Page 41 of 76 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 2264

Thread: spaceSuicide's Horrortastic Horrific Horror Film Thread...Of Horror!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    The Funhouse scared the beejesus out of me when it came out. RIP Tobe, you'll be greatly missed.

As for Poltergeist: there still is controversy as to who actually directed it. Hooper is credited but rumors have been flying since the movie came out that is was Spielberg who directed it. You can read about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polter...reative_credit

All I hope is that Spielberg will keep his mouth shut and let Hooper keep the credit.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    The Funhouse scared the beejesus out of me when it came out. RIP Tobe, you'll be greatly missed.

As for Poltergeist: there still is controversy as to who actually directed it. Hooper is credited but rumors have been flying since the movie came out that is was Spielberg who directed it. You can read about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polter...reative_credit

All I hope is that Spielberg will keep his mouth shut and let Hooper keep the credit.
    I agree! A great film! It's not your typical horror schlock either. It's also in my collection such as Lifeforce above:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Girl With All the Gifts
    Sadako vs Kayak
    Beware the Slenderman
    Creepy
    Split

XX
    Shut In
    Get Out
    Resident Evil The Final Chapter
    Prevenge
    The Bye Bye Man
    GhostWatch (1992)
    Rings
    A Dark Song
    Dig Two Graves
    The Devil's Candy
    From a House on Willow Street
    Life
    Raw
    It Comes at Night

A Cure for Wellness
    The Blackouts Daughter
    The Lure
    Hounds of Love
    Noroi: The Curse
    Phoenix Forgotten

Annabelle Creation
    Little Evil

Those are the horror movies I have seen for the first time this year. The ones in bold are the only ones I would recommend, and some of them (Split, It Comes At Night, Prevenge) aren't technically "horror". The ones in italic are OKAY but I wouldn't tell people to seek them out. I think the best one I have seen this year, and that I still often think about, would be Hounds of Love.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EPICRAGE View Post
    The Girl With All the Gifts
    Sadako vs Kayak
    Beware the Slenderman
    Creepy
    Split

XX
    Shut In
    Get Out
    Resident Evil The Final Chapter
    Prevenge
    The Bye Bye Man
    GhostWatch (1992)
    Rings
    A Dark Song
    Dig Two Graves
    The Devil's Candy
    From a House on Willow Street
    Life
    Raw
    It Comes at Night

A Cure for Wellness
    The Blackouts Daughter
    The Lure
    Hounds of Love
    Noroi: The Curse
    Phoenix Forgotten

Annabelle Creation
    Little Evil

Those are the horror movies I have seen for the first time this year. The ones in bold are the only ones I would recommend, and some of them (Split, It Comes At Night, Prevenge) aren't technically "horror". The ones in italic are OKAY but I wouldn't tell people to seek them out. I think the best one I have seen this year, and that I still often think about, would be Hounds of Love.
    thanks!

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    It will open at $117M, a record for an horror movie.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3...or-debut-ever/

This is good news for horror fans.
    Hopefully, studios will green light more horror projects.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Has anyone seen The Hatred?
    It has terrible reviews but it seems like the only horror movies that get good reviews are the ones with a clever concept (the babadook, it follows, the monster.)
    I like clever concepts as much as the next guy, but the main reason I watch horror is to be scared by scary ghosts and shit.
    At any rate, before I go to the trouble of obtaining this thing, I wondered if any of you could tell me if it's worth it.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Has anyone seen The Hatred?
    It has terrible reviews but it seems like the only horror movies that get good reviews are the ones with a clever concept (the babadook, it follows, the monster.)
    I like clever concepts as much as the next guy, but the main reason I watch horror is to be scared by scary ghosts and shit.
    At any rate, before I go to the trouble of obtaining this thing, I wondered if any of you could tell me if it's worth it.
    I haven't seen it. Like the premise. Added to watchlist.

I agree that sometimes we have to take chances on those low-rated titles.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Watched It comes at night and The Vault last night. The first had a good atmosphere and some scary moments (6/10), but The Vault was pure trash, avoid at all cost.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Announced as the "final film" in the franchise, next year's Halloween sequel will tie up Jamie Lee Curtis' character's storyline (again). This feels very uninspired, on the other hand, Carpenter (producing only) promised to help make this the scariest movie in the series, which would be nice. I already know I'll see it on the big screen when it comes out, so I'm rooting for the project.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/jamie-lee-curtis-halloween-finale-set-2018-1202560418/

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by decadent View Post
    Watched It comes at night and The Vault last night. The first had a good atmosphere and some scary moments (6/10), but The Vault was pure trash, avoid at all cost.
    I saw It Comes at Night in theaters when it came out and thought it was quite a let down. And I enjoy moody, slow-burning movies, but it was just not going anywhere, really.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Is anyone here watching Channel Zero? Second season (No End House) has begun. I thought the first season had some genuinely creepy moments although it kind of fell flat, especially towards the end.
    The series is based on creepypasta stories (first season on Candle Cove, second one on NoEnd House).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I watched BETTER WATCH OUT, previously known as Safe Neighborhood, today. It was awesome! It may be my second favorite horror film of the year after Hounds of Love. I'd recommend watching it RIGHT NOW but go in without seeing the trailer. AVOID SPOILERS!

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I just watched The Babadook this afternoon. HOLY FUCK!!!!!!! That was fucking incredible. There were some scary shit but man, Jennifer Kent fucking delivered with that film as did Essie Davis in a performance for the ages.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Just watched this so it prompted me to make a post in here. Any other fans of the classic 30's-50's black and white Universal films and their sequels?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Any other fans of the classic 30's-50's black and white Universal films and their sequels?
    I am. Bride of Frankenstein is one of my all time favorite movies.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I watched BETTER WATCH OUT, previously known as Safe Neighborhood, today. It was awesome! It may be my second favorite horror film of the year after Hounds of Love. I'd recommend watching it RIGHT NOW but go in without seeing the trailer. AVOID SPOILERS!
    I had this one on my watchlist for a while (when it was called Safe Neighborhood) and kinda forgot about it.

Just finished watching and I must say it was a fun ride. Glad you brought it up.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I'm looking forward to Happy Death Day. We're gonna see it on Saturday.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Anyone else watching the Friday the 13th series on, you guessed it, Friday the 13th? Just started Jason Takes Manhattan (not my favorite by any means) and after struggling through the abortion that is Part V, I still realize how much I love this series overall. Hope all of my fellow horror fans are enjoying this day and the month of October, and Happy Halloween to you all!

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Well, in honor of this great day. Here is a tribute to Jason Voorhees:

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Check out The Babysitter if you have the chance. In the same vein as Better Watch Out but with an added touch of comedy.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I watched Jigsaw today, and as someone who is a fan of the franchise despite IV-VII being very hit or miss, I found myself overall enjoying this latest entry. It offers nothing new with regards to the formula presented throughout the series--victims forced to endure elaborate traps while a group of law enforcement officials work in a race against time to catch the killer--but I did think it was a stronger entry in the series than the last few films. It moves at a brisk pace and kept my interest throughout. As someone who showed up to the theater every year on opening day to watch these movies it was very exciting to have another Saw movie on Halloween, although part of that is nostalgia. Jigsaw is a fun horror movie that I'd put above IV, V, VI, and VII (especially IV and VII), but as someone who recently revisited the series before this new entry came out, it doesn't touch the original or II and III, which still remain the strongest sequels, in my opinion. Worth a trip to the theater if you're a fan of the Saw franchise or want to watch a horror movie on the big screen for Halloween.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    So far, this month. I've seen a damn good number of horror films. The Babadook, Raw, Jigoku, The VVitch, The Innocents, Rear Window, and the original version of Last House on the Left as I always like to think of October as the best damn month to see films. Especially as I'm watching these different kind of horror films that really come all sorts of places.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    So we watched Raw and it is one of the best movies I've seen in awhile. The mrs thought so too.

I personally didn't really think it was a horror movie. But it's insanely rich in subtext and meaning and just really stunning to watch.

Also, it's now available on Netflix.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    So we watched Raw and it is one of the best movies I've seen in awhile. The mrs thought so too.

I personally didn't really think it was a horror movie. But it's insanely rich in subtext and meaning and just really stunning to watch.

Also, it's now available on Netflix.
    Agreed. It's a pretty fucked up film but it's so incredible. The things that would happen to people who are vegetarians and what happens when they're forced to eat meat. There's some stuff in that film that is intense.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Watched Annabelle Creation last night. 100x better than the first one and overall, a great horror flick. The last hour or so was relentlessly tense. Really liked it.

Ghost Adventures investigated the real doll last night as part of their 2-hour Halloween special. I'm gonna go watch this right now. They apparently took it out of her case.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Watched The Babadook last night for the first time...it was ok, I guess. I recommend tracking down a new-ish thriller movie called 'Pet'....and don't spoil it for yourself. Crazy good.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Watched Annabelle Creation last night. 100x better than the first one and overall, a great horror flick. The last hour or so was relentlessly tense. Really liked it.

Ghost Adventures investigated the real doll last night as part of their 2-hour Halloween special. I'm gonna go watch this right now. They apparently took it out of her case.
    Oh, well that's great news man.
    I was a little worried because it seemed like it wound up on dvd kind of fast (but my time perception might be off.)
    I'm gonna check it out today

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Agreed. It's a pretty fucked up film but it's so incredible. The things that would happen to people who are vegetarians and what happens when they're forced to eat meat. There's some stuff in that film that is intense.
    Sorry for double post but I really wanted to mention this.
    I thought that movie was pure allegory. I thought it was about going from a place of virginity to a place of carnality, on multiple levels

Also I do agree with you that the film is pretty damn intense.
    Although the goal of the film is not to be frightening, I kind of feel like you need to be a horror fan to be able to handle the surface level subject matter.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    After what you guys were saying about Raw I'm going to have to check it out. I watched Annabelle Creation I loved it, it was better than the first one however I think the first one could have been better if they had edited it better. The problem with the first one was that it dragged too much and the pace of the movie was lost. They definitely needed to cut some scenes especially near the end at the apartment.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    My wife and I were both really pleasantly surprised by Annabeele: Creation. There were parts of it that scared the hell out of the both of us and the cinematography was beautiful and felt like a Conjuring movie.

So apparently, they are building a full on "Conjuring Cinematic universe." There's two spin offs in the works: The Nun and The Crooked Man, as well as The Conjuring Three.

after seeing Annabelle Creation, I look forward to the spin offs and sequels. It wasn't Casablanca, but it's a frightening movie that's good enough to be connected to The Conjuring.