Page 37 of 76 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 2270

Thread: spaceSuicide's Horrortastic Horrific Horror Film Thread...Of Horror!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Hammer marathon of Dracula beginning soon on TCM

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I was wondering what is the general consensus when it concerns Alfred Hitchcock and his movies?
    Has anyone here seen any of his silent movies? I haven't yet.
    I remember when I was younger going to my school library that had a book about him and the movies he directed. The book contained many extravagant pictures that where black, white, gray, and red of Alfred doing some of his iconic poses and information about his legacy.
    It made me want to start watching his films. Alas, when I was older I started to watch some of the films that where available to me.
    The films such as psycho, Birds, and Vertigo are among my favorite films of his.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    watched Silent Night, Deadly Night yesterday & was not let down. Super low budget, poor direction, editing & acting, multiple unnecessary scenes of nudity...it was glorious. All the authentic 80's stuff going on (film came out in 1984) was great too.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ziltoid View Post
    I was wondering what is the general consensus when it concerns Alfred Hitchcock and his movies?
    Has anyone here seen any of his silent movies? I haven't yet.
    I remember when I was younger going to my school library that had a book about him and the movies he directed. The book contained many extravagant pictures that where black, white, gray, and red of Alfred doing some of his iconic poses and information about his legacy.
    It made me want to start watching his films. Alas, when I was older I started to watch some of the films that where available to me.
    The films such as psycho, Birds, and Vertigo are among my favorite films of his.
    I would add Rear Window and Strangers On A Train to that list. He definitely has a nice resume.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I wonder why TCM didn't show The Satanic Rites Of Dracula? It was the only one they didn't show.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    I wonder why TCM didn't show The Satanic Rites Of Dracula? It was the only one they didn't show.
    Probably distribution rights. I know that over here some random company has the rights to that one and it pops up on odd networks a lot.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Probably distribution rights. I know that over here some random company has the rights to that one and it pops up on odd networks a lot.
    am I correct in remembering that at one time, it was public domain?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    Saw it last night and thought it was complete garbage, last 30 minutes included. I'm not a big horror fan but I really liked the original, was expecting this one to at least not be horrible. It was just a bunch of jump scares thrown together around the same mythology we already heard with bad characters and terrible writing. Thank god for $5 Tuesdays at my local theater.
    That was my take on the new Blair Witch as well, I felt the movie was just genuinely bad from start to finish, it relied far too much on the shaky cam gimmick to try and cover up the numerous other flaws with the film.

the screen shake was to such an extreme where my wife felt like she was going to throw up from motion sickness.

on top of all that the film was rife with very questionable decisions in regards to writing, prime example being the darklord666 character - I have zero idea what that individual's motivations were, and they seemed to be completely random and whatever the scene required them to be. it make him seem absolutely fake in every incarnation.

the drone was the dumbest stupid gimmick that i can recall from a movie ever.

really the biggest sin in my book was the "stick figures" it was such a powerful icon of dread in the first film, that was then so completely and utterly mishandled in the new film that it was insultingly bad.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I just realized that the movie announcer on Halloween 1 & 2 is the same announcer for the Silver Shamrock commercials in Halloween 3

and as for Halloween 2, this was the first time I've watched it in years. Always shrugged it off as an unnecessary sequel, like the rest. But there's some really good dialogue, and the score is absolutely fantastic.
    Last edited by Frozen Beach; 11-01-2016 at 06:18 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    finally watched Re-Animator last night. Was not expecting such a fun movie. The guy who plays Dr. West REALLY sells it.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    finally watched Re-Animator last night. Was not expecting such a fun movie. The guy who plays Dr. West REALLY sells it.
    Jeffrey Combs is a damn good actor. Shame he doesn't always get good work to act in. I recommend watching both Bride Of Re-Animator and From Beyond.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I've watched some new unknown titles so here's some rapid fire reviews.

Fear Inc.: Glad I found this one. It's about an horror immersion experience. I thought it had some nice twists. Acting was below average for me but it did not take too much away from the fact that I really liked the concept and story of the movie. Solid 6/10.

The Dark Stranger: This one was a bit all over the place. I really didn't like it. It failed to grab my attention from the get-go and it never recovered. You can avoid this one. 4/10.

Friend Request
    : I kinda digged this one. I guess it can be compared to Unfriended. Definitely has a similar subject. A lot less webcam stuff in Friend Request though. Worth checking out . 6/10.

Clowhouse: An old one from the late 80s. If you don't like clowns, I guess this one is for you. It had some nice suspenseful scenes but overall, it didn't really strike me as an awesome horror movie from the 80s. 5/10.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    So @Deepvoid , Fear Inc we should check out, me, the Mrs and mom?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Is the Ouija sequel any good? I see that it's surfaced online.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Good to know. I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip.
    @elevenism Yeah I think you're gonna get a kick out of it. Don't let the first 15 minutes get to you. It looks kinda cheesy at first but when it shifts gear, yeah it gets fun.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    i've yet to find it without hardcoded Asian subs, so i haven't caught it yet.

I expect it to be good though, because i ADORED Oculus and Absentia, both of which were written and directed by Mike Flanagan, as is Ouija: Origin of Evil.

Also, it has an 82% rating on rotten tomatoes. They are saying that it's surprisingly good and lots better than the first one.

Will you guys let me know if you find it without hardcoded subs?
    Last edited by elevenism; 11-14-2016 at 07:18 PM.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Yes, it's good! Not perfect by any means, but a good horror flick with some genuinely scary moments

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Finally found a way to stream subtitles on my ps3. This opens up a whole new world of horror movies to me. So I'm gonna ask you guys, what's your top 5 foreign horror movies. First one I watched was House from Japan. Pretty wild movie. What should I watch next?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Finally found a way to stream subtitles on my ps3. This opens up a whole new world of horror movies to me. So I'm gonna ask you guys, what's your top 5 foreign horror movies. First one I watched was House from Japan. Pretty wild movie. What should I watch next?
    kiri kiri

If you're really just starting out, then Audition by Takashi Miike. Still one of my favorite psychological horror movies, ever.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Not really scary by today's standard, but a good, beautiful film (one of the best looking films I've ever seen) is Kwaidan. Warning, it's 3 hours but it's comprised of 4 stories.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Just got Audition but haven't watched it yet though. Went for The Devil's Backbone, which was alright I guess. It has glorious reviews so my expectations were high. Just didn't quite meet them.

I did watch Don't Breathe over the weekend. I absolutely loved it. So tense, I was literally holding my breath when they were. Loved the directing, great acting throughout. Alvarez hit this one out of the park.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

Can't wait for this!

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    So 31 was a big disappointment. The characters were uninteresting. I really didn't care if anyone would survive or not. There really was nothing to get excited for to be honest. Probably his worst to date as far as I'm concerned.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Yoga Hosers was a huge disappointment for me, having loved Tusk and being a lifelong Kevin Smith fan.

He did say, however, that he was making this movie for tween girls. I thought it was some sort of meta-joke, but now i think he was completely serious.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tried watching Audition but my version could not read the subs. Gotta find another one.
    Instead I went with The Vanishing (the 1988 version). It was pretty good. Kinda sad and depressing but good nonetheless.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Blair Witch has surfaced online. Just settling down to watch it now.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Late to the party I know but I bought 31 on blu Ray today. It has its flaws but I enjoyed it very much. Don't get the hate. If you like Rob Zombie's films you'd love it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Watched Silent Night on Chiller last night. I knew it was a loose remake of Silent Night, Deadly Night, but I'd never seen it before and thought it was a solid horror movie.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    If you like Rob Zombie's films it felt right at home up his alley? I enjoyed it. It had flaws and issues with characters but I loved the clown designs, their names (made me think of White Zombie song titles...thank Electric Head for that) and overall feel. It wasn't supposed to be super involved or thought provoking. The troop here will never live up to the Firefly Family but damnit if Doom-Head wasn't one of the coolest designed characters in recent horror films.

Did I really care about any of the carnival employees? No? Was I supposed to? I didn't feel like it mattered really. It was a gorefest with a subtle plot that worked well within its boundaries.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 12-27-2016 at 07:35 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Blair Witch has surfaced online. Just settling down to watch it now.
    thanks.
    i'm all over it.

also, post number 1111 in this thread