettable) album, yet Dave Navarro was not inducted? (and he actually had a hit album with the band).
    Every fucking member of the Dead were inducted. Yet two current members of Kiss weren't inducted.

Really, the HoF is a joke. It's not like the baseball HoF or anything like that. It's not an honor, it's just a bunch of suits bringing in a bunch of cash at a shitty museum that's like a giant Hard Rock Cafe. HOWEVER, I watched it for the performance.

My husband commented that Kurt would've thought this was all really stupid, and he's probably right.

Kurt's daughter didn't bother showing up.

(neither did Johnny Rotten when the Sex Pistols were inducted).
    Last edited by allegro; 06-02-2014 at 09:47 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Actually, none of the Sex Pistols showed up when they got inducted. It just goes to show how much of a joke the ceremony is.

Yeah, Kurt wouldn't have done it and he wouldn't even bother wear a tux.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Actually, none of the Sex Pistols showed up when they got inducted. It just goes to show how much of a joke the ceremony is.

Yeah, Kurt wouldn't have done it and he wouldn't even bother wear a tux.
    True, I meant to say all of the Sex Pistols, and Johhny faxed a hilarious note!! The whole thing is stupid. Mostly the "Hall" ugh really stupid.

List of No Shows
    Last edited by allegro; 06-03-2014 at 09:51 AM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Seeing Kim Gordon thrash her way through Aneurysm on the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame reunion was not only probably the most punk thing that will happen all year, but also makes me think that a full length Nirvana album fronted by her would actually be a pretty cool thing were that to ever even be a thing. Annie Clark also did a really good job. Can't wait to see that whole secret Bar show get released. Now I'm oozing with anticipation to hear Kim Gordon do Moist Vagina.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Seeing Kim Gordon thrash her way through Aneurysm on the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame reunion was not only probably the most punk thing that will happen all year, but also makes me think that a full length Nirvana album fronted by her would actually be a pretty cool thing were that to ever even be a thing. Annie Clark also did a really good job. Can't wait to see that whole secret Bar show get released. Now I'm oozing with anticipation to hear Kim Gordon do Moist Vagina.
    In the meantime...