Thread: 2014.08.02 - Holmdel, NJ @ PNC Bank Arts Center

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

2014.08.02 - Holmdel, NJ @ PNC Bank Arts Center

Holmdel, NJ

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

2014.08.02 - Holmdel, NJ @ PNC Bank Arts Center

Show was fantastic. My 20th and I guess possibly my last, my OCD thinks that's a pretty good number to end on.

Anyone know why the show was a little behind schedule? At least compared to Camden it was.
    Last edited by kdrcraig; 08-03-2014 at 09:01 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    Anyone know why the show was a little behind schedule? Ate least compared to Camden it was.
    Seems like soundcheck ran late which pushed everything back a bit.

As for this show I thought it was fantastic. Holmdel is one of the best sounding amphitheaters I've ever been to. Band sounded great. Robin was entertaining. Loved it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great time - great show. I really like the 4-piece, but damn if TR's not making Ilan WORK on this tour . Would have loved to have seen Black Noise live again, but the energy was non-stop for the entire set.

Hurt was not made for clapping - damn you all.

Chris Cornell's voice was stellar - I had never seen Soundgarden live and I thought they were great. Highlights were Outshined and Jesus Christ pose, but my god to able to sing that entire set and still be able to close with Beyond the Wheel - THRILLED I was able to see Cornell live.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I fucking hate it when people start clapping during Hurt... And it's always those same fucks who have just stood there for the rest of the show.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I was surprised pretty much everyone clapped on beat the first time, they failed miserably the second time.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    i dunno if it was soundcheck issue or not, but the show started promptly at 7pm like all he others. It seemed like they took an extra 20 minutes or so after DEP to put up that black curtain, just so it could come down during Searching..., and the 9 people on stage could run off with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This was my 21st show, 19 and 20 being Camden and Jones Beach respectively. It was a little bittersweet I guess. The band sounded great, and they were on point the whole show. I was on the lawn but had a nice side view on the railing that led to the Citi Private Pass area. For the most part the crowd around me was alright, there was one ass who complained during Disappointed saying this is what happens to old bands, this sucks, etc. etc. Luckily that was the most I heard of him because I wasn't going to deal with that during every song. And of course he went crazy for Closer, Wish and Head Like A Hole.
    Camden was definitely the better show of the 3 setlist wise and even at that show I felt like there weren't many surprises in the setlist, that's what I get for looking at European setlists this year I guess. The big surprise of the night for me was not even one song different from the night before in Jones Beach. This is the first time I've ever seen two identical NIN shows and it was little shocking. I was hoping for maybe at least Reptile or Me, I'm Not.
    Anyway that's my only complaint I guess, this tour looked and sounded awesome. DEP were good (had seen them before opening for Deftones). Soundgarden was good all 3 nights, probably best at PNC and the crowd loved em too. I'm just surprised that they had more of a setlist change from Jones Beach to PNC than NIN did. Until we meet again Trent and co. It's been real

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Arrived late due to family issues and missed most of DEP (However, 5 minutes of DEP still beats Oneohtrix).

Soundgarden sounded FAR better than they did in Camden, I felt Cornell's vocals got very lost in Camden. And Cornell got the audience going at least a little bit this time. Still, not a lot of stage presence, but more on-stage chemistry than the none they had in Camden.

NIN sounded great and played a great set. The crowd was fantastic, production was great, really no complaints besides the setlist being a little uninspired. It's strange that the Camden show got something different and none of the other shows seem to, although it worked out for me obviously. I continue to be impressed by how much they packed into their much smaller setup for this tour in terms of visuals.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by demgoth View Post
    This was my 21st show, 19 and 20 being Camden and Jones Beach respectively. It was a little bittersweet I guess. The band sounded great, and they were on point the whole show. I was on the lawn but had a nice side view on the railing that led to the Citi Private Pass area. For the most part the crowd around me was alright, there was one ass who complained during Disappointed saying this is what happens to old bands, this sucks, etc. etc. Luckily that was the most I heard of him because I wasn't going to deal with that during every song. And of course he went crazy for Closer, Wish and Head Like A Hole.
    Camden was definitely the better show of the 3 setlist wise and even at that show I felt like there weren't many surprises in the setlist, that's what I get for looking at European setlists this year I guess. The big surprise of the night for me was not even one song different from the night before in Jones Beach. This is the first time I've ever seen two identical NIN shows and it was little shocking. I was hoping for maybe at least Reptile or Me, I'm Not.
    Anyway that's my only complaint I guess, this tour looked and sounded awesome. DEP were good (had seen them before opening for Deftones). Soundgarden was good all 3 nights, probably best at PNC and the crowd loved em too. I'm just surprised that they had more of a setlist change from Jones Beach to PNC than NIN did. Until we meet again Trent and co. It's been real

Like you, I have seen all three shows (Camden, Jones Beach and Holmdel), and I agree with you that Camden's was the best. I was also surprised that the Jones Beach's show and last night's show had the same set list. I was expecting an extra song before Hurt.

Last nights show was the best I've seen Soundgarden. The other two shows Chris seemed kind of bored, but last night he really sang it out. I loved "Fell on Black Days".

The whole clapping bit: why is it so hard?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Enjoyed the show, was happy I got to see DEP they were really good. Obviously playing to a half empty amphitheater isn't in their wheelhouse, but they had a ton of energy.

NIN was great of course, but c'mon the same exact setlist as the night before? Would've loved just one or two songs to be different, atleast we heard Trent talk a little bit at this show as he did band introductions. It's going to be interesting to see when the next time NIN tours, I know this won't be the last time I ever see them, but it could be a little while.

In comparison to the night before, you can't beat the scenery at Jones Beach, but the sound at PNC is much better, always making it a great place to see a show.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    DEP are certainly LOUD, but entertaining! I thought Soundgarden sounded fantastic last night. Was really hoping for Me,I'm Not or Reptile last night but awesome show as always! I will never get tired of watching TR walk out nonchalantly while the house lights are still on. Definitely not a fan of these seated venues. It just makes me so mad seeing people front row that clearly could give a fuck if they were there.

Did anyone catch what TR said before the introductions? I was in 102 row D and couldn't understand anything he said.
    Last edited by JML9; 08-03-2014 at 04:32 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    One thing I gotta say about Hurt, that was probably the most powerful performance of it I've seen. It seemed like every person in that place was singing the chorus, it was so loud and awesome.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JML9 View Post
    Did anyone catch what TR said before the introductions? I was in 102 row D and couldn't understand anything he said.
    Something to the effect of.
    Thank you for coming. I don't know when the next time we will be back is.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I am so sad that they were set to do the cooler setlist and then changed it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RJK View Post
    Something to the effect of.
    Thank you for coming. I don't know when the next time we will be back is.
    Ah, thank you!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Show #11 for me (third time in Holmdel), and that includes Made in America and Tension 2013. I honestly didn't mind the fact that the setlist was practically identical to a year ago. I'm a fan of live music, and to be honest with you, I dont remember the show verbatim from Philly. Maybe its a sign of my age. If the internet wasn't around, all shows would be new to me. Of course, there were songs I wanted to hear, but I digress.

PNC has always been one of my favorite venues. Great sound. Great atmosphere, and bands generally seem to enjoy playing there. Caught the last half of DEP. Not that big of a fan, but they formed and recorded where I grew up. Some of the guys that I was tailgating with knew them years ago and had some stories to tell about them. One was about recording and how it was going slow, then my buddy bought some pizza and the album was recorded in the next couple hours. I left out a couple details, but it was one of those stories that you had to be there. Anyway, they seemed to be having a good time on stage, maybe a little loud for me, but I did enjoy One of Us is the Killer, since that is one of the few songs they played that I knew.

As for Soundgarden, they were the scene when I was in college, along with NIN, Pearl Jam, AIC, Pumpkins, etc. Soundgarden was the one band I never saw, so I was excited for that. Irregardless of the reviews I read previously, I thought they sounded great. As for the visuals, I think some are comparing apples to oranges since we are all aware of the NIN stage show. Thought the whole opening of the curtain was a little weird with ten people pulling it down, and it kinda killed the opening. No big deal that they played the 'hits' since this was my first time. The Day I Tried to Live, My Wave, Outshined, Jesus Christ Pose, Fell On Black Days, Superunknown, Rusty Cage, Behind the Wheel - loved them all. Crowd seemed to feel the same way.

Knew NIN would open with Copy of A since the single light was there, yet not many people knew what was going on. Figured that. Sanctified sounded great, even though I listen to the live version at least twice a day anyway. MOTP is always a staple I enjoy, but I think I'm getting tired of Piggy. Closer seems to be the song that the majority of fans still seem to only know, given the presennce of a million cell phones in my sight line. Hate to say it, but Find My Way is my bathroom break song. Just can't really get into it. Yeah, I enjoyed the breakdown during TGD. Not gonna lie. Different. Eraser is always great. Funny how once Wish came on, I told my buddy that theres only four more songs after that one.

I'm not the best reviewer, not the uber fan like a lot of you, certainly haven't seen them as many times as some of you, but they are in my top two bands, along with Pearl Jam. This is the music from my college years, and it brings back great times and memories. Music changed back then. It was great.

All in all, great show. Glad I went. Can't wait for them to come around again.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    This show was awesome. I was on a road trip for a wrestling show with my friends in CT. (I'm from Pittsburgh) so, when my buddy gets there, he says "Steve, you're going to be jealous,..Russ is going to See NIN"..I was happy for him, and jealous indeed. I told him I wished I could go...then I thought about it...I asked Russ if he was coming back to CT that night or the following morning, he said yes..and I asked if I could go with him..he said that'd be badass if I could. I bought my ticket right then and there and drove down with him. Me not being from the area, I texted my New Jersey girl friend and told her to meet up...She drove an hour to see me..I missed all of DEP but I wasn't too upset, as I never see my girl. Then, we said goodbye until afterward we got food..but then the show ruled. I spent way too much money on a hoodie. and had a kickass sporadic weekend

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    any recordings for this show yet?

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Got this from Robin's guitar tech after the show. Cool to see all the different guitars he uses.

Also funny that I got it in Jersey and they used the exact same list as Jones Beach."Lung Igland"