Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Better Call Saul

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Sooo, after just finishing Breaking Bad (HOLY SHIT) I am skeptical about BCS. Is this worth watching??
    Absolutely. It's not as heavy on the edge-of-your-seat suspense of Breaking Bad, but it's really good. Some were worried that it would ruin Breaking Bad, but for me, it's only enhanced the show by giving us more meat to chew on in regards to some of the characters that appear. Bob Odenkirk especially gets some good dramatic moments that you didn't get with him the first time around.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    The second season was kind of a drag, but the third kicked ass and im psyched for the 4th!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Sooo, after just finishing Breaking Bad (HOLY SHIT) I am skeptical about BCS. Is this worth watching??
    I suppose that depends on how much you like Saul (and Bob Odenkirk), but I would absolutely, most definitely recommend watching it. I personally have been enthralled with both shows right from the beginning, but I've heard others say that Better Call Saul dragged a bit for them in the beginning (or season 2, depending on who you ask). If that's the case, try to stick with it for a while because it's just building up and setting up things that will pay off handsomely later on. Vince Gilligan has certainly not forgotten how to make a fantastic drama laced with great comedy. This show also fleshes out a few characters who had rather minor roles in Breaking Bad. This is a prime example of the perfect way to handle a prequel, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I'm going to do a controversial opinion: i like "Better Call Saul" more than "Breaking Bad".

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I suppose that depends on how much you like Saul (and Bob Odenkirk), but I would absolutely, most definitely recommend watching it. I personally have been enthralled with both shows right from the beginning, but I've heard others say that Better Call Saul dragged a bit for them in the beginning (or season 2, depending on who you ask). If that's the case, try to stick with it for a while because it's just building up and setting up things that will pay off handsomely later on. Vince Gilligan has certainly not forgotten how to make a fantastic drama laced with great comedy. This show also fleshes out a few characters who had rather minor roles in Breaking Bad. This is a prime example of the perfect way to handle a prequel, in my opinion.
    Thanks for the replies. I fell in love with his character pretty much on first appearance in Breaking Bad and did like that he wasn't overused there. I have heard mixed opinions on BCS, plus hearing about the slow burn in the beginning, but I think I'll check it out.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I'm going to do a controversial opinion: i like "Better Call Saul" more than "Breaking Bad".
    I'm with you. I absolutely HATED Walter White from the get-go, and by the end of season one I thought he was such an idiot that I just couldn't get behind the show.

While James / Jimmy / Saul isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed either, I at least felt like I understood why he would do (most) of the things he did, which made the show more interesting to me.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I'm with you. I absolutely HATED Walter White from the get-go, and by the end of season one I thought he was such an idiot that I just couldn't get behind the show.

While James / Jimmy / Saul isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed either, I at least felt like I understood why he would do (most) of the things he did, which made the show more interesting to me.
    To me Jimmy is far more relatable than Walter White; Walter does it for his family and then because he's selfish, but Jimmy tries and tries and finds out that he's a natural crook; it's very interesting how he slowly became "Saul" instead of forcing himself to "Break Bad".

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Both characters "break bad" slowly over a long course of time, but Jimmy/Saul is more likeable, relatable, and sympathetic because he actually tries to be a good person and do things the "right" way, but when that ultimately fails, he resorts to what he's good at. He has more empathy for the people in his life and the people affected by his decisions and/or actions, whereas Walt enjoyed being Heisenberg and was usually fairly indifferent about the impact his crimes had on others. He reveled in playing that character he'd created for himself like he was living out a fantasy. Both are very fun to watch, though!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'm gonna be controversial and say I love them both equally. Both are amazing shows and happy we have them. It's actually quite astounding what Vince Gilligan has pulled off here with these shows.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    A Candid Conversation With Vince Gilligan on ‘Better Call Saul’

“I run into people every day now who say ‘Better Call Saul’ is their favorite of the two,” says the creator of ‘Breaking Bad’ spinoff. “I love hearing that.”

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    This season is off to a great start too.

Honestly, I feel like I enjoy Mike's story more than I enjoy Saul's story. Mike's story is a fantastic piece of storytelling. Can't wait to see the fallout from him actually doing the job that he's been hired to do.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    just finished S3 - awesome. Now I want to watch S4 and I see that they drip drip one episode a week. Gah, just release it altogether already so I can bingewatch.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Season 4 has been great so far, poor Nacho...

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    not feeling S4 that much so far, feels a bit filler-ish. I think the Chuck/Jimmy storyline was the engine of seasons 1-3...and now it seems like it's veering into the direction of being a Breaking Bad prequel. I mean watching them build the underground meth lab bunker is practically...literally scraping the barrel.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    not feeling S4 that much so far, feels a bit filler-ish. I think the Chuck/Jimmy storyline was the engine of seasons 1-3...and now it seems like it's veering into the direction of being a Breaking Bad prequel. I mean watching them build the underground meth lab bunker is practically...literally scraping the barrel.
    You mean it's not a Breaking Bad prequel?

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    what I mean is I liked the parts of BCS that have nothing to do with BB - Chuck/Jimmy, Jimmy/Kim, Howard, etc. I do like Mike's storylines, and seeing Hector and Gus is interesting, but with Lydia and Gale etc it's getting a bit too much: in other words what I like about BCS is that it's not freakin Breaking Bad. I want to see other storylines in that universe, not stuff that leads into BB. I want BCS to keep flying on its own wings and keep on resisting the temptation to play second fiddle to BB - because BCS so far has been a better show (and don't get me wrong, I'm a Breaking Bad fan).

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I’m watching but I feel less interested this season. It’s more about the Cartel and Mike than it is Saul. Eh.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    First three episodes were good, then last two felt a bit meh, but i still liked the Cartel shootout and the stuff with Mike.
    Jimmy's storyline is the one that feels with no direction, but i hope this will change soon...

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Boy is this season painful to watch,Spoiler: especially the way Jimmy is being set up for a big fall (and Gus too). It's really sad to see Kim slowly realize she wants out and the inevitability of it all unspooling in slow motion
    Last edited by aggroculture; 09-19-2018 at 08:44 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I loved the opening. When it started Spoiler: only using half the screen I thought something was wrong with my TV. It was attention grabbing, and got me wondering whether I was having technical difficulties, until the second half filled with the other shot of them brushing their teeth, and then I realized what exactly they were driving home. It was really well done.

The rest of the episode felt too slow to me though. Not a lot seemed to be happening.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Fantastic season finale. Spoilers just in case... Spoiler: Like Kim, I was completely fooled and totally believed Jimmy's speech at the end. Their relationship isn't going to last much longer because not only can she no longer tell when he's being sincere, he doesn't seem capable of feeling those emotions at all anymore. I wonder if Gus & Mike will get the first guy they auditioned for the super lab to finish it. I'm so pumped for the next season, it just kills me that we have to wait a year again. I'm also very interested in seeing what comes of the suspicious cab driver from episode 1. This show is about to completely overlap with Breaking Bad. I wonder if they'll have a scene with Crazy 8 working at the crib store and have Walt come in to buy a crib. Or have Jesse show up to buy drugs from Crazy 8 or someone in Nacho's crew. Maybe the DEA will show up at some point and Hank will get a cameo. Whatever happens will surely be great because the writing for this show is pretty much flawless and their attention to detail is astounding.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Fantastic season finale. Spoilers just in case... Spoiler: Like Kim, I was completely fooled and totally believed Jimmy's speech at the end. Their relationship isn't going to last much longer because not only can she no longer tell when he's being sincere, he doesn't seem capable of feeling those emotions at all anymore. I wonder if Gus & Mike will get the first guy they auditioned for the super lab to finish it. I'm so pumped for the next season, it just kills me that we have to wait a year again. I'm also very interested in seeing what comes of the suspicious cab driver from episode 1. This show is about to completely overlap with Breaking Bad. I wonder if they'll have a scene with Crazy 8 working at the crib store and have Walt come in to buy a crib. Or have Jesse show up to buy drugs from Crazy 8 or someone in Nacho's crew. Maybe the DEA will show up at some point and Hank will get a cameo. Whatever happens will surely be great because the writing for this show is pretty much flawless and their attention to detail is astounding.
    Spoiler: I think Gus versus Lalo with be a war that spills out of control thus getting attention from the police. I imagine next season will build up to a big showdown. Then at the end of the finale episode you're gonna see the aftermath of that showdown as the police and FBI investigating the crime scene and overhear the main investigator just showed up. That's when a black FBI SUV pulls up and you will see Hank and Gomez exit the vehicle. Be an awesome way to bring them into the show.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I really don't want Jimmy and Kim's relationship to end.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    I really don't want Jimmy and Kim's relationship to end.
    This times 100. I knew from the start it's doomed but I see Kim as the only one who truly accepts Jimmy no matter what.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Boy is this season painful to watch,Spoiler: especially the way Jimmy is being set up for a big fall (and Gus too). It's really sad to see Kim slowly realize she wants out and the inevitability of it all unspooling in slow motion
    it is definitely painful. I think it's meant to be a tragedy and expect it to get darker and darker. Breaking Bad was ultimately a tragedy as well, but I think BCS is going to be sadder.

I think it's the best show on TV at the moment, and, I'm with you @sonic_discord : I'm totally bummed that it'll be 42 weeks before we get to see another episode.

This show is the ultimate slow burn and it just gets better and better.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I didn't like this season much at all.

Spoiler: Too much of the Cartel and Mike. I swear this show would've been better titled Better Call Mike this year. Jimmy felt like a real after thought and with the exit of Chuck it also didn't help. The only thing I enjoy of this season was some of the banter between Kim and Jimmy along with the origin story of Tio with the stroke and wheelchair + bell.

I just hope we start aiming to Saul Goodman and the Breaking Bad universe really soon. Next year is season 5 and Breaking Bad was 5 seasons (6 if you REALLY wanna call the split parts 5 and 6) and to have a spin off and origin show last longer than its main property would be....weird.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    it definitely felt like a "bridge" season - a breather after the intensity of S3
    I thought the lab-digging subplot was a fail

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I'm kinda surprised that they didn't kill the other German guys.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    The Season was Ok, it was my least favorite, but a lot of interesting things happened.
    I loved the story between Kim and Jimmy and how him becoming Saul, it’s going to drive them apart.
    The laboratory subplot was “meh” at times, but I think it’s important to show it.
    I think the next season could easily be the last, most plots are reaching their climax and I don’t think they need more seasons to tell the whole story.

Oh and i can't this song out of my head...