Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Beetlejuice

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Beetlejuice

I'm referring to both the movie and the cartoon. I also saw a few mentions and references to Beetlejuice here, with some made also by me and wondered if there were fans of both the movie and cartoon since it actually has a greater cult following than I thought it did with both the movie and cartoon already being the enormous cult classics they are. I was also extremely hyped to see that The Complete Series of the cartoon series was also released officially on DVD through Amazon.com in 2013 and can only hope that it'll last there since it really is an Amazon Exclusive. I made sure to get it as quickly as I can as soon as I realized that it was on there as I thought that Beetlejuice was one of those TV shows that would've never ever see the light of day on DVD.

As for the movie, I also got it on DVD and it's the 20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition. For some reason, both the movie and TV show kept slipping my mind, but after re-watching them several times, it reminded me what I loved so much about both of them. The humor, the puns and gags as well as the stories and friendship/bond/relationship between Beetlejuice and Lydia. (At least in the cartoon's lore/universe.)

I'll also admit that I saw the cartoon way before the movie so I was very confused at first when I saw that Beetlejuice and Lydia weren't anywhere near best friends at all, but I still enjoyed it thoroughly nonetheless.

As far as the sequel, which seems to be called Beetlejuice 2, there was speculation of that being in the works since 2012, but aside from that, not much has been confirmed. It all still seems unlikely anyway because there was another sequel that didn't get made which was called Beetlejuice Goes Hawaiian, and it was announced in 1991. It's been so long since I watched and looked up anything related to Beetlejuice, let alone me watching any Beetlejuice at all that I just completely forgot about that too.

Anyway, for those of you that are actual fans of Beetlejuice, I also just wanted to know what your thoughts/opinions of the movie and/or cartoon were as of now.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 01-10-2017 at 05:26 AM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Still love both. I remember watching the cartoon on Nickelodeon when I was 4-6. Fun times and stuff. I still love the film. One of Burton's best to this day, to me.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i think the film was definitely one of burton's high points, and i'm glad the cartoon (unlike many other cartoon spin-offs based on movies) was so good in its own right. i always remember the episode with the depressed artist whose ears ran away (he was clearly inspired by van gogh).

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    It's a running punchline in my family because of how much it frightened my brother.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I still love the movie, haven't watched it in awhile, need to do that. I don't remember much of the cartoon but I definitely watched it all the time.

I don't think the sequel will ever happen, which I'm fine with. Movies stuck in development hell for years should probably stay there.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Always been a huge fan. I saw the cartoon way before the movie and have memories of wondering why BJ was such a malevolent unlikable jackass in the film by comparison, heh.

Don't think BJ2 should happen at all. Doesn't need a sequel, the characters are fine as they were left.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Loved the movie, but never liked the cartoon, i'm curious about BJ2, but at the same time i don't want it to happen, the movie is awesome on it's own!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    DO WANT

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Whoa.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Wow, was expecting this to be a lot more money, but, "Collectable Chalk?" Right around Halloween too .

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Glad I never bought it on blu-ray before. Guess it paid off.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I just watched the movie for the first time in forever. Loved it as much now as I did when I was a kid. Just a great movie--it's perfect--the story, the cast, the music, the visuals...

I remember the cartoon but haven't seen it in ages.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

My favorite scene. "I'll eat anything you want me to eat, I'll swallow anything you want me to swallow, but come on down and I'll... CHEW ON A DAWGG (Howls).

I lose it every time!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    My favorite scene:

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    The more I watch this movie, the more I'm convinced it's my favorite comedy. It's just dark enough to still be humorous, and rides this brilliant line between being disturbing and absurd. There's not too many movies that pull that off. Maybe Brazil, but that's not as "fun" as Beetlejuice. It's such a strange movie, but I myself am strange and unusual.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Also, the film score is great.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    One thing I don't understand, why do the Maitlands have to spend 125 years in the house? Also, what happens after the 125 years?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I just got the 4k disc for Xmas, and I'm watching it... and I just noticed for the first time that the bumper sticker on their car (which is visible only when their car is sinking in the river after dodging the dog) says "I Brake For Animals" on it.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    the musical just recently closed on Broadway. We went back in October. I was not prepared for it to be THAT much of a musical. I thought it would be mostly spoken acting, with a few songs sprinkled in. Nope! It was still pretty damn entertaining and funny, but there were alot of really annoying theater kids there that clearly had seen the show a hundred times and kept loudly screaming and reacting to everything in show. Very obnoxious reactions...think like if a bunch of young girls were seeing their favorite teen idol in concert. We Karen'd it up at intermission and moved away from them for the second part and enjoyed the show much more from them. All the moving parts of a big Broadway production like that were super interesting to see. We generally see more low-key plays if we go to the theatre at all, which is rare.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Beetlejuice 2 confirmed to release Sept 6, 2024. Keaton, Ortega (as Lydia's daughter), Justin Theroux, with Elfman returning to score.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Burton is returning as director.

I hope Catherine O'Hara makes a cameo.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Beetlejuice 2 confirmed to release Sept 6, 2024. Keaton, Ortega (as Lydia's daughter), Justin Theroux, with Elfman returning to score.
    that seems a little...on the nose?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I can't believe this is finally happening after hearing about it for like a decade. Here's hoping they stick the landing! It IS encouraging that Burton, Keaton, and Danny Elfman are returning in their respective roles.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I can't believe this is finally happening after hearing about it for like a decade. Here's hoping they stick the landing! It IS encouraging that Burton, Keaton, and Danny Elfman are returning in their respective roles.
    And you won't have to wait too long. What if I told you that production officially starts... today?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    One of the comments in this article: "It better be called Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice". Heh. That would be a nice little touch.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Michael Keaton is a national treasure. He's an underrated actor, usually picks good projects and is just plain cool as shit.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Michael Keaton is a national treasure. He's an underrated actor, usually picks good projects and is just plain cool as shit.
    Yeah, I've always liked him. He's having a bit of a career renaissance right now, too. It's crazy that he's reprising both of his most popular roles from the late '80s at the same time.