Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: The Criterion Collection

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Not much in the way of extras, but I'm looking forward to the two Lady Snowblood films on Blu-ray.

I believe I own all of the samurai films that have made it to Blu-ray through Criterion... but where is Onibaba?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Inside Llewyn Davis is something I totally want and hope it's the start of many films by the Coen Brothers on Criterion. I'm eager to see the entire Lady Snowblood collection as well as My American Friend as I'm fond of Wim Wenders' films.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    So has anyone had a chance to watch the Mulholland Drive bluray yet? Mine finally arrived today and I'm stoked as fuck to throw it on tonight
    I'm getting my copy later this month for the Barnes & Noble Criterion DVD/Blu-Ray sale.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Mulholland Drive looks and sounds fucking outstanding.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I'm glad more Lynch is being added. But Werner Herzog is one of my favourite film makers along with Lynch and PTA. I wonder why his films aren't in the collection. I was reading it had to do with distribution. I would love for a collection of 5 films or so to be released with all the bonus material the Collection comes out with. I'll keep dreaming I guess.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    If anyone is interested, I have Bottle Rocket, The Darjeeling Limited, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Life Aquatic, Royal Tenenbaums, & Rushmore Criterion Blu-rays for sale. Pretty much all of the Wes Anderson Criterions, except for Moonrise Kingdom. Fantastic Mr. Fox and Bottle Rocket were only played once, the rest unplayed. Beside being opened, they are as good as new. Nothing missing, no marks on the discs. Look and play absolutely pristine. I can provide pictures and here's my eBay account... http://www.ebay.com/usr/mykeyz84 in case you want to see my history and that I'm not some bullshit artist. PM me if you're interested.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Sweet! They're running that sale again? I cleaned house the last time they ran it a few months back. There's at least six CC bluray sets I've been wanting
    I hope so. Mulholland Dr. isn't the only film I want. I want the Apu trilogy by Satyajit Ray and other Criterion DVDs.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

On the other hand, that scene in the Silencio theater when Rebekah Del Rio is belting out the spanish accapella version of 'Crying' and Betty and Rita are crying is absolutely devastating. Probably one of my favorite scenes in a movie ever, I'm calling it for my very own here. It's fucking transcendent of time and place, that scene.
    That scene kills me every time I see it. I cry during that moment.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Does yours have any static/grain problems with the picture? Specifically during the apartment bedroom dialogue scenes between Betty and Rita, or when they're in the lead actress meeting? I've read on Amazon's review section that there are compression issues with the MD bluray release, and this isn't the first time it's happened with a Criterion Collection release. Any issues on your end?
    Nothing that bothered me. It's a grainy film. In fact, every treatment I can remember of Lynch's films has had lots of coarse, pushed-looking grain. If he approved this transfer then of course it's going to look that way.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Nothing that bothered me. It's a grainy film. In fact, every treatment I can remember of Lynch's films has had lots of coarse, pushed-looking grain. If he approved this transfer then of course it's going to look that way.
    It's not grain that's the problem, it's pixelation.
    http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&d...&i=7#vergleich

And David probably didn't see the final product. He probably saw it before they compressed it for Bluray.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    It's not grain that's the problem, it's pixelation.
    http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&d...&i=7#vergleich

And David probably didn't see the final product. He probably saw it before they compressed it for Bluray.
    "Probably", as in, you're 95% sure of that? Or do you just assume it didn't happen? It looks fine to me. I don't see blotchiness when I watch it on a television, just in screencaps blown up to twice the size I'll ever see even with my face close to the screen. Certainly it's an improvement over my previous copy of this film. Is it perfect...? No, but I just want an enjoyable presentation, and for me this does that. Obviously the uncompressed 4K master would be better but I wasn't paying for that, was I?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    "Probably", as in, you're 95% sure of that? Or do you just assume it didn't happen?
    We all know David has an eye for detail. Had he seen the final product, he would have noticed these imperfections and they wouldn't be there to begin with. He's been pissed off in the past about releases looking flawed.

It looks fine to me. I don't see blotchiness when I watch it on a television, just in screencaps blown up to twice the size I'll ever see even with my face close to the screen.
    Well I and several others do notice it, even when it's not blown up. It's not the only release of theirs that has this problem. My Own Private Idaho has this problem as well, and it's even worse.
    http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a...=63167&i=1&l=1

Even if this is an insignificant issue to some people, that doesn't change the fact that they should fix it. It's an issue. You don't ignore issues, you fix them because they can become an even bigger problem later.

Certainly it's an improvement over my previous copy of this film.
    It's an improvement because it's a better scan of the negative. I'm not knocking them for the work they've done, all I'm saying is that there's a problem with the way they've been compressing things down for Bluray recently.

Is it perfect...? No, but I just want an enjoyable presentation, and for me this does that. Obviously the uncompressed 4K master would be better but I wasn't paying for that, was I?
    Here's the thing though: no release of a film will ever be perfect. However, Criterion are a company that pride themselves on quality. They have done some extraordinary work. But some of their recent work has not lived up to their usual standard of quality because of this issue and it's disappointing.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Barnes & Noble's 50% off sale started today.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    You called it, void: CC sale is 50% off from now until Nov. 30 on all Bluray and DVD at B&N. It applies to online purchases as well. Just do some research on the ones you want to make sure you aren't getting fleeced by CC's shitty encoding jobs as of late.
    I have an idea what I want. Some of them are Blind Spots while others are for upcoming Auteurs subjects for the next year and a few stuff that I really, really, really want. I hope it expands till December.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    If anyone is interested, I have Bottle Rocket, The Darjeeling Limited, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Life Aquatic, Royal Tenenbaums, & Rushmore Criterion Blu-rays for sale. Pretty much all of the Wes Anderson Criterions, except for Moonrise Kingdom. Fantastic Mr. Fox and Bottle Rocket were only played once, the rest unplayed. Beside being opened, they are as good as new. Nothing missing, no marks on the discs. Look and play absolutely pristine. I can provide pictures and here's my eBay account... http://www.ebay.com/usr/mykeyz84 in case you want to see my history and that I'm not some bullshit artist. PM me if you're interested.
    Looking to sell all 6 movies together for like $60
    If not, I may just post them on eBay or trade them in.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Picked up Mullholland Dr. It's been a while since I last watched this.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Something is definitely up with tyat Mulholland Dr. Transfer. My girlfriend, who has no experience looking at this thing kept asking about the video problems. The grain and errors are clear... Wtf? I hope they fix it.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    February

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    The Graduate AND The Kid?? YES!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Im down with the Graduate, but still burned about Mulholland dr. Hard to remain excited after a botch job like that, with no fix in sight.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Im down with the Graduate, but still burned about Mulholland dr. Hard to remain excited after a botch job like that, with no fix in sight.
    What are you referring to about that release? Pretty sure it got 5s all across the board on bluray.com

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    What are you referring to about that release? Pretty sure it got 5s all across the board on bluray.com
    Bad compression issues. Some people don't notice it, but I and others do. It's pretty bad in dark scenes.
    http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=2&x=...3&l=1&i=7&go=1

Could be worse though, I guess. I mean, look at My Own Private Idaho
    http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a...=63167&i=1&l=1

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I dont know the technical details but on my copy there is like static and noise in a lot of scenes, and sometimes its pretty severe.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    March

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    OK, I want Brighter Summer Day because of Edward Yang as he's a filmmaker I've heard of but had never seen any of his work. I like this. Thank you Criterion.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    OK, here's what I see: The New World (Terrence Malick), Chimes at Midnight (Orson Welles), The Squid & the Whale (Noah Baumbach), Easy Rider (Dennis Hopper) in a standalone release, A Taste of Honey (Tony Richardson), JFK (Oliver Stone), Three Kings (David O. Russell) or 3 Godfathers, and maybe, Dr. Strangelove (Stanley Kubrick).

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    APRIL

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Brief Encounter is a must as it's one of the finest films in British cinema. I definitely want that Whit Stillman box set as I'm a fan of his films. I definitely want to see Phoenix.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    MAY