Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Nirvana

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The thing about Grunge is it was more of a scene then a genera. Nirvana didn't sound like Pearl Jam who didn't sound like STP, who didn't sound like Soundgarden, who didn't sound like AiC...etc

Imo, Nirvana was mostly a punk band with some hard rock and noise mixed in

Pearl Jam is just straight up classic rock as far as im concerned.

Stp is sorta a post grunge band but it has a lot of jazz, blues and psychedelia influences.

Soundgarden was like, Stoner, Doomy some of the times and the other was more metal influenced and riff heavy with some slight punk edge

AiC started as a glam metal band but quickly changed into this Sludgy, Doom and Gloom metal band but also has no problems busting out a meaningful acoustic song.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    I was going to start a thread about grunge, but I didn't want to sound like an uninformed idiot. I have been wondering about these things:
    Did grunge really die when Kurt Cobain left this earth or did it slowly fade away?
    Why is Kurt Cobain called the father of grunge when Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam were more commercially successful?
    Is grunge still a musical genre in the present tense as the wikipedia would like us to believe?
    If a lot of active bands are still drawing inspiration from the movement, is it possible that grunge never ended?
    I see it just the way @Dryalex12 put it.

It was more of a scene. Nirvana got and still get a lot of credit because they were the band we could call responsible for the shift in attention to what was going on musically. Before Nevermind, the under scene was already very vibrant, but it didnít have the mainstream media attention. Then Smells Like Teen Spirit and Nevermind came out and the rest is history.

I donít listen to the radio or actively look for new bands to listen to. Iím in a point where the new music I listen to is new to me, but was released 10-50something years ago. So I donít know if there is a scene, but there must be bands somewhere that are heavily influenced by the 90s ďgrunge bandsĒ.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    When I think "grunge" as a style of music (not a scene) I think Tad, Green River, Mudhoney, Nirvana and early Soundgarden.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I feel like even if those bands didn't sound alike musically, they still shared similar views on the world, art and - not the least - fame. And those views were expressed time and time again during interviews, actions and, of course, their music.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Francis Bean's doofus ex-husband gets to keep Kurt's guitar used from MTV unplugged.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...012236654.html

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Francis Bean's doofus ex-husband gets to keep Kurt's guitar used from MTV unplugged.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...012236654.html
    Well, that was a very stupid mistake of Frances or Courtney or whoever gave him the fucking guitar in the first place.

What a fucking cunt though... heís a gold digger, the lowest a man can be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That sucks

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Ugh..... that is awful.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    He'll sell it, it will end up behind glass somewhere