Page 76 of 76 FirstFirst ... 26 66 74 75 76
Results 2,251 to 2,270 of 2270

Thread: spaceSuicide's Horrortastic Horrific Horror Film Thread...Of Horror!

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    The Last Voyage of the Demeter was a good watch.

I kept thinking Clemens was Childish Gambino until I realised it was the actor who played Heath in The Walking Dead.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I just ordered Last Voyage on DVD, looking forward to it.
    edit: just finished it- really enjoyed it! I'll get to the bonus features later, but this one will be going into my October rotation.
    Last edited by versusreality; 01-17-2024 at 05:51 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Finally, a higher quality copy of Kiyoshi Kurosawa's film Sweet Home
    Last edited by Frozen Beach; 03-04-2024 at 03:11 AM.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Saw XI in September. Hoffman returns (according to his Instagram).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt30414742/

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Thoughts? I think it looks like it could be pretty solid.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The Miramax 'Halloween' tv series will be a creative reset for the series. Looks like it's well underway too, so that's exciting.

Important quote:

The foundation of it is the original film, the John Carpenter movie, the characters of that film, and perhaps a group of characters that we haven’t really focused on that much in recent film versions or even in a number of them. It's a creative reset completely and going back to the original film, as opposed to spinning out of any of the more recent film adaptations."

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    The foundation of it is the original film, the John Carpenter movie, the characters of that film, and perhaps a group of characters that we haven’t really focused on that much in recent film versions or even in a number of them..."
    Shit, who is left to focus on from the original film? They've already brought back every character at one point or another.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Shit, who is left to focus on from the original film? They've already brought back every character at one point or another.
    Obviously, no idea...like everyone else. This is my all-time favorite horror series so I'm cautiously optimistic but yeah. Who knows lol.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    In some good news today, looks like at least one bridge has been mended.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    ^^
    That sorta reminded me of Alien Isolation but with more facehuggers. Impossible to say from this teaser if it's good or shit, but so far I'm in. Please just let it be better than Covenant.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    It just looks like a product that has no need to exist.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Something Underneath View Post
    It just looks like a product that has no need to exist.
    I'll take a sequel that doesn't need to be there over any prequel that pretends to be seminal.

It's not like any Alien sequel needed to exist. Aliens kills the whole premise of Alien by basically saying "Hey, one xenomorph is kinda cool, but a thousand is way cooler, amiright ? High five !". On paper, it's a very lowbrow approach to the original's menace, something a kid would dream up.

I see Alien sequel like they're comic books. You've got a Cameron, a Fincher, a Jeunet (yep) take hold of a premise and run with it. If anything I wish the studios just let authors have their fun, it's a universe that lends itself to pure horror, action, metaphysical questioning or just campy fun. It's surprisingly adaptable, the lore is minimal (yeah, fuck Prometheus) and allows for any interpretation, just like its central recurring monster.

That Alien products don't need to exist is kinda part of the fun in my eyes. It's more often miss than hit, sure, but so far it's filled with lots of retrospective fun if you don't take it too seriously.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    What was the general consensus here re: Hellraiser 2022?

Just watched it and I didn’t hate it, but I didn’t care for it much either.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    What was the general consensus here re: Hellraiser 2022?

Just watched it and I didn’t hate it, but I didn’t care for it much either.
    It was okay. Better than the DTV sequels at least, but it felt like the Blumhouse version of Hellraiser. I felt like it could have gone farther than it did.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Anybody interested in this Omen prequel?

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muad'nin View Post
    Anybody interested in this Omen prequel?
    In general, I'm always pretty skeptical of any remake, sequel, prequel, reboot, requel, etc. Especially ones that involve riding the coattails of a great 70s horror film (see the latest Exorcist).

But even I have to admit the trailer for this looks pretty decent. Doesn't mean the movie will be, but so far so good. It probably helps that I never really loved The Omen all that much. It always seemed a lesser film than things like Rosemary's Baby, The Exorcist, and The Shining from that era of horror. I respect it for what it is, but creepy children in horror is a weird genre that does nothing for me and so the fact this story is going to focus on something other than a creepy kid might be good for it.

I should add though, that my bar for religious horror is pretty high this year, as I just saw Immaculate last weekend and it's going to be hard to top that I think. The film did not hold back any punches and was smartly written with a very clear point, a point it conveys without being too heavy handed and leaves the viewer with plenty of room for contemplation. Leaving the theatre I may have said it was a bit too lean, which would be a rare criticism from me because I love lean, concise films. After thinking about it for a week, I think it's efficiency will work in the long run and it's themes and messages will still be interesting many years from now.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I just saw Late Night with the Devil in the theaters, and I liked it. It’s supposed to come out streaming on Shudder in a couple weeks I think. Entertaining concept, interesting aesthetic, good acting… the possessed girl is legitimately unnerving. considering what it’s about it never really goes off the rails into batshit territory. Maybe the ending could have been a little more satisfying, but I’ll avoid spoilers.

I’d recommend it, at least to check it out when it comes out on Shudder

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)