Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Halt and Catch Fire - The Laptop MUST be < 15 lbs!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Halt and Catch Fire - The Laptop MUST be < 15 lbs!

New show on AMC. It's so 80s. So computery. And Trentemoller did the opening theme song. You can't go wrong, and I can't be the only person watching.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I gave up on this show three episodes in. I didn't like most of the characters except the sales engineer- Gordon (I think). The girl with the poufy
    blonde hair (what decade is this from?) is unconvincing as a real person and over the top. So is the main guy, can't remember his name.

Give me Silicon Valley.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I looked into this and didn't even commit to one episode. Too bland, boring and stagnant. No interest from me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'm a fan... I grew up in the BBS era, had a commodore 64 when I was kid, and also just read Masters of Doom (about iD software and the rise of their graphics engines) - so an 80's period piece about improving computers is right up my alley.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Well I guess we're on our own on the this one @Sebek ! haha

It took about three episodes to get going, but it's one of my favorite shows now.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Renewed for a second season, coming in Summer 2015.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    New season just started last Sunday. I was surprised when it was picked up... I really like this show but because of it's ratings I fear it's on borrowed time. Anyone else still watching the rise of the 80s PC generation?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    This is getting seriously good. (S02E06) Recommended.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Agreed!!! But I'm worried it's time is running short, ratings don't seem to have picked up from last year when they were bad. This show needs more word of mouth!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I had started watching it when it came to Netflix but absolutely hated the first episode so much that I just didn't bother with the rest. The show felt overly spoon feeding to the audience and seemed too over the top. But I went back to it about a month ago and worked through the first season. In all it wasn't all that bad and did keep my interest. As someone who worked for huge blue (not back then) I can see where the show gets its blue mafia approach to the computer business. It is fascinating seeing how the business was then to how it is now.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    I just watched the first two episodes. This show has potential. They also have a great selection of 80's punk. The punk girl is a pretty interesting character.
    The scene where she is rocking out to Bad Brains "because it helps her think" while the corporate legal guy is confused as hell was hilarious to me. For some reason, it made me think of @allegro ... which is probably really weird but whatever.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Also, fans of this should check out Mr Robot there is definitely some overlap in audience.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    This is worth it just to hear them say stupid shit like, "they broke into the autoexec.bat file!"
    Last edited by allegro; 08-28-2016 at 11:32 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    So... it's over? :-( Of the (few) series I watch this year, THIS was the best one for me.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    So... it's over? :-( Of the (few) series I watch this year, THIS was the best one for me.
    Yeah, actually, that was pretty good. Gordon's whole custom-built idea ended up being really true, that was really hip in the 90s for businesses.

Edit: My DVR cut off the last few seconds. Was Tom on the plane?

I just read that the two main guys (Gordon and Joe) are loosely based on the founders of Compaq.

The Compaq "portable" was my first computer at work, the thing weighed so fucking much I almost got a hernia hauling it out to the car.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-28-2016 at 11:32 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    If you thought this thread bump was a cancellation announcement of the poorly rated Halt & Catch Fire... you'd be wrong! AMC has done the right thing and renewed the show for it's 3rd season! Now do the right thing in turn by finally getting around to watching this gem.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/halt...mc-1201612957/

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Yay, there is S03E01! :-)

Edit: And also S03E02, and both are great. And I somehow forgot there is nice synth soundtrack in this.
    Last edited by Substance242; 08-25-2016 at 03:44 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Love this thing, if it wasn't for Stranger Things, the best series this year. The case when you can't figure out why you're seemingly the only one watching. :-)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Really enjoying this show - like Mad Men, I find every character to be endearing in their own special, heartbreaking way. The seamless transition from one tech venture to another every season makes for some compelling, dynamic storytelling on par with The Wire; the tech industry itself is a living, breathing character that constantly evolves.

Halt and Catch Fire will never be a ratings juggernaut, but I hope AMC sees the long-term value of a series like this. It has the potential to be a cult classic over time, something that will hopefully stave off cancellation.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Haven't watched the last two episodes yet -- incredible season so far! But bittersweet news... AMC is picking up H&CF for a fourth and final season. Glad they're letting it go out on their own terms, the character arcs here have been nothing short of amazing and I'm excited to see where the last season will take them.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Me and my girl were a little late to the party, but just binge watched all three seasons and we LOVE IT! Netflix had seasons 1 and 2 but not 3. Sadly AMC removed the episodes from their On Demand thru my cable company. So I had to do something that I never did before, I purchased it digitally on Amazon so we could watch season 3. We had to see what happened and couldn't wait for an eventual DVD or Netflix release. We ripped through season 3 in like 3 days lol.

My girl loved Mad Men, but said this show it much better. Definitely my top of AMC series along with Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Season 4 just started, yay! Final season. :-/

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Well tonight was devastating

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Damn... :-(

Spoiler: Because I did read previous comment before watching, I was afraid something will happen, that electricity, nothing, then bigger electricity, nothing... (I know it's silly, but reminded me some early South Park episode where Kenny was surviving all traps) Then why those dream-like lights... what's going on...? ;-(

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I hear ya @Substance242 , I felt a sense of dread throughout this season, especially this episode.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    So what do you think was Donna's big new idea?

Farewell Halt And Catch Fire, you will be missed.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Loved how the two of them worked together at phoenix, beautiful.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Gaahh, I was away for my honeymoon so I didn't have a chance to see this show off as it aired. I definitely had tears in my eyes as it ended. These characters turned into like family to me. Masterful show, and truly underrated. One of the my favorite of all time!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    After having a brief hiatus after cancelling cable, I finally binged the last two seasons on Netflix. Simply perfection.

Spoiler: Though I felt it was coming, Gordon’s death really got to me emotionally. It was so beautifully done. I couldn’t help but start crying after the end of that episode.

Very underappreciated show and cast. I feel like it began airing at the wrong time on AMC. Right near the end of Breaking Bad and in the midst of some of the better Walking Dead seasons.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Scoot McNairy in The Comey Rule reminded me of this show, how powerful the "Who needs a guy?" episode S04E07 was... still is.