Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 1247

Thread: spaceSuicide's Horrortastic Horrific Horror Film Thread...Of Horror!

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    2,493
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Rob Zombie has announced his new movie called "31".
    It's a crowd funded project.

    http://www.fanbacked.com/c/31-rob-zombie-film/

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Watched The Faculty and Tucker & Dale vs Evil this weekend. The latter was hilarious! Can't believe I've been ignoring that movie for so long.
    They actually are working on a sequel to Tucker & Dale, although I'm cautiously optimistic since, even though I enjoyed the first one a lot, it was kind of all built around one joke to begin with.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    7,613
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Rob Zombie has announced his new movie called "31".
    It's a crowd funded project.

    http://www.fanbacked.com/c/31-rob-zombie-film/
    I think it deserves its own thread but the premise sounds amazing. it just sucks that it's fan funded. I have low expectations of it ever seeing the light of day now.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    2,493
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I think it deserves its own thread but the premise sounds amazing. it just sucks that it's fan funded. I have low expectations of it ever seeing the light of day now.

    Two words ... Veronica Mars.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    7,613
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Two words ... Veronica Mars.
    Apples and oranges.

    Veronica Mars: popular tv show, less of a niche genre, etc.

    vs.

    31: horror movie (niche genre), new universe (not linked to anything before), standalone piece

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    2,493
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Agree but Zombie has a good fan base. We'll see what happens. Sure hope it gets done.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    4,495
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    I would support... but after watching "Lords of Salem", i'm not that excited for a Zombie film anymore...

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    193
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rob Zombie's a mixed bag when it comes to filmmaking. He started out strong with House of 1,000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects is fantastic. It's certainly his best film. I really like Halloween, and while I understand why people didn't like it, you could have done a hell of a lot worse when it came to remaking such a horror classic. That said, Halloween II was shit, El Superbeasto was just not my cup of tea, and I've heard terrible things about Lords of Salem. It's an interesting concept to have the movie funded by fans, but the synopsis isn't the slightest bit original (then again, what modern horror movie is?) and reminds me of the video game Manhunt that came out ten years ago. Not exactly the same plot but that's what it reminded me of.

    On another topic, I've hit a dry spell when it comes to horror movies. Can anyone recommend any recent releases?

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Part of Texas Where Motherfuckers Actually Wear Cowboy Hats and Whatnot
    Posts
    4,672
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrselfdestruct94 View Post

    On another topic, I've hit a dry spell when it comes to horror movies. Can anyone recommend any recent releases?
    i am in the same boat. i fucking LOVE horror but can never find anything good enough.

    These are a couple that (as far as i know) didn't get huge releases. The Mexican made Here Comes the Devil was pretty damned good. Absentia was decent and so was Grey Skies. Mama was fucking amazing. Berberian Sound Studio and Pontypool were both very interesting on an intellectual kind of level.

    I assume you have seen Oculus, The Conjuring, Insidious 1 and 2 etc.

    That being said, i came to this thread for the same reason. I can't find SHIT that is actually scary or at least dark and intelligent.

    I go for the more paranormal type horror movies as opposed to slashers.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    193
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    i am in the same boat. i fucking LOVE horror but can never find anything good enough.

    These are a couple that (as far as i know) didn't get huge releases. The Mexican made Here Comes the Devil was pretty damned good. Absentia was decent and so was Grey Skies. Mama was fucking amazing. Berberian Sound Studio and Pontypool were both very interesting on an intellectual kind of level.

    I assume you have seen Oculus, The Conjuring, Insidious 1 and 2 etc.

    That being said, i came to this thread for the same reason. I can't find SHIT that is actually scary or at least dark and intelligent.

    I go for the more paranormal type horror movies as opposed to slashers.
    I've seen Insidious and Insidious: Chapter 2 and I thought both were great. As was The Conjuring, which is definitely a contender for one of the best horror movies of the last ten years. I wish James Wan would skip the Fast and Furious franchise and just keep making horror movies, as he's clearly on a creative high. It's a nice surprise considering I thought he was out for the count after the first Saw, which I love. However, Dead Silence and Death Sentence were not good, at all.

    I haven't seen Oculus and I regret not catching that when it was in theatres. I've heard nothing but good things. I'll check out Here Comes the Devil and Absentia, as well as the others you recommended. I liked Mama until they actually showed what 'Mama' actually looked like. I felt the last twenty minutes really killed the movie for me. Not what I was expecting and I didn't care for it that much.

    Off the top of my head for recommendations: I Saw The Devil, You're Next, The Woman, The Innkeepers

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    4,495
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrselfdestruct94 View Post
    On another topic, I've hit a dry spell when it comes to horror movies. Can anyone recommend any recent releases?
    "The Cabin in the Woods" and the remake of "Evil Dead" are the most decent horror films i've watched lately, the "Conjuring" it's ok, but highly overrated...
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 08-02-2014 at 11:05 PM. Reason: typos... typos everywhere....

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    7,613
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Most horror movies past 2005 are balls. two questions my friends:

    I really like Keifer Sutherland but never bothered watching Mirrors. Any good?

    If the store has it tonight, I will buy Silence of the Lambs on blu-ray. I have heard the sound remastering is crap, drowned out and the overall transfer is a bit mediocre. I was wondering if anyone here can give a first hand statement of the quality to me. Regardless of how shit it may be, I'll probably still buy as no other forms exist.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    1,673
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    I saw Mirrors and I really enjoyed it. It's worth a look.

    @elevenism This is coming out I don't know when but it looks like something you'd like:



    edit: release date in August 22.
    Last edited by marodi; 08-02-2014 at 12:25 PM. Reason: because Google told me the release date of the movie

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Part of Texas Where Motherfuckers Actually Wear Cowboy Hats and Whatnot
    Posts
    4,672
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrselfdestruct94 View Post
    I've seen Insidious and Insidious: Chapter 2 and I thought both were great. As was The Conjuring, which is definitely a contender for one of the best horror movies of the last ten years. I wish James Wan would skip the Fast and Furious franchise and just keep making horror movies, as he's clearly on a creative high. It's a nice surprise considering I thought he was out for the count after the first Saw, which I love. However, Dead Silence and Death Sentence were not good, at all.

    I haven't seen Oculus and I regret not catching that when it was in theatres. I've heard nothing but good things. I'll check out Here Comes the Devil and Absentia, as well as the others you recommended. I liked Mama until they actually showed what 'Mama' actually looked like. I felt the last twenty minutes really killed the movie for me. Not what I was expecting and I didn't care for it that much.

    Off the top of my head for recommendations: I Saw The Devil, You're Next, The Woman, The Innkeepers
    It sounds like we have similar tastes, man. I've seen the inkeepers but not the other three. But if You're Next is anything like Funny Games, that shit is not my cup of tea. I don't like seeing people tortured to death both psychologically and physically.

    Have you seen Antichrist? It was fucking AMAZING, although i found it to be too artsy to call it pure horror.

    Oculus is a must see for any supernatural horror fan.

    edit: and thanks, @marodi the otter.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    7,613
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    It sounds like we have similar tastes, man. I've seen the inkeepers but not the other three. But if You're Next is anything like Funny Games, that shit is not my cup of tea. I don't like seeing people tortured to death both psychologically and physically.

    Have you seen Antichrist? It was fucking AMAZING, although i found it to be too artsy to call it pure horror.

    Oculus is a must see for any supernatural horror fan.

    edit: and thanks, @marodi the otter.
    Not knocking you but you hate Funny Games for the shit it pulls with the murder angle after torture but like Anticrist which, in my opinion, has ten times worse content?

    O.o

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Part of Texas Where Motherfuckers Actually Wear Cowboy Hats and Whatnot
    Posts
    4,672
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Not knocking you but you hate Funny Games for the shit it pulls with the murder angle after torture but like Anticrist which, in my opinion, has ten times worse content?

    O.o
    You know, that crossed my mind.
    And here's what it is. I feel so much empathy for the people being hurt in the home invasion genre that it just fucks my head up. I just can't do it man. I can't hang.
    I can handle a wife murdering a husband (like in antichrist,) and even the baby dying.
    What i CAN'T handle is seeing intruders come into a family's home and terrorize, kill and torture them, in front of each other no less.
    It's just the way my mind works.

    My very worst fear is someone breaking in and raping my wife in front of me and then killing me.

  17. #77
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    193
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    It sounds like we have similar tastes, man. I've seen the inkeepers but not the other three. But if You're Next is anything like Funny Games, that shit is not my cup of tea. I don't like seeing people tortured to death both psychologically and physically.

    Have you seen Antichrist? It was fucking AMAZING, although i found it to be too artsy to call it pure horror.

    Oculus is a must see for any supernatural horror fan.

    edit: and thanks, @marodi the otter.
    I wouldn't group Funny Games and You're Next together simply because of the way they're both executed. Funny Games is very disturbing and played through as a straight drama with a mean streak running through it. It's the emotional equivalent of a sadistic little kid pulling the legs off an ant while it writhes in pain or tearing the wings off a butterfly. There is a very sick feeling you get while watching it. You're Next is a horror-comedy. While the family is being killed off one by one, there's a lot of dry humor that puts a lot more enjoyment into the movie than something like Funny Games could ever muster. You're Next is The Strangers with a sense of humor.

    I haven't checked out Antichrist. I'll definitely see it soon. Also, to the guy who recommended The Cabin in the Woods and Evil Dead 2013, I agree with you 100%. Two of the strongest horror films to have been released in the last two years. I love Cabin in the Woods and fucking hate the fact that most people who watch it don't understand the whole thing is making fun of the horror genre. I worked at a movie theatre at the time of its release and I was baffled how easily the concept went over people's heads. The Evil Dead remake was better than I expected. I went in with an open mind and absolutely no expectations. Repeat viewings at home have made me really come to like it.

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Part of Texas Where Motherfuckers Actually Wear Cowboy Hats and Whatnot
    Posts
    4,672
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrselfdestruct94 View Post
    I haven't checked out Antichrist. I'll definitely see it soon. .
    Antichrist blew my fucking mind. I ALMOST hesitate to call it horror because it is so artsy, but it IS pretty horrific.
    If you like darkness and artsy films, watch it asap!

  19. #79
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    1,673
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    You know, that crossed my mind.
    And here's what it is. I feel so much empathy for the people being hurt in the home invasion genre that it just fucks my head up. I just can't do it man. I can't hang.
    I can handle a wife murdering a husband (like in antichrist,) and even the baby dying.
    What i CAN'T handle is seeing intruders come into a family's home and terrorize, kill and torture them, in front of each other no less.
    It's just the way my mind works.

    My very worst fear is someone breaking in and raping my wife in front of me and then killing me.
    That's absolutely brilliant. That's the most spot on analysis of why any movie will affect people differently: it's all about how we relate to it.

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    213
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    The Shining > Jaws

    come at me bro.
    What was the point of comparing these? Both films are groundbreaking masterpieces in their own respects; each one dripping with depth and pushing the boundaries of what can be called a "genre film".

  21. #81
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    7,613
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Is it odd I don't really consider Jaws a TRUE HORROR film. So hard to classify it though.

    I'm about to watch the remake of Evil Dead. Looking forward to it.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 08-03-2014 at 10:11 PM.

  22. #82
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    213
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Is it odd I don't really consider Jaws a TRUE HORROR film. So hard to classify it though.
    If I were to classify it as anything, I'd say its a comedy. A highly sophisticated and subtle comedy, but certainly a comedy, possibly one of the greatest ever made. First half a satire of American life in the 70s of a culture, a culture that was trying to flee from the horrors of the Vietnam War it experienced just years before and live in denial; and the second half a violent, disturbing parody of z-grade monster flicks and Hollywood machismo and dick-waving.
    Last edited by nobies; 08-03-2014 at 10:42 PM.

  23. #83
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    7,613
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nobies View Post
    If I were to classify it as anything, I'd say its a comedy. A highly sophisticated and subtle comedy, but certainly a comedy, possibly one of the greatest ever made. First half a satire of American life in the 70s of a culture, a culture that was trying to flee from the horrors of the Vietnam War it experienced just years before and live in denial; and the second half a violent, disturbing parody of z-grade monster flicks and Hollywood machismo and dick-waving.
    LOL dat dick waving edit tho.

  24. #84
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    213
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The shark, if you really think about it, is a giant dick joke. Though to be honest, you can project anything onto the shark, or nothing at all. That's kind of the beauty of the whole thing, and what makes it so scary.

  25. #85
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    7,613
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nobies View Post
    The shark, if you really think about it, is a giant dick joke. Though to be honest, you can project anything onto the shark, or nothing at all. That's kind of the beauty of the whole thing, and what makes it so scary.


    Anyways, let's get back on topic...


  26. #86
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    7,613
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Anyways, I really enjoyed that remake of the Evil Dead and am looking forward to a sequel if they do one as I've read.

    To anyone that's never looked into it, the new Curse of Chucky film is worth a watch. A good return to form after the black comedy films that Bride and Seed introduced. I only hated Chucky's hair in the new film, in all honesty.

    Fox is releasing a special set of new Faceplate cover blu-ray horror film releases on September 9th. I'm going to nab Silence of the Lambs and Jeepers Creepers. The latter is a film my friend has loved and I've always wanted to see but never did. Now 11 years later I'm going to blind buy it and watch it. I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Anyone here like?

  27. #87
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    4,495
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    "Curse of Chucky" was great, a good return to the "horror roots of the franchise", i like "Jeeper Creepers" too, the movie is nothing from another world but it's damn entretaining and funny at times, i really like the locations too

  28. #88
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    342
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post

    Fox is releasing a special set of new Faceplate cover blu-ray horror film releases on September 9th. I'm going to nab Silence of the Lambs and Jeepers Creepers. The latter is a film my friend has loved and I've always wanted to see but never did. Now 11 years later I'm going to blind buy it and watch it. I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Anyone here like?

    Jeepers Creepers
    is one of my favorites, yet strangely, I don't even own the DVD, so I'm looking forward to this Blu-ray release in September. I think I've only seen it once, back when it was first released for rent. It's far overdue for a second viewing.
    As for the sequel..... don't bother.

  29. #89
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    7,613
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Findus View Post

    Jeepers Creepers
    is one of my favorites, yet strangely, I don't even own the DVD, so I'm looking forward to this Blu-ray release in September. I think I've only seen it once, back when it was first released for rent. It's far overdue for a second viewing.
    As for the sequel..... don't bother.
    You can see the cover artworks here:

    http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...13&postcount=1

  30. #90
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    2,493
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    For those hitting a dry spell, here are a few titles I got recently but haven't watched yet. Not responsible for bad content!

    The Sacrament
    Banshee Chapter
    I Spit On Your Grave 2

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions