Page 19 of 39 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast

Thread: The Playstation Thread

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    I got my first PlayStation in 96 and it still works great (memory cards, controllers, games), the thing can’t be killed! I estimate 2000+ hours of gameplay on the machine easily.

I stood in line for 6 hours to buy my PlayStation2 launch day in 2000. It all still works great today.

I have had 3 PlayStation3s, and they have each died with under 500 cumulative hours of usage on any one of them, the most recent one lost was last week. I’m sitting on a small mountain of PS3 games that I’ve bought over the years and I’d love to play, but christ, it feels like I’m throwing money straight into the trash to buy yet another one of these things. Not to mention how much of a kick to the balls it is to have 60+ hours invested in a game and then out of the blue the PS dies taking your time with it. And they still want $270 for a new one. Maybe there will be some deals closer towards the holidays.

I’ll probably give the PS4 a few more years before I buy one.
    Do you know what the problem was with your old PS3s? I've only had the one, and the only issue I had was solved (after lots of research) by replacing the hard drive with one that was only 60 bucks and with 10 times the original hard drive's storage capacity. I'm going to assume you've already looked into repairs, but if you haven't, you might want to give that a shot! Get yourself a new hard drive and PS Plus, then you can store all your game saves on the cloud in case your drive fries again or your console gets eaten by a dinosaur or something.

Edit - Mind you, I have one of the old fat 40 GB models, so I don't know if you could do the same thing with any of the other models. I've gotten about 6 years of play out of it and only spent the 60-some bucks on repairs that were easy enough to do myself with no electronic repair experience.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 10-07-2014 at 07:01 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    I got my first PlayStation in 96 and it still works great (memory cards, controllers, games), the thing can’t be killed! I estimate 2000+ hours of gameplay on the machine easily.

I stood in line for 6 hours to buy my PlayStation2 launch day in 2000. It all still works great today.

I have had 3 PlayStation3s, and they have each died with under 500 cumulative hours of usage on any one of them, the most recent one lost was last week. I’m sitting on a small mountain of PS3 games that I’ve bought over the years and I’d love to play, but christ, it feels like I’m throwing money straight into the trash to buy yet another one of these things. Not to mention how much of a kick to the balls it is to have 60+ hours invested in a game and then out of the blue the PS dies taking your time with it. And they still want $270 for a new one. Maybe there will be some deals closer towards the holidays.

I’ll probably give the PS4 a few more years before I buy one.
    Ummm, I don't know. I still have a Commodore 128 that works great, and I'm about to turn it into an awesome synthesizer... and that's something that was printed in the mid 80s and saw endless use before it was filed away into a dust filled cabinet for about ten years with about a hundred pounds of junk sitting on top of it.

These newer systems are more powerful, they're doing a lot more with what they are capable of. However, I just got a PS4 and I'm not blown away at this point. It doesn't seem THAT much more impressive than the PS3. You might as well wait until the great games start coming out... which is in about 4 months.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    Do you know what the problem was with your old PS3s?
    Here is the most recent one to die.

This is what it does.

I believe this is what is known as the Yellow Light of Death. This was the exact same issue with the two before.
    Hopefully I can get a deal on a new ps3 around black Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    …I just got a PS4 and I'm not blown away at this point. It doesn't seem THAT much more impressive than the PS3. You might as well wait until the great games start coming out... which is in about 4 months.
    I’m sure the ps4 and xbone will both be great game consoles eventually but yeah, I’ll wait for it. The games really do make all the difference.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Pretty much the best thing about having a PS4 since launch has been keeping my PSplus sub and the ps3 cross buys (as I lost my ps3 in a rather messy situation) so I now have all the quirky indie titles I was enjoying on ps3, Minecraft for when my brain wants to take a holiday and lots of little games I can jump into whenever. Not the most high praise, but it all works and I'm enjoying Destiny too, much more than Killzone.. but yeah, I don't see any of the big xmas games catching my eye, Bloodborne in Feb. Then again I was saying the other day to a friend I'm pretty much bored of games lately, very few hold my attention, so yeahhh...

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I knew that would raise hell.

I wouldn't go so far to say they are PAYING developers to make it match both consoles. I know Microsoft has money to burn but if you honestly think that they are doing that to "one up PS" then I say nuts to that. I'm sure Ubisoft did it on their own accord to make it similar to both platforms. No reason why they did that. Besides EA, Ubisoft are the worst when it comes to games. They make stupid decisions a lot, this is nothing new.

As for 1080p, tons of Xbox One games are and will be.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I knew that would raise hell.

I wouldn't go so far to say they are PAYING developers to make it match both consoles. I know Microsoft has money to burn but if you honestly think that they are doing that to "one up PS" then I say nuts to that. I'm sure Ubisoft did it on their own accord to make it similar to both platforms. No reason why they did that. Besides EA, Ubisoft are the worst when it comes to games. They make stupid decisions a lot, this is nothing new.

As for 1080p, tons of Xbox One games are and will be.
    It makes no sense for Ubisoft to do it. They are basically making the PS4 version run at an inferior resolution than it is capable of. The only one who comes out of this with something to gain is Microsoft... so people won't be pointing out that the PS4 version is 1080p while the Xbox one isn't.

Sure, there's lots of games that run at 1080p on the Xbone. There's a lot of games that run at 1080p on the Wii U. It's all about the demands of the software. There were games that ran at 1080p on the PS3 and 360.

Microsoft has paid for all sorts of bullshit to one-up the competition. Whenever a company (Sony or Microsoft) pays for exclusivity of any kind, they are doing so to one-up the competition. It's not far fetched. What is far-fetched is the idea that Ubisoft actually decided to have one version of their game run at a lower resolution because they believe in fairness and some other hippie bullshit. We don't have proof that they paid for this here, but they aren't required to disclose that fact, and Ubisoft may be contractually required to never admit it. But really, it is the most likely thing. MS has paid to have companies cancel development on the PS3 version of their games before. Is this really much more extreme?
    Last edited by Jinsai; 10-11-2014 at 09:56 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    uh... WHY does the PS4 not support AUDIO CDs?!

What in the actual fuck?! I didn't buy it to have a CD player, but there is NO reason it shouldn't support the ability to play them. I'm actually shocked by this.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Firmware update on Tue should fix this, I think.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Been having problems getting into my library. Hopefully they fix that in the update.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Will someone please save the racing genre for PS4 please?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruised View Post
    You are going to have to wait until Gran Turismo 7. I am not a big racing fan by any means but I was sorta of excited to get my hands on Driveclub (PS Plus version) since I played it at PAX a couple years ago and thought it was okay and had fun playing, but well that game went to shit pretty fast. I played the Crew also at PAX a couple years and it didn't really do anything for me but who knows how much they have updated the game since then. Honestly though to get a racing game fix I'll just wait for Gran Turismo to make its PS4 debut thought I reckon that will probably not be until late next year at the earliest.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I was with PlayStation since beginning, PS, smaller PS, PS2, smaller PS2, PSP, PS3, Vita, but it's over. Remember how consoles were about inserting perfectly tested disc and just playing? How each console had something exciting and useful like super power and DVD player (PS2)? It's all gone now, new consoles are just stinking slow x86 PCs with all the updates and frame drops and beta versions sold for full price and I already have that in PC. :-) There were beautiful times, like Ratchet&Clank or TimeSplitters 2 on PS2, Journey and GT6 on PS3... I'm into racing, so the future is Assetto Corsa for me. So, thank you and go to hell, "consoles".

Also, in my country (Slovakia) you pay full price, but can't use most of the multimedia online stuff. It's 2014 FFS.

Update: And what about the wheels (I mean the controller for cars), you want me to buy a new one? No way.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruised View Post
    Just as a point, while DriveClub has had awful launch woes, I played it at a friends and was actually quite impressed. If the network woes subside, I will at least be playing with the Plus version. The handling is nice and easy to get to grips with, without being simple. Sadly, no, its not Forza or Gran Turismo. I really miss the TOCA Touring Car games.... And Wipeout...

GTAV comes out Tuesday, which I will be trading Destiny for, but otherwise.. thats like, it for games this year it feels. Unless some little PSN/indies are on the horizon (which you can never tell until the week before, which I actually kinda like). Next year is looking good, with Batman, Bloodborne, The Witcher, Tearaway (which I thought was this year but has been sadly quiet, I bloody LOVED it on Vita) in the first few months.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I thought the Need for Speed game was supposed to be good?

Anyway, racing isn't really my genre. I do wish they made a Wipeout game though for PS4.

I'm really apprehensive about Little Big Planet 3, and I'm hoping it isn't a disaster... but the lack of hype/advertising and the fact that the team developing it is completely different is troubling. The free PS+ indie game for next month is supposedly Secret Ponchos, which actually looks pretty great. Other than that... Geometry Wars 3? Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris?

Actually... I'd never heard of this game, but Dreamfall Chapters looks pretty interesting.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

The Playstation Thread

I thought the Need for Speed game was supposed to be good? .
    I liked Rivals quite a bit. I don't play many racing games but I thought it was good.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Yeah, no GT7 for a long while. That game is loads fun, but since it's a simulator, it doesn't really have the right real/arcade balance to make it awesome for me. I really like Grid, and the first Dirt game - Codemasters seem to know what's up with racing. They're focused on F1 right now which is awesome (huge F1 fan). DriveClub is great too, it just sucks that the whole thing has been a mess so far. You won't be getting a plus version of that game for a while, it's been postponed. The Crew is just like next-gem Cruisin USA haha

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    can anyone tell me why the PS4 doesn't play PS1 games or PS1 classics that I've bought on the online store? I'd extend this to ask why PS2 games don't work, but I guess baby steps. There's no justifiable reason why there's no support for digitally purchased PS1 content.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    no idea, its a sucky thing, I've got so many psx games on my psn account and the only way to play them is on the Vita.. which is great from a portable point of view, but yes. There is no reason the emulator package shouldn't work on the Ps4. Just dev time I guess.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    can anyone tell me why the PS4 doesn't play PS1 games or PS1 classics that I've bought on the online store? I'd extend this to ask why PS2 games don't work, but I guess baby steps. There's no justifiable reason why there's no support for digitally purchased PS1 content.
    obviously, theirs a big financial incentive for them to offer that support and the ability to purchase those old games. They recognized it in the previous generation so i can only think of two reasons they might be this way.

Sony views its streaming service as its new avenue of support for its older platforms. If this is the case, the inevitable failure of the service will probably give way to the emulation that we are used to.

Or,

The PS4 architecture is just THAT different from PS3 and theyve placed their priorities elsewhere for the time being.

Interesting problem for this generation to have, as back wards compatability would be a killing blow against microsoft, or in microsofts case could persuade people to opt for their platform instead.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    obviously, theirs a big financial incentive for them to offer that support and the ability to purchase those old games. They recognized it in the previous generation so i can only think of two reasons they might be this way.

Sony views its streaming service as its new avenue of support for its older platforms. If this is the case, the inevitable failure of the service will probably give way to the emulation that we are used to.

Or,

The PS4 architecture is just THAT different from PS3 and theyve placed their priorities elsewhere for the time being.

Interesting problem for this generation to have, as back wards compatability would be a killing blow against microsoft, or in microsofts case could persuade people to opt for their platform instead.
    Both systems are stupid to not include downloadable backwards compatibility. Discs sure, I understand but digital content and games? nah.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    It is baffling especially considering the number one thing i hear when refusing to make the jump is " i would get one but i cant play my old games on it". They are ignoring a sea of revenue and its so wierd to me because "because money" is usually the best explanation for stupid shit.... But here it makes no sense to me at all.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    On the subject of reverse-compatibility, one of the major things that made the PS2 my personal favorite generation of game consoles was its reverse-compatibility with my PS1 games, that and its own great library of games. With that reverse-compatibility feature in the PS2 Sony felt like it was in a tangible way rewarding brand loyalty, or giving incentive to stick with the PS.

So yeah, if I want to play those older titles again but on a newer console, requiring me to again purchase games in a digital format, games that I already physically own, somehow just doesn’t feel like my loyalty is being rewarded anymore.

Then there are the inevitable douchebaggery comments of “quit your complaining, you’re not entitled to the reverse-compatibility.” So be it. Sony and Microsoft are at liberty to design their consoles as they see fit. But at the same time they are not entitled to my money, I’m not going to buy the same games over again. I’m just saying that I would be willing to shell out more money for the console itself if they gave the option of one that was reverse-compatible with the extensive library of older games that I already own.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Really wish PS4 was backwards compatible. Not very happy to have to buy another PS3 to play games I bought, that I can't play until I replace the console. I accept it though...

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Really wish PS4 was backwards compatible. Not very happy to have to buy another PS3 to play games I bought, that I can't play until I replace the console. I accept it though...
    I accept it for PS3, why not... I don't accept it for PS1, and digital PS1 content.

It's bullshit, and they need to start being called out for this. If the PS4 is not capable of running software that runs on the PSP, by all means, give me my fucking money back. Otherwise, implement support.

Also, if Secret Ponchos is a multiplayer-only game (BOO), then at least give us a tutorial or some kind of way to figure out how to play this fucking thing? Also, fuck this game. I was actually excited for this... Look, just at least tell me what my buttons do, I don't want to have to enter a multiplayer match and button smash to figure it out while people are running up to me and shooting me. Fuck. I'm so sick of multiplayer-only games.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 12-04-2014 at 02:51 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    In reality, I'm fine with it. I never traded my console like some did. It was right next to my ps4. All I had to do was turn on one. Just bitter because my ps3 went kaput.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Yeah I think it's stupid nothing is backwards compatible but it's never effected me cause I don't get rid of my old consoles

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Mmmm that limited edition 20th anniversary PS4 with the PS1 color scheme and design is so awesome. I want it. Grrrr.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Next year....can't wait.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    All of these "FFVII announced at Playstation Experience omgwtf!!" announcements need to calm down. Nobody's that excited over the original, un-remade FF7 coming "exclusively" to PS4. I already have FF7, digitally and on-disc. Hell, I'm looking over at it right now.

Come on, guys. You know what the people want, and until you say it will never, EVER happen, people will still be hoping that it will. Personally, I feel like leaving FF7 completely alone is the best way to go, but I won't say that it couldn't be done properly with discretion.