Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Silent Hill

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Silent Hill

Now that Downpour is coming out in 2012, it better be AWESOME.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Now that Downpour is coming out in 2012, it better be AWESOME.
    I was actually really excited for that and pre-ordered it, since it looked like it was going back to the SH 1-2-3 roots. Then I was sad that it was delayed, but then I was okay with it meaning, they are taking their time to make it good.

Also HD collection is coming out in January too. too bad it is only 2 and 3. Where is my remastered original!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    It doesn't have Akira Yamaoka.

:/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DF118 View Post
    It doesn't have Akira Yamaoka.

:/
    It doesn't have a single member of the original team who created and developed Silent Hill...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    it also had Korn in the trailer.

I liked Homecoming though. I'll still get it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Way more excited about the HD collection of 2&3. Best games in the series for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Definitely getting Downpour. Homecoming wasn't great but I still enjoyed it. And it's Silent Hill, so you have to play it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil Dorbell View Post
    And it's Silent Hill, so you have to play it.
    Is it Silent Hill though? Can it really be considered a new instalment, when there's no input or inclusion from the original creators or developers of the series? It's like if Warner commissioned someone other than JK Rowling to write new sequels to Harry Potter. The team who have their hands on the series (eg, Tom Hullet, Vatra Games, etc) aren't the originators, nor have they ever been involved with them. That means that whatever direction Downpour and future titles take with the mythology and story are things that the original writers never intended for. It's made up, fan-fiction. These days, Konami pretty much pass the series around to all these different producers, so there's never any cohesion or narrative between titles anymore, whereas 1 to 4 were an episodic series. Without a cohesive group of members working on it, the series never actually ends up progressing. Argue all you want about the merits of Origins onwards, but the series has stagnated for years now. And (as I said) without any continuing members, Downpour and the like are on the same level as the Donnie Darko sequel or Star Wars fanfiction novels. These games have about as much relevance to Silent Hill as the sequels to The Crow did.

As far as I can see, there's no need to carry on making Silent Hill games. The series should have ended circa 2004, when it was still relevant and exciting. It's running the risk of becoming the Marilyn Manson of the gaming industry.
    Last edited by Trains; 12-08-2011 at 10:38 AM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    one of these days, i'll really get into this series. have always been interested, have the first for the original playstation. started playing it, but like most games, my time was limited and i got severely distracted, and by the time i returned to it, i had lost my momentum.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    People have been jocking this series' balls for a while. Never tried it. Figure ill play nuber 2 when hd collection comes out. Would that suffice?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This game was due to come out a few weeks or less after IGN posted up a damning preview which highlighted bugs and dull gameplay. Konami must have seen that, previews from other players and reacted, which is a good thing in my book. This is pretty much their last chance with this series so I am quietly hopeful that this will shake off the stigma the series got from Homecoming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I know people are skeptical about any of the games past 1-3, but I really enjoyed Shattered Memories for Wii, apart from the second game, I definitely felt that it had a much better story than 1 & 3.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Lots of previews went up for Downpour this last week.
    Everything is sounding a bit more promising. Fingers crossed eh?

The less said about the Vita game the better though... my thoughts are 'Why?'

Also, HD collections at the end of this month, I've been itching to revisit Silent Hill 2 for sometime, and am kinda glad I held out. It's a shame they didn't add The Room really as, while the game was slightly flawed, I really enjoyed it. It also doesn't work with my backward compatible ps3, so boo, Konami, boo.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Silent Hill 1, 2, and 3 may be great horror games, but I'm about as excited for a new entry in the series as I am for Hellraiser IX.

I am looking forward to the HD rereleases of 2 and 3 though. Though there's no way to just release an HD remake of 1. They would have to remake the game from the ground up. You can download the original from the Playstation store though.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Silent Hill 1, 2, and 3 may be great horror games, but I'm about as excited for a new entry in the series as I am for Hellraiser IX.

I am looking forward to the HD rereleases of 2 and 3 though. Though there's no way to just release an HD remake of 1. They would have to remake the game from the ground up. You can download the original from the Playstation store though.
    While it may look primitive, yeah, I think the first game still works, certainly in a horror suspense way, partly due to how it looks and controls. Shattered Memories was the re-imagining of this, though I never played it. Kinda interested, but not having a Wii certainly put it on the backburner.. maybe one day.

As for Downpour, I think my attitude towards it is partly due to just wanting another 8-10 hour fairly decent story driven adventure. As long as Korn don't make another appearance. I wouldn't call it excitement, but more, its on my radar of things to play.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Always been a massive fan, but yeah I've also become disenfranchised with the series, though this video for Downpour DOES look pretty damned cool.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Just pre-ordered the HD collection in the UK so god knows when it'll be out. Does anyone know if the Maria born from a wish extra game from SH2 is included?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I last heard the HD collection in the uk was 29th March.. I have it pre-ordered too. But alas I pre-ordered from Game so theres a 50/50 chance they won't stock it, what with their financial woes n all...
    IGNs review of Downpour was... not encouraging...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Played it for a while and IGN pretty much nailed it. I'm a big fan of the series and this is just another letdown like Homecoming was (and we all know how that ended up...what's it now at EB/GameStop?...$14.99 ??)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Thanks for info - what was wrong with Downpour? I quite liked Homecoming, I thought the combat was good once you got used to it and gave a sense of accomplishment and I liked the music and atmosphere. Nothing will come close to when I played the demo of Silent Hill 1 back in the 90s (I think the demo came with MGS1), it consisted of the alley scene and school, it was night I was drunk and was shit-my-pants scared

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    My biggest beef is the obvious one. I played it for maaaybe, 2 hours tops? Not once was it scary. Mind you I'm the same as you, when the first Silent Hill came out I was a lot younger and it scared me shitless and now I'm probably as jaded as you lol...but still. It's all about the scares and from what I played of Downpour, it had a few shocking moments but overall was just meh. Also, the weapons were a bit cumbersome and there's almost no fog! They just use rain now, but unlike the first few games where you were just surprised when BAM around the corner there was a monster...now you know you're safe until it rains. Then you know they're coming, so the element of surprise is kinda gone.

Just wait until it gets mad cheap like Homecoming.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^^sadly I was 24 or so when I played SH1 and STILL shit scared, SH2 was better though as the story was fantastic, and I even liked the voice acting (which was really naff in the first one but that's part of it's charm)

Anyway I'll deff buy Downpour but like you say, wait a while

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I love the Silent Hill games... but do agree that they should stop making more sequels.
    As for the HD transfers 2 & 3, how awesome would be if they remade the first game for the new gen systems.
    kinda like how they did the first Resident Evil for Gamecube... which by the way was the greatest graphics in any game I saw during that era of systems

Also, gotta give it up, Silent Hill was the best game to movie transfer ever. I can't wait for the sequel, but worried about how quiet they have been about it and I heard the movie company is forcing them to hold the movie back.

I'm all for a Silent Hill first game being remade with today's graphics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Damn, I was REALLY hoping for a great return to form with this one but from what I'm reading I don't think I'll be buying it.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    slightly better review : http://uk.gamespot.com/silent-hill-d...npour-6365602/
    me thinks I shall wait for the bargain bin. I'm always up for a good story, but if it plays bad it can really be a chore.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    So I've been playing the second one. Weird game. Some of the puzzles are kinda hard or mostly over my head. Canned juice. Really...?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    HD collection just came out but I'm broke as all hell... very high on my games I need to play list....

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I thought some of you guys might get a laugh outta this. I love every video these guys do, and they just started this game this week. They just uploaded part two, as well.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Just got an email from Amazon that the Silent Hill HD collection I'd preordered has been despatched at £20 - which is brilliant as I'd ordered it when it was £27 so the price came down. Can't wait to play this although I'm currently playing Bioshock 2 and don't get much more than an hour every few days to play games these days, still I make the most of my time given that I can't just play on till whenever I want to stop anymore

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Picked up the HD collection on PS3. I had never gotten around to playing SH2 or 3 back in the day, so I can't exactly compare it to the originals, but there's definitely some minor annoyances. The frame rate dips a lot (at least in SH2) and the fog effect looks sort of strange. Textures do look great though for the most part.

Not as scary as I was expecting though. Maybe it'll start to pick up after a few more hours? Just got to the hospital.